The Possibility of Another Morgan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the whole "ignore" thing goes do you think part of it could be because a lot of the folks posting know each other so they may have more of a tendency to pay more attention to the posts of the folks they know versus the posts of the folks they don't know?

I'm gonna ask it even though I don't want to. Was anyone else turned off by all the angry trash talk? I personally did not like the tone sometimes.

Spot on KB and same Sean.. It just wasn't for me plus I hadn't been around long enough to get to know some of these people. I think it would be different now..look at the outing thread. I love reading that thread..always a good read even if it is about OG hahaha

As far as the whole "ignore" thing goes do you think part of it could be because a lot of the folks posting know each other so they may have more of a tendency to pay more attention to the posts of the folks they know versus the posts of the folks they don't know?

No and I think mcook showed that quite well. Nobody has ever met him or seen him. Yet he had no problem coming in and being involved quite a bit.

Normally I agree Griff. But I also think if everybody can keep it just in this thread and keep it fairly civil, its a good way to get to the bottom of what makes some events work, others not work and why some want things done some ways or another.

Just seems when things get personal nothing is solved and board warrioring ensues. The more I read the more I feel like a Dad watching over my kids.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was thoroughly impressed with the MC. Yeah, I wasn't present in the main MC thread. I thought of jumping in and I did once. My lack of posts there wasn't because I didn't support the MC. The thread seemed inclusive to those that were participating with some folks along for the competitive ride. I don't hold up in those types of threads, just my personality.

Don't have much of substance to add to the thread right now. I posted once in this thread a long time ago. Pretty much hold to that.

I'm gonna ask it even though I don't want to. Was anyone else turned off by all the angry trash talk? I personally did not like the tone sometimes.

I wasn't. I didn't think that it ever got too seriously angry. It just seemed like good trash talk, which is vital for a healthy soul. :)

No. It got heated sometimes, but I didn't have a problem with it.

I think that is a fair question and one that should be explored. Early I tried to talk more about golf, my preparation with the clubs when we got them, etc. As time went on it seemed that wasn't wanted. I felt it was being indicated I didn't "get" it.

Kevin

I think maybe announcing the two teams closer to the event would help keep interest at a peak. Maybe a month or two at the max to announce the team members. I think the length of time may get some people bored reading a lot of smack & trash talk.

I do think that the participants themselves could have done more to promote the event in advance, but I don't know if it would have made a difference. There were videos when equipment came and there were posts about it, but from many people, that was about it. Stop in and give a couple retorts, an LOL, and we'll see you tomorrow if we're lucky. Add to that some quick tempers, whining, and surliness and it got weird at times.

I'm sure there are people that thought I talked too much trash or whatever. I don't agree and I explained why a couple of times. If people didn't care who won, they didn't care at all. Hell, we made a 50 page thread with wagers on the thing. I thought that was awesome. The trash talk created things like the Captain Intensity, Graybush, THP Cribs, videos etc. It sure as hell beat watching people hit shots out of the sand and giving reports on their scores imo.

I think it has to be about the competition and the companies. The one thing I really remember about the video coverage was Jake's emotion in sinking that putt. That drew me in and made me excited to watch.

QFT!

Spot on Hawk. Either jump in or sit back and complain about being left out. That's what I don't understand.

Ok here's the situation... there are folks in here that I think feel like they're overstepping their bounds by just jumping into a conversation (like butting in) and there are some folks that do post but don't get responded to one way or the other. I'm sure you can see that part of the coin. It's human nature and not everyone is programmed like TC.

I'll be honest and say that there were times that my posts were put up and no response was given. Now being a THP vet I just chugged on and let it be. I felt that I was responded to more when I went all Benedict Arnold on the OG's which stirred the pot a bit. I can see where both sides are coming from and sometimes either side doesn't want to see what the others say because we're human and we want our opinions to be the "right" one where in reality "right" is probably somewhere in between.

