The Plant Based Diet

I do think that last part there is very much worth noting.

It’s not saying it can’t work, it’s been proven to work with some but it’s also putting only their angle on a lot of the things in the story of what we were/weren’t built for. And yes I watched it last night.

To the original question, **** no I couldn’t. I’m a believer that we’re designed to run optimally with many of the nutrients we find in meat. Now, present day can we supplement most/all of that via other means? Of course, but it doesn’t mean we should.

That said, vegetarianism and the likes aren’t new things, we know people can survive and even thrive off of it. But theres no way in hell I’d give up meat personally.

Food/diet conversations are always interesting to me. There’s nothing outside of maybe clothing as trendy or fad driven as diets. This one though at least makes more sense than the stupid GMO or Organic debates...which are both ******** but I digress.

Fun fact (at least as I understand it) GMO and Organic are legally "null" terms. The requirements to meet those criteria are either so vague as to be useless, or non-existent. They're marketing terms, and nothing more.

As for the plant-based diet...I think we'll end up there eventually strictly from an environment impact point of view. Mass farming does a lot of damage to the environment and isn't really sustainable. Maybe better farming practices will come along and we can reach an equitable balance (man I hope so. I looooove bacon) but I think we'll see meat consumption drop a lot in our lifetimes.

Fun fact (at least as I understand it) GMO and Organic are legally "null" terms. The requirements to meet those criteria are either so vague as to be useless, or non-existent. They're marketing terms, and nothing more.

As for the plant-based diet...I think we'll end up there eventually strictly from an environment impact point of view. Mass farming does a lot of damage to the environment and isn't really sustainable. Maybe better farming practices will come along and we can reach an equitable balance (man I hope so. I looooove bacon) but I think we'll see meat consumption drop a lot in our lifetimes.

Organic still has requirements, but I agree, they are both marketing terms.
I also agree that the meat we receive is very different than what our grandparents used. I am a capitalist, but corporate control of our nutrition is something I struggle to support.
While I won't be going plant based, I do think responsible actions need to start to at least trend towards some of our legislatures and companies that are controlling this.

I know plenty of vegetarians and only one of them would I call an exceptional athlete. He takes protein/amino acid supplements since a plant based diet is incomplete in providing essential amino acids. I know lots of exceptional athletes that eat healthy and include lean unprocessed meat in their daily diets.

I subscribe to the everything in moderation and as I’ve aged I’ve slowly become a healthy eater. I try not to eat any processed foods and at least 8 servings of vegetables and fruits each day. I drink a lot less than I used to although I still drink beer almost everyday but it’s not 5 a day like it was for a couple decades. For me to feel healthy I have to exercise, eat right, and keep my weight below 185. I’m still amazed at how much abuse the human body will take as I know a lot of people who are 40+ pounds overweight, sedentary(many are my relatives) and still remain healthy well into their 70’s.

You can get all of the essential amino acids from a plant based diet, it just takes a bit more work. There are very few sources that have all of the essential amino acids in them (quinoa is one, and I’m drawing a blank on the others right now). For instance, beans and rice combine to give you all of the amino acids you need. But I tend to take the approach you’re describing here when I’m eating well, which I feel like I’m very much not right now so this thread is a good reminder. I’ll eat meat, but try to limit it and get “full” on vegetables. It’s worked for me.

Also, for the argument for the need for dietary cholesterol earlier in the thread - your body produces it itself without having to eat meat.

You can get all of the essential amino acids from a plant based diet, it just takes a bit more work. There are very few sources that have all of the essential amino acids in them (quinoa is one, and I’m drawing a blank on the others right now). For instance, beans and rice combine to give you all of the amino acids you need. But I tend to take the approach you’re describing here when I’m eating well, which I feel like I’m very much not right now so this thread is a good reminder. I’ll eat meat, but try to limit it and get “full” on vegetables. It’s worked for me.

Also, for the argument for the need for dietary cholesterol earlier in the thread - your body produces it itself without having to eat meat.
I was reading something saying that rice and beans alone aren't all that valuable because they are incomplete, but combined they are excellent.

It's kind of amazing how some food works together with each other to be beneficial.

Eat what you want. Be healthy about it.

except for people. Don’t eat people.

