The Possibility of Another Morgan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^
THIS!!!

This is the part that I find so ironic. So many are discussing how they stayed out of the MC thread because of the trash talk, yet there were 10-15 other threads that offered virtually none of that and was just about equipment and there was no posting in there either. Trash Talk = Scape Goat based on analytics in my opinion.

That's a really great point JB and Hawk. Good call.

So to put it into perspective...

It became a bigger deal to everyone on the forum once it got closer to the event and that once sides were drawn. The wager thread is a prime example. So much love/hate Cantrell that thread and i personally felt like a lot more people were involved/on the edge of their seat involved in the Morgan cup. Maybe that is something to improve on. I liked OGs idea too

^^^^^
THIS!!!

This is the part that I find so ironic. So many are discussing how they stayed out of the MC thread because of the trash talk, yet there were 10-15 other threads that offered virtually none of that and was just about equipment and there was no posting in there either. Trash Talk = Scape Goat based on analytics in my opinion.

I guess that's how I feel too. There were people that weren't comfortable getting boastful at first, but really made some great things happen in the end. Jake was quite possibly the worst 'trash talker' in the history of the world 5 months ago. Yet, he realized that it was part of the promotion of the event and made some INCREDIBLE videos and posts. Captain Intensity, Captain MeMe, Lawn Chair, etc. He was able to laugh at himself through it all.

So to put it into perspective...

It became a bigger deal to everyone on the forum once it got closer to the event and that once sides were drawn. The wager thread is a prime example. So much love/hate Cantrell that thread and i personally felt like a lot more people were involved/on the edge of their seat involved in the Morgan cup. Maybe that is something to improve on. I liked OGs idea too

Please read my response on why it CANNOT happen that way.
And also please understand that the MC is far bigger than the forum. If it was just about the forum, we would just put up YouTube videos in the forum of the event and call it a day. Rather than have live streaming and video going by multiple cameras for 3 straight days.

^^^^^
THIS!!!

It was because of two of those threads my bag is set up the way it is now. The TM Xft wedge thread and the callaway fast irons thread provided me with great info and conversation that helped me make the choices I did.

Tapping my way down the highway

Last edited:
Nice post lcs! And thanks for being honest.

I agree with Hawk and JB, there were plenty of threads to discuss each sponsors equipment. The fact is, people ignored them, and I agree with lcs above me, the fact that we were getting some sick equipment, all pimped out, probably just pissed some people off, so they didn't participate. Let's just call it what it is at this point.

Yes I read those threads Hawk I'm referring to the MC thread and the impression it gave. I read most of the reviews on the site because honestly the equipment impressions is what I find most interesting. If someone new is coming to the site they may overlook those reviews as just another posting them instead of the MC participant and once again I never felt like the vested interest was to the community like it could have been. Those involved were no doubt involved in something that was a once in a lifetime experience. I'm really happy they all had a chance to play like a pro.

That's sort of my point about the nature of a forum being selfish. That's not a dig on you, btw. I think that some enjoyed the banter, some enjoyed the equipment, some liked both, and some ignored both.

I don't think there's a really easy answer to getting forum members involved unfortunately.

I took the trash talk the wrong way a few times early on, but got better about it as the event approached. Like others have mentioned, you can't tell tone over the Internet, and that was an issue sometimes. I really thought that TC was going to bite my head off during our match on Saturday afternoon as much as he trash-talked me. :alien: In reality, the guy couldn't have been nicer to play a round of golf with.

hahaha, I'm a softy dude. We had a blast. But I want a rematch!

I will only say that there were at least seven or eight threads on the equipment that these guys were playing. Were you reading or posting in there? That's not a smart-a$$ question, btw. Just curious.

^^^^^
THIS!!!

Before I turn on and go through other comments this IS A BIG POINT MANY MISSED AND STILL MISS. I bet anything too this wont even be acknowledged.

I don't think there's a really easy answer to getting forum members involved unfortunately.

Of course not. You can only do so much because people will only be involved if they want to. If they choose not to be involved, you can't do anything about it. It just sucks when they complain about it later.

That's sort of my point about the nature of a forum being selfish. That's not a dig on you, btw. I think that some enjoyed the banter, some enjoyed the equipment, some liked both, and some ignored both.

