The Plant Based Diet

Have not watched it, I think I will though. I could not give up meat, unless I absolutely needed to for health reasons.

i tried it for a little while. it was extremely difficult. and if your significant other isn't on the same page, it's almost impossible.

I saw the show last week. If you enjoyed that type of show, watch “Fat, sick, and nearly dead” and Engine 2

I’ve read a bit into The China Study as well.

my take is that I believe in moderation is key along with intermittent fasting. it’s too much to talk about lol

I saw the show last week. If you enjoyed that type of show, watch “Fat, sick, and nearly dead” and Engine 2

I’ve read a bit into The China Study as well.

my take is that I believe in moderation is key along with intermittent fasting. it’s too much to talk about lol

I'm sold in intermittent fasting but as you said, too much to talk about.

I’ve been on TB12 / Purple Carrot for over two years now. So 6 meals plus a week are completely vegan. I don’t aspire to the vegan mindset. But the energy I get from eating all of those plants it amazing. My body does a lot better with a lot of plants in my diet.

The version I’m on is high protein so there is no lacking in that department. It also changes what I choose for other meals.
Very interesting!

One of the things that seemed constant in the feedback of that type of diet is a ton of energy.

Very interesting!

One of the things that seemed constant in the feedback of that type of diet is a ton of energy.
I’ve got a few free purple carrot vouchers if someone want to try it. I’d need an email address. DM me.

The “secret “ if you truly don’t want to play is order you first free kit. Then immediately put next on hold. Otherwise you’ll have to buy the next week.

i tried it for a little while. it was extremely difficult. and if your significant other isn't on the same page, it's almost impossible.

the last part is where I would struggle lol

I know very healthy vegetarians.
I know very healthy keto/bullet proofers.
I know very healthy vegans.
Only you know your own body. Try them all and find what makes you look, feel and function better. Not just physically but mentally, emotionally and spiritually. For me, I like a high fat, low carb diet. My wife is pescatarian so we can usually eat most meals together. It works for us!

I also love to throw down beer on occasion which doesn't fit my low card, high fat diet. and thats OK.

I have nothing of value to add to this conversation. I eat too much and I eat poorly - which I'm finding is harder and harder to cope with as I age. Being in construction I'm very active 5 days a week which I think has helped me get away with my terrible eating habits for the most part.

I've successfully managed to severely cut my beer intake, which I think is good. I'd like to go one step further and limit the amount of sugar I eat next.

Also, for the argument for the need for dietary cholesterol earlier in the thread - your body produces it itself without having to eat meat.

Your body produces enough to satisfy basic needs. Not enough for hormone optimization. There are numerous PubMed studies highlighting this fact.

The same could be said about Vitamin D levels. Unless one is in the sun every day, they’d likely need to supplement for optimal levels.

I've been watching a very interesting video on Netflix right now, "The Game Changers" and it's pretty fascinating.

Here's some info on what the movie is about;

As a combatives instructor for the US military (including the US Marines, US Army Rangers, and US Navy SEALs), as well as a former UFC fighter, I see the human body as a powerful machine with the potential for excellence in many areas, including strength, speed, stamina, and recovery. Until I got badly injured while training, I never thought this potential had much to do with food, which I saw mainly as just calories and protein.

But, unable to train for six months after my injury, I started researching the optimal diet for recovery and stumbled across a study about the Roman gladiators which concluded that they ate little or no meat. This seemed really far-fetched to me since I was confident that animal protein was necessary to build muscle, sustain energy levels, and recover from injury. So I flew to Austria to meet the researchers who made this discovery and left convinced that the gladiators — known at the time as Hordearii, or “the Barley Men” — really did train and compete on a plant-based diet.

This shocking discovery launched me on a five-year quest for the Truth in Nutrition, modeled after Bruce Lee's Truth in Combat philosophy: "Research your own experience, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own.” Beginning with this mindset, I put every preconception I had about nutrition to the test, traveling to four continents to meet with dozens of the world’s strongest, fastest, and toughest athletes, as well as leading experts on athletics, nutrition, and anthropology.

What I discovered was so revolutionary, with such profound implications for human performance and health — and even the future of the planet itself — that I had to share it with the world.