Of course there are going to be some changes to v2.0 because that's what successful companies/events do is change for the better. The only thing is we have to do is keep an open mind to what those changes are. I'm sure the changes are what's best and going forward I'm sure there will be folks who will not like the changes. It's a fact of life and the reality is some folks will see things that way no matter what is said.

Well my .2 cents is like this. I found this forum looking for reviews for Taylormade Burner irons over 2 years ago. In that time this place has quadrupled in size and for the most part I know most active forum member without ever having met them. I don't post much unless I feel I have something to say and I have reviewed every piece of equipment I have bought with my own money and the few things I have been honored to test. Sometimes people respond sometimes they don't and occassionally I'll get a pm 6 months later from someone asking how I still like the club etc that I reviewed. We live in a I want it now society and people think their perception is reality. If people perceive that the MC cup was more or less a cliq of people that were involved with it and the only people interested in it were either the people playing or their forums friends, that might lead them to avoid the hype leading up to it. I think it was a neat event that I personally would have loved to be involved in if financially and family obligations didn't interfere. I did not follow the MC cup thread because the smack talk and stuff like that didn't interest me. I would have been more interested in the equipment and the impressions of the people involved.

I did watch some of the interviews and promo's but to be honest they just sounded like the people were reading it off a advertisement. I would have liked to have seen more hands on results such as launch monitor numbers, gir's, putts per round. Analytical stuff that showed me why the people involved liked their set up. At times I felt like I was watching a WWE match with people taunting and carrying on. That is not a knock on the event but it was the perception I had of things. I know most of that was because most of the people involved were all friends and that takes things to a more personal level but if someone was wandering on this site for the first time they wouldn't understand that and probably wouldn't want to be involved very much. Kind of like being the new guy at school syndrome. I think in the future if people supporting the event were somehow involved with the event in the way the participants were it would have been more interesting for spectators. Doing things like having a closet to the pin contest having forum participants guess who and the distance to pin for a chance to win the ball that person was playing. Just things to get people involved and follow the event more so than the smack talk and things that lead to people feeling ignored or getting their feelings hurt.

The one thing about the internet is you can't convey tone in what you type and I learned by posting in the college football thread that people can't identify humor with sadistic mass murder characteristics. I think for the most part the MC was a success that THP was looking for but I think future ones should do more to get people involved through a vested interest and less about the theatrics. I don't see Tiger Woods telling Phil your momma jokes leading into tournaments if you know where I'm coming from.

I think that is a fair question and one that should be explored. Early I tried to talk more about golf, my preparation with the clubs when we got them, etc. As time went on it seemed that wasn't wanted. I felt it was being indicated I didn't "get" it.

Kevin

Poor Esox. You had a hard time trash talking. I could definitely tell you were uncomfortable with it. Some of it was a lot of fun but to me some of it went too far.

Spot on KB and same Sean.. It just wasn't for me plus I hadn't been around long enough to get to know some of these people. I think it would be different now..look at the outing thread. I love reading that thread..always a good read even if it is about OG hahaha
Some threads get like that. :)

Kevin

That is not the case at all. There were separate threads on EVERY piece of equipment that was received for this very reason. You know what though, you keep saying over and over again "apparently I didnt get it" and I want to address it. What didnt you get? That it wasnt about the competition? That it was off topic every single day even by you? That we got daily updates on your golf schedule with your daughter? Or eveyrbody's score for that day? Or what they were eating for dinner? NOBODY tried to ever keep it on topic and based on everybody that was involved, that was inevitable. But I do find it near comical that a guy that is rarely on topic or serious got charged up over that.

I can read between the lines with the best of them and yes I dont think everybody saw that event for what it was supposed to be. I have also said numerous times that that was OUR fault and nobody elses.

Since this is a thread about the Morgan Cup, I'm going to do some colonel'ing...