Right my interests is more on equipment than anything else. That doesn't mean I'm jealous of people getting free stuff or I'm selfish, it's just the reason I found THP and what keeps me coming back. Hell I can go out and buy anything worth owning if I want it that bad and trust me this site has made me fork out quite a few hundred bucks, see R9 irons, Driver with shaft etc. But I do see how people react to contests when they don't win and how jealous they get if they aren't chosen to test things. I think in my two years here I have won the Tom Watson DVD, a box of B330 RX and I got to test the Taylormade Penta's before they came out, which I reviewed thoroughly for others to form an opinion. I felt honored to get a chance to do those things because if I wasn't involved with THP in some capacity I would have never had a chance to do those things.

That is not the case at all. There were separate threads on EVERY piece of equipment that was received for this very reason. You know what though, you keep saying over and over again "apparently I didnt get it" and I want to address it. What didnt you get? That it wasnt about the competition? That it was off topic every single day even by you? That we got daily updates on your golf schedule with your daughter? Or eveyrbody's score for that day? Or what they were eating for dinner? NOBODY tried to ever keep it on topic and based on everybody that was involved, that was inevitable. But I do find it near comical that a guy that is rarely on topic or serious got charged up over that.

I can read between the lines with the best of them and yes I dont think everybody saw that event for what it was supposed to be. I have also said numerous times that that was OUR fault and nobody elses.

You know I posted significantly about how well I was playing with the R11 driver and the wedges, and at more than one point was basically told that wasn't what people wanted to hear. My golf is intertwined with that of my daughter, as was my preparation for the event. So was my losing 40 pounds and how I did to prepared to compete and be on camera. I thought people might find that interesting I certainly understood the event was about the growth of THP and support of the sponsors. I thought my contributions might be contributing to that. But then it turns out it's not about competition, even though you wanted everybody trash talking 24 hours a day. Now from some of the comments in this thread it appears that wasn't appealing to some of the members. I gave what I could hoping it was enough. I've had the feeling for a while that it wasn't enough.

Kevin

Please read my response on why it CANNOT happen that way.
And also please understand that the MC is far bigger than the forum. If it was just about the forum, we would just put up YouTube videos in the forum of the event and call it a day. Rather than have live streaming and video going by multiple cameras for 3 straight days.

I saw the post by you after i read his idea and went to post. I watched the stream and watched every video throughout the event without the IT guys us at home never would have been able to watch. JB you provided everything to everyone that you could. And it was 1st class

I meant it when I said that I'm wasn't taking a shot at you, James :) I get that you are here for that reason and understand it. I don't think you were jealous or selfish (in a negative way) either.

My point is that people are here for their own reasons and it's very difficult for us to get them to change that.

Right my interests is more on equipment than anything else. That doesn't mean I'm jealous of people getting free stuff or I'm selfish, it's just the reason I found THP and what keeps me coming back. Hell I can go out and buy anything worth owning if I want it that bad and trust me this site has made me fork out quite a few hundred bucks, see R9 irons, Driver with shaft etc. But I do see how people react to contests when they don't win and how jealous they get if they aren't chosen to test things. I think in my two years here I have won the Tom Watson DVD, a box of B330 RX and I got to test the Taylormade Penta's before they came out, which I reviewed thoroughly for others to form an opinion. I felt honored to get a chance to do those things because if I wasn't involved with THP in some capacity I would have never had a chance to do those things.

Wow this thread has blown up. I have a few points to add after reading all of it.

1. A lot of people were disapointed they didn't make it and its perfectly understandable. It was an amazing, one of a kind event. I was disappointed I didn't make it as well. You know what though, those 16 people deserved their spot and everyone had the chance. In life there are winners and losers. Just be happy someone had the chance to live that experience and share it with them. I've never met TC or Biggsy or CB, but it feels like I could call them up and go out for a beer and say what you want they make THP a better place and they were first class ambassadors.

2. All this talk about it being about the equipment. If anyone says it wasn't about that at all. They're lying IMO. To have the chance to game equipment fit to you and having reps making you feel like a tour pro. All of us here love golf equipment, look at all the posts when new stuff comes out. We're like kids in a toy store at Christmas. The big part of the MC was Tour pro treatment. Gear, scripting and promos. That's awesome. Most of us play skins or league and Ryder Cup style events. Competition was not what it was all about. The friendships that were developped were just a huge added bonus.

