The Plant Based Diet

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been watching a very interesting video on Netflix right now, "The Game Changers" and it's pretty fascinating.

Here's some info on what the movie is about;

As a combatives instructor for the US military (including the US Marines, US Army Rangers, and US Navy SEALs), as well as a former UFC fighter, I see the human body as a powerful machine with the potential for excellence in many areas, including strength, speed, stamina, and recovery. Until I got badly injured while training, I never thought this potential had much to do with food, which I saw mainly as just calories and protein.

But, unable to train for six months after my injury, I started researching the optimal diet for recovery and stumbled across a study about the Roman gladiators which concluded that they ate little or no meat. This seemed really far-fetched to me since I was confident that animal protein was necessary to build muscle, sustain energy levels, and recover from injury. So I flew to Austria to meet the researchers who made this discovery and left convinced that the gladiators — known at the time as Hordearii, or “the Barley Men” — really did train and compete on a plant-based diet.

This shocking discovery launched me on a five-year quest for the Truth in Nutrition, modeled after Bruce Lee's Truth in Combat philosophy: "Research your own experience, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own.” Beginning with this mindset, I put every preconception I had about nutrition to the test, traveling to four continents to meet with dozens of the world’s strongest, fastest, and toughest athletes, as well as leading experts on athletics, nutrition, and anthropology.

What I discovered was so revolutionary, with such profound implications for human performance and health — and even the future of the planet itself — that I had to share it with the world.

It's a very intriguing take on what humans were designed for, how performance athletes take on a plant based diet (and their increased energy levels), and the health benefits. Honestly, it's the first time I've even considered such a lifestyle, but I'm definitely fascinated by it.

Anyone else watch this, or subscribe to a plant based diet? Would love to see some thoughts on it.

If you want to know what we all evolved to eat, look at your teeth in the mirror.

If you decide to try it for more than a month or two be sure to consume supplemental iron. Otherwise you will likely end up anemic. I’d also get a CBC lab every 3-4 months to watch it.

Also, you need dietary cholesterol for proper hormone function. It’s tough to get without eating at least some meat. Low testosterone leads to many more problems besides a lack of lean body mass. Specifically, it plays a role in mental health and general well being. Cholesterol in moderation is not the evil some zealots want people to believe. And low testosterone is related to heart disease just as excessive levels are.

I prefer the everything (or most things) in moderation.

If you want to know what we all evolved to eat, look at your teeth in the mirror.

If you decide to try it for more than a month or two be sure to consume supplemental iron. Otherwise you will likely end up anemic. I’d also get a CBC lab every 3-4 months to watch it.

Also, you need dietary cholesterol for proper hormone function. It’s tough to get without eating at least some meat. Low testosterone leads to many more problems besides a lack of lean body mass. Specifically, it plays a role in mental health and general well being. Cholesterol in moderation is not the evil some zealots want people to believe. And low testosterone is related to heart disease just as excessive levels are.

I prefer the everything (or most things) in moderation.
You would do well to watch the documentary. It covers pretty much all that, including the teeth shape.

My favorite part was from one of the strongest men in the world when someone talked about being 'as strong as an ox' and the response was "and what does the ox eat"? :ROFLMAO:

You would do well to watch the documentary. It covers pretty much all that, including the teeth shape.

My favorite part was from one of the strongest men in the world when someone talked about being 'as strong as an ox' and the response was "and what does the ox eat"? :ROFLMAO:

I read about it and the ideas it pushes when it was released. They argue our teeth aren’t totally designed for meat, but they aren’t totally designed for plants either. It’s common sense. You don’t have the same teeth as an Ox, do you? You also don’t have the same digestive system and an ox. So why would you think you should eat the same diet?

Also, you should research who was behind the film and why they would benefit monetarily from people eating a plant based diet.

I read about it and the ideas it pushes when it was released. They argue our teeth aren’t totally designed for meat, but they aren’t totally designed for plants either. It’s common sense. You don’t have the same teeth as an Ox, do you? You also don’t have the same digestive system and an ox. So why would you think you should eat the same diet?