I was reading something saying that rice and beans alone aren't all that valuable because they are incomplete, but combined they are excellent.

It's kind of amazing how some food works together with each other to be beneficial.

Do you know what is not meat Canadan? Cheese Pizza.

There is a lot misunderstood and falsely perpetuated about the agricultural industry as it pertains specifically to meat production. There’s been IMMENSE reform over the past decade by the big players in the game and that’s consistently being lost among the same old videos and such of the worst of the worst.

As for the GMO and Organic things, one of my favorite things to teach about in my AP classes because the media has made such a mess of both. GMO specifically is hilarious, it’s not someone in a Lab using nuclear particles to morph things, it’s cross breeding that’s existed since the dawn of organized agriculture.

As someone who lives in the cradle of agriculture in this country and has grown up around/among it, it’s both hilarious and scary the things that media, celebrities, and just urban center people think they know, but just don’t.

There is a lot misunderstood and falsely perpetuated about the agricultural industry as it pertains specifically to meat production. There’s been IMMENSE reform over the past decade by the big players in the game and that’s consistently being lost among the same old videos and such of the worst of the worst.

This is a very good point. It doesn't change my feelings of the marketing (see free range as an example), but the best part of all of this is, the ability of choice for proteins is now much more than a handful of companies.
The reform is a great start, and while more needs to be done in terms of humanity and health, the target is at least moving now. Although I believe GMO moves a bit further than that.

Rice and beans is also more tasty than it should be, when thinking about it.

As for the GMO and Organic things, one of my favorite things to teach about in my AP classes because the media has made such a mess of both. GMO specifically is hilarious, it’s not someone in a Lab using nuclear particles to morph things, it’s cross breeding that’s existed since the dawn of organized agriculture.

As someone who lives in the cradle of agriculture in this country and has grown up around/among it, it’s both hilarious and scary the things that media, celebrities, and just urban center people think they know, but just don’t.

I think GMO goes one step past the cross-breeding stuff and has to include transgenic/gene engineering tech, but your point here is 100% why I don't care about this kind of stuff. It's not like the stuff that's "natural" is any less artificial. It just took longer to modify it. And other "stuff" may have come along for the ride. You could argue GMO is a "cleaner" way to do some beneficial things.

Speaking with registered dietitians, especially those that focus on strength and condition for people who are not world class athletes, I have decided to continue to eat meat, dairy, eggs fish, grains, fruits and vegetables. I am not an oxen or a gorilla so I will not eat like one.

If another person chooses to do so, go forth and be happy.

I think this is great conversation and I'm enjoying reading it.
The only thing two things that I can add is
  1. that I'm amazed how technology had progressed to the point that we can grow enough Plant based protein to eliminate some meats from our diet. Heck they have Plant Butter now - Dairy Free....
  2. Just seems every time they find a mountain man that is umpteen thousand years old and they take parts of what was not digested in their stomach, they always seem to find some type of animal protein. Just seems to go away from that is not how our bodies were attended to run on.

I love watching food documentaries. Forks over knives, in search for the perfect human diet, the magic pill, what the health. Supersize me. Corn kings, food inc. etc etc etc.

I have watched them all. I have come to the conclusion that they all have an agenda of a sort. Agendas are not really bad, but they tend to leave out info that does not support their individual hypothesis. For many, diets become like religion and it becomes a lifestyle more than just a diet. It has to, or you cannot be successful.

After watching all these docs. I have decided that I will eat what I want and just try to make good choices. I just try to limit dairy as it makes me gassy and bloated and uncomfortable and my wife likes me less.

Last edited:
I love watching food documentaries. Forks over knives, in search for the perfect human diet, the magic pill, what the health. Supersize me. Corn kings, food inc. etc etc etc.

I have watched them all. I have come to the conclusion that they all have an agenda of a sort. Agendas are not really bad, but they tend to leave out info that does not support their individual hypothesis. For many diets become like religion and it becomes a lifestyle more than just a diet. It has to, or you cannot be successful.

After watching all these docs. I have decided that I will eat what I want and just try to make good choices. I just try to limit dairy as it makes me gassy and bloated and uncomfortable and my wife likes me less.
I watched "What the Health" as well. Some pretty obvious biases, but also some very interesting discoveries as well. Who these huge orgs are sponsored by, and their total lack of interest in being transparent is fascinating.