WOW this thread is blown up. In all honesty, I have full faith in JB, GG, and potential helpers or old MC members such as TC, CB, Biggs, and a few others in making the right selections for the next Morgan Cup. I have skimmed the last few pages because after reading a few post I had some thoughts I wanted to get down on paper. I read that someone said that if it was invite only too many people would of been upset about that based on how some people complain about the testing. No offense, but I say suck it up. JB, GG, and the people i posted above would choose some of the best posters on this site and they would do an amazing job. Sure you would be down if you didn't get picked but you should realize how good the people that got chosen are for the site and see the quality they post with etc. I'm good with anyway you guys decide to do it.

One thing I would like to add is the cost of it. I'm not sure if many really took into account how much it cost some of these guys for this great event. Yea it only states $399 for all that wonderful stuff but you have airfare, hotel/villas cost, food, rental car maybe, plus other purchases. I'm sure it wasn't cheap and as of right now I could afford it but it wouldn't be in my best interest as it would drain my account quite a lot. Keep in mind all this great stuff isn't cheap and as JB said before in a testing thread for Scorfit the MC guys paid their dues.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I actually agree with UNCFan on 2 points here. :wink: First of all, whatever method JB and GG come up with to pick participants for any future Morgan Cup events, I'll support them. There is absolutely no way that they can make everyone happy with one selection method, but I know that everything they do is to make THP as good as possible, so I know that they'll have a reason for how they set it up.

Also, it was a significant commitment for all of the guys that were in the Morgan Cup, not only from a monetary standpoint (well above the $399 entry fee) but also from a time and effort standpoint.

that day was hot as hell, but I would it again in a heartbeat. I do think it sucks that people don't comment on them. Esp because the more comments and support that is show on the forum and homepage for those things, the more likelihood that MC 2.0 is going to happen.

I'd also do it again in a heartbeat, it was so much fun! I also agree with ddec, it is unfortunate that some people didn't watch the videos or comment on them, because one of the main things that will help future Morgan Cups happen is if THP grew as a result of the first event, and if the companies involved got some positive publicity out of the event. Watching the videos and commenting on them would result in both of those things happening!

I think the reason I was so excited about it was because I knew so many of the participants. If I hadn't known anyone, I don't know......

This is an interesting point. Going into the MC, I didn't know anyone except for ddec, who I met a month before the event. With that said, I found it a little hard at first to engage in the banter with some of the other guys that knew one another. I just might be alone in that, but that's how I felt. Now that I know all of the guys, it's much easier for me to talk with them on here and others as well. Expanding on that, I think that it would have been hard for some people to feel like they could have contributed to the MC thread if they didn't know the participants from an Outing or otherwise. In terms of knowing the participants, perhaps the 16 of us could have done a better job of making our personalities known, maybe that would have helped participation in the MC thread prior to the event. Of course, there were some people (mcook jumps to mind first) that just got straight into the thread and had fun with it, so maybe I'm a bit off-base here.

I'm rambling at this point, but I'll say this: I hope that the guys that were in the inaugural Morgan Cup made it clear that this event was not about the equipment or anything else that we were provided with. This event was about the amazing idea that the owners of this site had to make amateurs feel like tour pros for a small amount of time, and that led to a wonderful weekend that showed how dynamic this site is, and also how great the companies behind the event were to support all of us. If you are able to see the bigger picture about what an event means to this site, then you are a great candidate for any future Morgan Cups. If you are just looking at this as an opportunity to replace your entire bag with new gear or to get on camera for a few minutes to talk about golf gear, then you need to figure out if you really understand what the first event was all about.

Thats not fair Duey. Everybody has strong opinions about this. Myself and GG are the only ones that want answers and we want them from both sides, but we can also not expect everybody to agree. There are some MCers that felt for 6 months exactly what a few testers have been discussing recently (about attention).

Its hard spending 8 hours in the sun cutting promos to see nobody watch them, just as its tough to test clubs and have nobody comment on them.

I apologize if my stance came across too strong. I k.ow just how hard this had to of been to pull off, not to mention all the work all the players put in. I said what I thought and felt like it was attacked rather than heard for what it was.

I have no idea how better to involve everyone else, but I did notice more involvement once we all started chasing teams to support.

Tap,Tap,Tap

At times yes I was as well.

