The Prequel to Jank+Nate-Fest - Join Junkyard for a Round!

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I figured I'd throw up a separate thread to avoid confusion with the main thread for this gathering. I know that myself and @Browndog are arriving early and I am currently working on securing us times for a Thursday round together. I've seen posts about others possibly arriving early, so I figured if I shared what I was planning on doing then others (locals included) could join in if they wish. Because, golf is better with THPers!

My flight arrives into PHX around 9:30 Wednesday morning, and I have a round booked at Southern Dunes for 12:30. My plan is to get a rental car until Friday when everything shifts to WeKoPa.

I haven't finalized it, but Browndog and I are going to play 18 together Thursday morning at either Troon or Grayhawk (I just can't decide, may have to flip a coin) and I will most likely play another 18 at the second course in the afternoon while he visits family.

I was thinking maybe Verrado Victory mid-morning for a Friday round; I'm not sure if Jordy is going to be joining me or spending time with family. Either way, I'm open to suggestions or company for golf, just drinks, or both.

It's starting to get real - I can't wait for April!

What, you're not Driving this time @Junkyard

I don't think I'll be getting in until early afternoon Friday unfortunately.
Oh No Sigh GIF by Milwaukee Bucks

I don't think I'll be getting in until early afternoon Friday unfortunately.
Oh No Sigh GIF by Milwaukee Bucks
That's alright - I'm sure we'll have a pretty substantial welcome party at WeKoPa

AZ THPers I'm looking for your opinion: I'm torn between Troon North and Grayhawk for our round on Thursday. They're both similarly priced, and based on what I've been able to dig up I'm leaning slightly toward Grayhawk.

Give me your pros and cons for each, and which of the two 18s you would choose if you were only going to play one. Keep me in mind I've only ever played desert golf once before, so I'm looking for the experience. Go!

AZ THPers I'm looking for your opinion: I'm torn between Troon North and Grayhawk for our round on Thursday. They're both similarly priced, and based on what I've been able to dig up I'm leaning slightly toward Grayhawk.

Give me your pros and cons for each, and which of the two 18s you would choose if you were only going to play one. Keep me in mind I've only ever played desert golf once before, so I'm looking for the experience. Go!
I like Troon North myself better. Definitely a desert experience with great views. I like Grayhawk just not as memorable, priced high due to its location.

I will tell you that Verrado is just about as far as you can get from Wekopa on Friday. :ROFLMAO:

I will tell you that Verrado is just about as far as you can get from Wekopa on Friday. :ROFLMAO:
Good way to see the whole valley! :LOL:

The Texas guys (5 total) are in for a Friday round. The guys coming in from Houston are landing at 9:40am.

I figured I'd throw up a separate thread to avoid confusion with the main thread for this gathering. I know that myself and @Browndog are arriving early and I am currently working on securing us times for a Thursday round together. I've seen posts about others possibly arriving early, so I figured if I shared what I was planning on doing then others (locals included) could join in if they wish. Because, golf is better with THPers!

My flight arrives into PHX around 9:30 Wednesday morning, and I have a round booked at Southern Dunes for 12:30. My plan is to get a rental car until Friday when everything shifts to WeKoPa.

I haven't finalized it, but Browndog and I are going to play 18 together Thursday morning at either Troon or Grayhawk (I just can't decide, may have to flip a coin) and I will most likely play another 18 at the second course in the afternoon while he visits family.

I was thinking maybe Verrado Victory mid-morning for a Friday round; I'm not sure if Jordy is going to be joining me or spending time with family. Either way, I'm open to suggestions or company for golf, just drinks, or both.

It's starting to get real - I can't wait for April!
If you are playing Southern Dunes on Wed I may be able to get some food with you after the round depending on where you are going to lay your head that night.

I am not in a position to play 36 at Troon North or Grayhawk on Thursday as I would have to move around too much money. :ROFLMAO: I may play an afternoon round depending on interest but we can get to that as it gets closer. I would rank them TN Pinnacle -> GH Raptor -> TN Monument -> GH Talon. They are not far off from each other. I will also say that tee box choices at Troon North are better than Grayhawk. Meaning you could 1, 2, or 3 up and the hole adapts to it instead of just taking yardage off.

Friday I will do what the masses do. I imagine it will be closer to Wekopa so like McDowell Mtn, Eagle Mtn, Sunridge ( :sick: ), Talking Stick, Camelback, etc.

If Friday's round is closer to Wekopa than California :)ROFLMAO:), I might be able to join the group. I planned on driving up early from Tucson. Longbow GC isn't too far from Wekopa.

I'm in for a Friday round.

I get unlimited mileage on the rental? Plus I'm used to driving to these types of things.....

Looks like I'll be cancelling since so many others are going to be around for Friday anyway

I like Troon North myself better. Definitely a desert experience with great views. I like Grayhawk just not as memorable, priced high due to its location.
Thanks - they're pretty much the same dollar for dollar. I hate having to make these types of decisions - initially I was all over Troon and then for some reason my mind shifted to Grayhawk. Truth be told one wouldn't be disappointed with either, but you have to choose one over the other.

For Friday:
Camelback looks like Padre course, $206 until 1:10 then Ambiente opens up at $211
Talking Stick looks like O'odahm course $254 until 3:27 when they both open up and drop to $100
McDowell Mtn $229 until 3:12 then $129
Eagle Mountain times after 2:10 for $216

Good way to see the whole valley! :LOL:
I have to drop the rental off at the airport anyway? That's on the way to WeKoPa! 🤷‍♂️

Remember guys, I drove six hours just to play one round of golf :rolleyes:

I have to drop the rental off at the airport anyway? That's on the way to WeKoPa! 🤷‍♂️

Remember guys, I drove six hours just to play one round of golf :rolleyes:
Not saying it is a bad thing but PHX traffic on a Friday where you have to go to the airport then get out to Wekopa is not something I would wish on anyone. It says an hour without traffic.

1708990358088.png

Not saying it is a bad thing but PHX traffic on a Friday where you have to go to the airport then get out to Wekopa is not something I would wish on anyone. It says an hour without traffic.

View attachment 9245142
Noted. I'm down for whatever the group decides to do.

Back