No question about it, you need a pretty strong filter to digest these documentaries, but it's hard to get through any of them without taking a minute to really consider who is driving the dietary rhetoric in this country.

I love all the differing opinions in here so I will give mine.
I do love red beans and rice. Together they are a match made in heaven, but....
They must have one thing to complete the holy trinity of food.... Andouille Sausage !

Show me the meat !!

I watched "What the Health" as well. Some pretty obvious biases, but also some very interesting discoveries as well. Who these huge orgs are sponsored by, and their total lack of interest in being transparent is fascinating.

No question about it, you need a pretty strong filter to digest these documentaries, but it's hard to get through any of them without taking a minute to really consider who is driving the dietary rhetoric in this country.

I completely agree. Even if I completely disagree with the premise, research and findings of one of these individual food health docs, I typically come away with a single idea. Refined sugar and sweets should be avoided, and I want to try and eat healthier.

My personal opinion is that before anyone makes a drastic diet change such as going KETO, or Vegan or whatever. Cut out refined sugar first and eat normal. See what that does for you.

Have you watched it?

Wasn't so much the story as told but those who are actually fully invested in the lifestyle that fascinated me. Very strong, very athletic people going all in and having great success with it.
One thing to consider is that professional athletes have the time, energy, and resources to do a plant based diet. They can pay for the supplements needed to sustain a human being without animal proteins. They can also afford to monitor themselves for hormonal and vitamin deficiencies.

We literally know about 5% of how the human body works and about .05% of how the brain works. Anything that anyone says about anything health related (even your physician) should be taken with a grain of salt, researched, and backed up by a 2nd opinion. If you watch a documentary about plant based diet then you should also watch a paleo diet documentary before deciding to do anything because it's healthy to review both extremes.

If you want to do something that will truly make a difference and everyone agrees on then stop eating sugar. Cut out everything sweetened with sugar from your diet. Nothing bad will happen and a ton of great things will happen.

I completely agree. Even if I completely disagree with the premise, research and findings of one of these individual food health docs, I typically come away with a single idea. Refined sugar and sweets should be avoided, and I want to try and eat healthier.

My personal opinion is that before anyone makes a drastic diet change such as going KETO, or Vegan or whatever. Cut out refined sugar first and eat normal. See what that does for you.
my thoughts after watching a lot of these are pretty unsurprising... Extremes are never good, but loading up on veggies will continue to be a huge benefit to anyone. I will still enjoy my meats, but will consider serving size a lot more (which I needed to do anyways).

Also, all these companies, all these orgs, and all these movies... They all have an agenda. Maybe that's the real epidemic hahaha

You can get all of the essential amino acids from a plant-based diet, it just takes a bit more work. There are very few sources that have all of the essential amino acids in them (quinoa is one, and I’m drawing a blank on the others right now). For instance, beans and rice combine to give you all of the amino acids you need. But I tend to take the approach you’re describing here when I’m eating well, which I feel like I’m very much not right now so this thread is a good reminder. I’ll eat meat, but try to limit it and get “full” on vegetables. It’s worked for me.

Nearly all of vegan's and vegetarians I know are teenage to twenty-something females(many of them very "woke") who fail to educate themselves on what nutrients they are missing by their plant-based diet. My daughter gave up meat for almost a year when she was in high school and also gave up all fluids other than water for a year on a challenge so I've had to educate myself and her on what is needed to supplement a plant-based diet.

B12 is lacking in plant-based diets and requires fortified foods or a supplement. You can find many animal rich nutrients in plants but you need to understand the quantity required may be much different than many vegetarians realize. An example would be you can get all the daily protein you need from 5 oz. of chicken breast (230 calories) but it takes 1,000 calories of almonds to get that same protein. I've attached an article below about seven nutrients you can't get from plants for those who are interested.

BTW, my doctor makes a very convincing argument that a plant-based AND restricted-calorie diet is the key to longevity. (he strives for no more than 2,000 calories daily and is 6 foot, 140 lbs.) He's also a strong proponent of less than 4 alcoholic drinks per week. I simply can't get myself to eating that way and/or giving up my beer. We all make choices each day which affects our health and I try to choose moderation with food and regular exercise. My father and grandmothers lived healthy lives with zero medications well into their 80's following that advice.