Tapping my way down the highway

Honestly, for me, yes. Which is strange because I'm a trash talker by nature but I just couldn't jump in to the talk, and thats solely on me, instead I sat back and read it all.

Well my .2 cents is like this. I found this forum looking for reviews for Taylormade Burner irons over 2 years ago. In that time this place has quadrupled in size and for the most part I know most active forum member without ever having met them. I don't post much unless I feel I have something to say and I have reviewed every piece of equipment I have bought with my own money and the few things I have been honored to test. Sometimes people respond sometimes they don't and occassionally I'll get a pm 6 months later from someone asking how I still like the club etc that I reviewed. We live in a I want it now society and people think their perception is reality. If people perceive that the MC cup was more or less a cliq of people that were involved with it and the only people interested in it were either the people playing or their forums friends, that might lead them to avoid the hype leading up to it. I think it was a neat event that I personally would have loved to be involved in if financially and family obligations didn't interfere. I did not follow the MC cup thread because the smack talk and stuff like that didn't interest me. I would have been more interested in the equipment and the impressions of the people involved.

I did watch some of the interviews and promo's but to be honest they just sounded like the people were reading it off a advertisement. I would have liked to have seen more hands on results such as launch monitor numbers, gir's, putts per round. Analytical stuff that showed me why the people involved liked their set up. At times I felt like I was watching a WWE match with people taunting and carrying on. That is not a knock on the event but it was the perception I had of things. I know most of that was because most of the people involved were all friends and that takes things to a more personal level but if someone was wandering on this site for the first time they wouldn't understand that and probably wouldn't want to be involved very much. Kind of like being the new guy at school syndrome. I think in the future if people supporting the event were somehow involved with the event in the way the participants were it would have been more interesting for spectators. Doing things like having a closet to the pin contest having forum participants guess who and the distance to pin for a chance to win the ball that person was playing. Just things to get people involved and follow the event more so than the smack talk and things that lead to people feeling ignored or getting their feelings hurt.

The one thing about the internet is you can't convey tone in what you type and I learned by posting in the college football thread that people can't identify humor with sadistic mass murder characteristics. I think for the most part the MC was a success that THP was looking for but I think future ones should do more to get people involved through a vested interest and less about the theatrics. I don't see Tiger Woods telling Phil your momma jokes leading into tournaments if you know where I'm coming from.

I will only say that there were at least seven or eight threads on the equipment that these guys were playing. Were you reading or posting in there? That's not a smart-a$$ question, btw. Just curious.

I think maybe announcing the two teams closer to the event would help keep interest at a peak. Maybe a month or two at the max to announce the team members. I think the length of time may get some people bored reading a lot of smack & trash talk.

Sorry Gray, but there is far more to this event than two teams facing off. And those behind the event are CERTAINLY going to want more than a month or two of banter and talk to get a ROI.

I will only say that there were at least seven or eight threads on the equipment that these guys were playing. Were you reading or posting in there? That's not a smart-a$$ question, btw. Just curious.

^^^^^
THIS!!!

This is the part that I find so ironic. So many are discussing how they stayed out of the MC thread because of the trash talk, yet there were 10-15 other threads that offered virtually none of that and was just about equipment and there was no posting in there either. Trash Talk = Scape Goat based on analytics in my opinion.

Wow this thread has blown up. I have a few points to add after reading all of it.

1. A lot of people were disapointed they didn't make it and its perfectly understandable. It was an amazing, one of a kind event. I was disappointed I didn't make it as well. You know what though, those 16 people deserved their spot and everyone had the chance. In life there are winners and losers. Just be happy someone had the chance to live that experience and share it with them. I've never met TC or Biggsy or CB, but it feels like I could call them up and go out for a beer and say what you want they make THP a better place and they were first class ambassadors.

2. All this talk about it being about the equipment. If anyone says it wasn't about that at all. They're lying IMO. To have the chance to game equipment fit to you and having reps making you feel like a tour pro. All of us here love golf equipment, look at all the posts when new stuff comes out. We're like kids in a toy store at Christmas. The big part of the MC was Tour pro treatment. Gear, scripting and promos. That's awesome. Most of us play skins or league and Ryder Cup style events. Competition was not what it was all about. The friendships that were developped were just a huge added bonus.