3. For all the videos and all the banter that was missed. The sheer number was staggering. I don't have a lot of time to myself between work, sports and other commitments, but when I do I spend a lot of time here and I just don't have time to catch up on all and if I do spend time catching up, I don't have time to post on everything. I do agree with some posters that a lot of the banter, it was very easy to feel outside the loop, forcing my way into trashtalk where I have no hand in the outcome just doesn't feel right. Doesn't mean I/others weren't following up. Don't want to point a finger at anyone, but during the build up, some MC'ers didn't post almost anything other than MC related threads. It was that time consuming.

4. Outings and MC. I can't justify going to Orlando for a demo day and golfing with cool people in terms of cost in my disposable income and vacation time. It just won't fly at home. If I lived closer, I'd go in a heartbeat. A MC is a chance of a lifetime, see my thoughts in point 2. I can justify that, I was a good athlete growing up and some of my friends went on to play pro and I missed out on that. If I can live it just for one weekend and the months leading up to it, I can't put a price on that.

That's my .02.

Fanastic post. Very honest.

hahaha, I'm a softy dude. We had a blast. But I want a rematch!

I promise you'll get a rematch at some point buddy. I want to get back to Asheville at some point, I've never played golf around there.

Of course not. You can only do so much because people will only be involved if they want to. If they choose not to be involved, you can't do anything about it. It just sucks when they complain about it later.

Well said. Some people are always going to be jealous of things that they are not a part of. I hope that in future events like this, people that aren't playing in the events can feel more a part of the event, I'm just not sure right now how to make that happen.

You know I posted significantly about how well I was playing with the R11 driver and the wedges, and at more than one point was basically told that wasn't what people wanted to hear. My golf is intertwined with that of my daughter, as was my preparation for the event. So was my losing 40 pounds and how I did to prepared to compete and be on camera. I thought people might find that interesting I certainly understood the event was about the growth of THP and support of the sponsors. I thought my contributions might be contributing to that. But then it turns out it's not about competition, even though you wanted everybody trash talking 24 hours a day. Now from some of the comments in this thread it appears that wasn't appealing to some of the members. I gave what I could hoping it was enough. I've had the feeling for a while that it wasn't enough.

Kevin
I posted a comment in the original MC thread about too much trash talking and took a "hit" for that. Funny thing was I got a number of PM's from people who agreed with me. lol

I did watch some of the interviews and promo's but to be honest they just sounded like the people were reading it off a advertisement.

Sorry you felt that way because it really wasn't that way when we shot them.
You want to know what my Callaway rep told me before every video, "Have fun with it." I would ask, is there anything you want me to touch on, he would say "Have fun with it"
I can't speak for anyone else, but majority of everything that I said in the promos was off the cuff.

I posted a comment in the original MC thread about too much trash talking and took a "hit" for that. Funny thing was I got a number of PM's from people who agreed with me. lol

Im sure you did Sean. And yet ironically as trash talk escalated more views, impressions, uniques, etc... were all viewing the thread.
And while I wont get into what PMs said that were sent to me, there were hundreds that were received about the MC thread overall.

You want to know what my Callaway rep told me before every video, "Have fun with it." I would ask, is there anything you want me to touch on, he would say "Have fun with it"
I can't speak for anyone else, but majority of everything that I said in the promos was off the cuff.

hahaha, I know. Now I feel like my promos sucked. There were no scripts, that was just us, talking. It wasn't an easy thing to do either b/c there were 15 people standing there watching you, including the PR reps from Callaway and Taylormade!

hahaha, I know. Now I feel like my promos sucked. There were no scripts, that was just us, talking. It wasn't an easy thing to do either b/c there were 15 people standing there watching you, including the PR reps from Callaway and Taylormade!

WOW, I never knew I sucked at that, it was nerve racking to begin with because I thought it wouldn't come off well. I guess I was right.

yup they weren't easy to do, but they were fun.

"Well, back to the range." Or something like that? That was good! :)

Sooooo much stress. I don't think I could handle it reasonably. You guys did well.

And please don't think I'm taking a shot at you guys. Hell if it were me I probably would have just stood there and been like when I hit the ball it goes in the air. I don't know how you could do it any other way other than what I suggested and show you hitting balls with it and you regular club side by side and seeing launch monitor numbers kind of like the Nick Faldo Burner Iron commercial a few years ago. I guess what I was trying to say was the promo's just didn't give me the type of information other than your typical I like the look, Club feels good, I hit it further that you see in any advertisement if that makes sense. Maybe fewer promo's but more indepth? Again, that is just how I perceived it and is 100 percent my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back