Nearly all of vegan's and vegetarians I know are teenage to twenty-something females(many of them very "woke") who fail to educate themselves on what nutrients they are missing by their plant-based diet. My daughter gave up meat for almost a year when she was in high school and also gave up all fluids other than water for a year on a challenge so I've had to educate myself and her on what is needed to supplement a plant-based diet.

B12 is lacking in plant-based diets and requires fortified foods or a supplement. You can find many animal rich nutrients in plants but you need to understand the quantity required may be much different than many vegetarians realize. An example would be you can get all the daily protein you need from 5 oz. of chicken breast (230 calories) but it takes 1,000 calories of almonds to get that same protein. I've attached an article below about seven nutrients you can't get from plants for those who are interested.

BTW, my doctor makes a very convincing argument that a plant-based AND restricted-calorie diet is the key to longevity. (he strives for no more than 2,000 calories daily and is 6 foot, 140 lbs.) He's also a strong proponent of less than 4 alcoholic drinks per week. I simply can't get myself to eating that way and/or giving up my beer. We all make choices each day which affects our health and I try to choose moderation with food and regular exercise. My father and grandmothers lived healthy lives with zero medications well into their 80's following that advice.

Woke... Now there is a discussion... Jeez.

Woke... Now there is a discussion... Jeez.

You can't even imagine how many woke females there are on college campuses and in high schools. I have a son and daughter in college and another daughter in high school so I'm often exposed to that age group. It's been quite entertaining. ;)

You can't even imagine how many woke females there are on college campuses and in high schools. I have a son and daughter in college and another daughter in high school so I'm often exposed to that age group. It's been quite entertaining. ;)

I have 3 daughters. 8, 6 and 3.. I am not looking forward to those years.

I have 3 daughters. 8, 6 and 3.. I am not looking forward to those years.

You'll be fine as long as you raise them to not need a safe room and counseling after something you don't agree with happens (like Trump winning an election). My son was living on campus and witnessed it first hand 3 years ago. :D

Have not watched it, I think I will though. I could not give up meat, unless I absolutely needed to for health reasons.

I've been watching a very interesting video on Netflix right now, "The Game Changers" and it's pretty fascinating.

Here's some info on what the movie is about;

As a combatives instructor for the US military (including the US Marines, US Army Rangers, and US Navy SEALs), as well as a former UFC fighter, I see the human body as a powerful machine with the potential for excellence in many areas, including strength, speed, stamina, and recovery. Until I got badly injured while training, I never thought this potential had much to do with food, which I saw mainly as just calories and protein.

But, unable to train for six months after my injury, I started researching the optimal diet for recovery and stumbled across a study about the Roman gladiators which concluded that they ate little or no meat. This seemed really far-fetched to me since I was confident that animal protein was necessary to build muscle, sustain energy levels, and recover from injury. So I flew to Austria to meet the researchers who made this discovery and left convinced that the gladiators — known at the time as Hordearii, or “the Barley Men” — really did train and compete on a plant-based diet.

This shocking discovery launched me on a five-year quest for the Truth in Nutrition, modeled after Bruce Lee's Truth in Combat philosophy: "Research your own experience, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own.” Beginning with this mindset, I put every preconception I had about nutrition to the test, traveling to four continents to meet with dozens of the world’s strongest, fastest, and toughest athletes, as well as leading experts on athletics, nutrition, and anthropology.

What I discovered was so revolutionary, with such profound implications for human performance and health — and even the future of the planet itself — that I had to share it with the world.

It's a very intriguing take on what humans were designed for, how performance athletes take on a plant based diet (and their increased energy levels), and the health benefits. Honestly, it's the first time I've even considered such a lifestyle, but I'm definitely fascinated by it.

Anyone else watch this, or subscribe to a plant based diet? Would love to see some thoughts on it.

I’ve been on TB12 / Purple Carrot for over two years now. So 6 meals plus a week are completely vegan. I don’t aspire to the vegan mindset. But the energy I get from eating all of those plants it amazing. My body does a lot better with a lot of plants in my diet.

The version I’m on is high protein so there is no lacking in that department. It also changes what I choose for other meals.

Back