3. For all the videos and all the banter that was missed. The sheer number was staggering. I don't have a lot of time to myself between work, sports and other commitments, but when I do I spend a lot of time here and I just don't have time to catch up on all and if I do spend time catching up, I don't have time to post on everything. I do agree with some posters that a lot of the banter, it was very easy to feel outside the loop, forcing my way into trashtalk where I have no hand in the outcome just doesn't feel right. Doesn't mean I/others weren't following up. Don't want to point a finger at anyone, but during the build up, some MC'ers didn't post almost anything other than MC related threads. It was that time consuming.

4. Outings and MC. I can't justify going to Orlando for a demo day and golfing with cool people in terms of cost in my disposable income and vacation time. It just won't fly at home. If I lived closer, I'd go in a heartbeat. A MC is a chance of a lifetime, see my thoughts in point 2. I can justify that, I was a good athlete growing up and some of my friends went on to play pro and I missed out on that. If I can live it just for one weekend and the months leading up to it, I can't put a price on that.

That's my .02.

Wow this thread has blown up. I have a few points to add after reading all of it.

1. A lot of people were disapointed they didn't make it and its perfectly understandable. It was an amazing, one of a kind event. I was disappointed I didn't make it as well. You know what though, those 16 people deserved their spot and everyone had the chance. In life there are winners and losers. Just be happy someone had the chance to live that experience and share it with them. I've never met TC or Biggsy or CB, but it feels like I could call them up and go out for a beer and say what you want they make THP a better place and they were first class ambassadors.

2. All this talk about it being about the equipment. If anyone says it wasn't about that at all. They're lying IMO. To have the chance to game equipment fit to you and having reps making you feel like a tour pro. All of us here love golf equipment, look at all the posts when new stuff comes out. We're like kids in a toy store at Christmas. The big part of the MC was Tour pro treatment. Gear, scripting and promos. That's awesome. Most of us play skins or league and Ryder Cup style events. Competition was not what it was all about. The friendships that were developped were just a huge added bonus.

3. For all the videos and all the banter that was missed. The sheer number was staggering. I don't have a lot of time to myself between work, sports and other commitments, but when I do I spend a lot of time here and I just don't have time to catch up on all and if I do spend time catching up, I don't have time to post on everything. I do agree with some posters that a lot of the banter, it was very easy to feel outside the loop, forcing my way into trashtalk where I have no hand in the outcome just doesn't feel right. Doesn't mean I/others weren't following up. Don't want to point a finger at anyone, but during the build up, some MC'ers didn't post almost anything other than MC related threads. It was that time consuming.

4. Outings and MC. I can't justify going to Orlando for a demo day and golfing with cool people in terms of cost in my disposable income and vacation time. It just won't fly at home. If I lived closer, I'd go in a heartbeat. A MC is a chance of a lifetime, see my thoughts in point 2. I can justify that, I was a good athlete growing up and some of my friends went on to play pro and I missed out on that. If I can live it just for one weekend and the months leading up to it, I can't put a price on that.

That's my .02.

Thank you so much for this post and your complete honesty.

I took the trash talk the wrong way a few times early on, but got better about it as the event approached. Like others have mentioned, you can't tell tone over the Internet, and that was an issue sometimes. I really thought that TC was going to bite my head off during our match on Saturday afternoon as much as he trash-talked me. :alien: In reality, the guy couldn't have been nicer to play a round of golf with.

Yes I read those threads Hawk I'm referring to the MC thread and the impression it gave. I read most of the reviews on the site because honestly the equipment impressions is what I find most interesting. If someone new is coming to the site they may overlook those reviews as just another posting them instead of the MC participant and once again I never felt like the vested interest was to the community like it could have been. Those involved were no doubt involved in something that was a once in a lifetime experience. I'm really happy they all had a chance to play like a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back