It's a very intriguing take on what humans were designed for, how performance athletes take on a plant based diet (and their increased energy levels), and the health benefits. Honestly, it's the first time I've even considered such a lifestyle, but I'm definitely fascinated by it.

Anyone else watch this, or subscribe to a plant based diet? Would love to see some thoughts on it.
We watched the documentary this weekend and started a plant-based diet that we intend to stay on until 11/23 (going back to Houston for Thanksgiving and by God I SHALL eat turkey!!).

Anyway, there were some compelling arguments. I do take all Netflix documentaries with a big grain of salt as there always seems to be a bias to the left politically. Demonizing meat is part of the whole climate change/social justice scam now, so I take that into consideration.

I would like to see a counter-argument to the documentary if it's out there. Until then, I'll just see how I feel after doing plant based for the next 12 days.

Haven't watched, but listened to an interview with Wilks and some things were fishy on what he reported pre/post diet change. Listened to some other things than came across this article. It is biased as all things are, but the items that got me were that both Cameron and Arnold have companies that produce/sell vegan products.

Haven't read all of it, but just food for thought on those interested in a discussion.

Haven't watched, but listened to an interview with Wilks and some things were fishy on what he reported pre/post diet change. Listened to some other things than came across this article. It is biased as all things are, but the items that got me were that both Cameron and Arnold have companies that produce/sell vegan products.

Haven't read all of it, but just food for thought on those interested in a discussion.
Loving this read. Only part way through.

Thanks for sharing!

There is a lot misunderstood and falsely perpetuated about the agricultural industry as it pertains specifically to meat production. There’s been IMMENSE reform over the past decade by the big players in the game and that’s consistently being lost among the same old videos and such of the worst of the worst.

As for the GMO and Organic things, one of my favorite things to teach about in my AP classes because the media has made such a mess of both. GMO specifically is hilarious, it’s not someone in a Lab using nuclear particles to morph things, it’s cross breeding that’s existed since the dawn of organized agriculture.

As someone who lives in the cradle of agriculture in this country and has grown up around/among it, it’s both hilarious and scary the things that media, celebrities, and just urban center people think they know, but just don’t.

That’s good to hear, I figured there was going to have to be some major changes, so I’m glad to learn that’s happening.

I think GMOs will actually be incredibly Important in the future, the ability to make crops with better yields using less resources will be important.

any diet that doesn't include fried chicken is not a diet for me

but if some people like eating birdseed and grass and think electron droppings make their elbow feel better, have at it

I'm no good with diets so I practice the one I can stick with. Moderation...I know it sounds redundant but it works for me.

Mmmm plants! I love plants under a nice big pile of meat! I kid I kid.

Do whatcha want. Eat whatcha want and as long as it works for you, I’m happy for ya.

That’s good to hear, I figured there was going to have to be some major changes, so I’m glad to learn that’s happening.

I think GMOs will actually be incredibly Important in the future, the ability to make crops with better yields using less resources will be important.

Hugely important in the developing world, where access to things like supplements isn't possible, and people have a hard time getting the nutrients they need.

One example: Golden Rice - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice

Eat what you want. Be healthy about it.

except for people. Don’t eat people.
what he said....I like pizza;)

love the debate though, moderation on the intake, mix in some exercise, I'm good to go......

@Canadan i always include vegetables with my meals. My suggestion is to always keep some frozen veggies on hand. Sure fresh is great, but in a pinch, or if you just don’t feel like dealing with fresh, frozen is fine. You can find a ton that are steamable in the bag. Makes it super easy to add some veggies to your meals. A little garlic salt goes a long way too or hot sauce.

We're one step closer to the turkey dinner in pill form, just pop in the microwave! #FifthElement

Or gum form, Willy Wonka style.

You can pry this ribeye out of my cold dead fingers...

As an aside I wish I could “just hop on a plane to Austria to learn more” lol!

Funny how a meat/non meat diet thread causes more arguments than an Apex vs P790 thread, lol.

My thoughts, and I’m a big fat man, is that the more folks eat plants the cheaper the beef will be for me. So I ain’t arguing this one. Everyone enjoy what they’d like and I know my body is no longer a precision tuned instrument.

In fact as a newly turned bachelor I’m about to go have a ham and cheese croissant pocket for dinner, lol. It’ll burn the hell out of my mouth and offer almost no nutritional value, but I do take a multi vitamin so I should be alright.

Back