Also, you should research who was behind the film and why they would benefit monetarily from people eating a plant based diet.
Alright, since I know what nonsense is going to stem from this (per usual), I'll just summarize and you can move on.

1- Plant based diets are stupid
2- The people behind this have an agenda
3-blah blah blah I just saved us about an hour of our time

Alright, since I know what nonsense is going to stem from this (per usual), I'll just summarize and you can move on.

You asked for thoughts, so I gave some to you and with reasons as to why I think the way I do.

The plant based diet, like any other fad, is not the end all-be all human diet. Neither is keto, south beach, pescatarian, vegan, vegetarian, blah, blah, blah.

** never mind, not worth it
You should try it for 3-4 months. Have a CBC done before and after along with hormone levels, including SHBG. Report back with your labs.

It won’t kill you, it might even help in some areas depending on what your diet is now. But if you don't supplement iron you will be at least borderline anemic and despite what the film says, your hormones will be compromised due to SHBG.

The game changers on Netflix. I’ll try to watch it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should try it for 3-4 months. Have a CBC done before and after along with hormone levels, including SHBG. Report back with your labs.

It won’t kill you, it might even help in some areas depending on what your diet is now. But if you don't supplement iron you will be at least borderline anemic and despite what the film says, your hormones will be compromised due to SHBG.
Even when I don't respond, you just can't help yourself. Good lord, move on.

Wow - a militant omnivore (not you, Canadan.)

I think different diets work for different people, and I certainly respect everyone's right to practice according to his/her convictions.

That said, I've found in the last few years that boosting/eliminating certain types of foods to address certain health issues can create other health issues. Dietarily speaking, I've become a "moderation in all things" guy.

I worked for a company where our CEO was a vegan. He wasn't militant about it - it was the one area of his life where he was quite reasonable actually, but he loved to go on and on about how much he loved broccoli and garbanzo beans, until one day in a staff meeting, a co-worker could take it no longer, and said, "Look, I eat food. You eat what food eats."

I think different diets work for different people, and I certainly respect everyone's right to practice according to his/her convictions.

That said, I've found in the last few years that boosting/eliminating certain types of foods to address certain health issues can create other health issues. Dietarily speaking, I've become a "moderation in all things" guy.

I worked for a company where our CEO was a vegan. He wasn't militant about it - it was the one area of his life where he was quite reasonable actually, but he loved to go on and on about how much he loved broccoli and garbanzo beans, until one day in a staff meeting, a co-worker could take it no longer, and said, "Look, I eat food. You eat what food eats."
haha, that's funny!

i'm certainly not in any hurry to give up meat, although it does put an excellent perspective on moderation, maybe adding more veggies and reducing my overall meat intake -- Although i've been pondering that one for a while now.

Definitely not the case. I just think people shouldn’t succumb to fad diets, especially because of what they saw on Netflix.

Looks like a pretty powerful director with a company that has a lot to gain from this lifestyle.

Looks like a pretty powerful director with a company that has a lot to gain from this lifestyle.
Have you watched it?

Wasn't so much the story as told but those who are actually fully invested in the lifestyle that fascinated me. Very strong, very athletic people going all in and having great success with it.

I’d be interested in watching it. Thanks for sharing. I’ve really been considering going plant based diet for awhile now. I actually know several people that have been for quite some time now. One guy I was friends with in college was a top D1 college soccer player and went on to play in a pro league in Europe for several years. He never at meat, strict vegan.

I did eat vegetarian for a couple of years in the 1990s. I don’t know know that I saw any performance benefits but also didn’t have info on how I might craft a diet for that. All I did was exclude meat. Started meat consumption again on a Grand Canyon rafting trip where I was starving and everyone else was eating bacon. ?

My wife has helped me to craft some different Ayurvedic food choices through her Yoga work. I do see benefits in energy and focus when I follow her recommendations.

Lately I’ve been on a terrible eating pattern. That needs to change.

Have you watched it?

Wasn't so much the story as told but those who are actually fully invested in the lifestyle that fascinated me. Very strong, very athletic people going all in and having great success with it.

Nope was just answering his question which made me research it. I’m sure I’ll get around to it but it was worth noting.

Nope was just answering his question which made me research it. I’m sure I’ll get around to it but it was worth noting.
I wasn’t trying to make Dan angry. I was just presenting the facts. It’s up to the individual to determine their opinion of those facts. There has been a ton of counter material put out in the short time the video has been released.

There are very few exceptional athletes that can manage on the plant based diet. And I would suspect they have to work harder to achieve what they have, at the very least when it comes to their frame of mind. Especially if they were meat eaters before making the switch.

For those of you who don’t know, the films executive producers include James Cameron and his wife Suzy Amis Cameron. Cameron is the founder of Verdiant Foods, an organic pea protein company and has the goal to become the largest organic pea protein fractionation facility in North America. He’s also partnered with Ingredion, one of the leading global ingredient suppliers, racking up an investment of $140 million.

I know plenty of vegetarians and only one of them would I call an exceptional athlete. He takes protein/amino acid supplements since a plant based diet is incomplete in providing essential amino acids. I know lots of exceptional athletes that eat healthy and include lean unprocessed meat in their daily diets.

I subscribe to the everything in moderation and as I’ve aged I’ve slowly become a healthy eater. I try not to eat any processed foods and at least 8 servings of vegetables and fruits each day. I drink a lot less than I used to although I still drink beer almost everyday but it’s not 5 a day like it was for a couple decades. For me to feel healthy I have to exercise, eat right, and keep my weight below 185. I’m still amazed at how much abuse the human body will take as I know a lot of people who are 40+ pounds overweight, sedentary(many are my relatives) and still remain healthy well into their 70’s.

Last edited:

I watched the documentary this morning. Very interesting. I’m especially interested in the aspects that positively affect artery health and function, blood pressure, and inflammation.

I too was surprised at the number of elite athletes that had plant based diets. Even some quite famous ones like Carl Lewis. Saw Tom Brady’s picture in it at the end... he’s 80% plant based with no nightshade or fungus (tomatoes peppers mushrooms)

I might be willing to do a 7 day challenge. Whole foods, no meat, dairy, flour, limited sugar. See if it drops my bp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn’t trying to make Dan angry. I was just presenting the facts. It’s up to the individual to determine their opinion of those facts. There has been a ton of counter material put out in the short time the video has been released.

There are very few exceptional athletes that can manage on the plant based diet. And I would suspect they have to work harder to achieve what they have, at the very least when it comes to their frame of mind. Especially if they were meat eaters before making the switch.

For those of you who don’t know, the films executive producers include James Cameron and his wife Suzy Amis Cameron. Cameron is the founder of Verdiant Foods, an organic pea protein company and has the goal to become the largest organic pea protein fractionation facility in North America. He’s also partnered with Ingredion, one of the leading global ingredient suppliers, racking up an investment of $140 million.
I do think that last part there is very much worth noting.

It’s not saying it can’t work, it’s been proven to work with some but it’s also putting only their angle on a lot of the things in the story of what we were/weren’t built for. And yes I watched it last night.

To the original question, f**k no I couldn’t. I’m a believer that we’re designed to run optimally with many of the nutrients we find in meat. Now, present day can we supplement most/all of that via other means? Of course, but it doesn’t mean we should.

That said, vegetarianism and the likes aren’t new things, we know people can survive and even thrive off of it. But theres no way in hell I’d give up meat personally.

Food/diet conversations are always interesting to me. There’s nothing outside of maybe clothing as trendy or fad driven as diets. This one though at least makes more sense than the stupid GMO or Organic debates...which are both ******** but I digress.

I want to subscribe to a all things in modertion diet. I work out like a madman but food has always been my achilles heel. I think there is much to like going more plant based.Do that for a while then see how I feel and what my bloodwork and over all health looks like then decide how to move forward from there. I eat too much red meat and junk in general The idea of just stopping for me is absurd. But cutting back is a good starting point. The funny thing is I am not overweight but live on crappy food.

Back