The Pro Shop - what is yours like?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
On holiday last week, I ended up at the proshop at a small town golf course. 8600 people live in this town, my hometown is around ~50k people.

The pro shop? Fully stocked with current run Titleist gear, Foot Joy shoes, apparel, balls, accessories. I was awestruck. Envious.
The entire facility? Top notch. Gorgeous course. Very scenic. Big restaurant and bar as well.

My hometown courses? Of the five courses we have, three have nothing in the pro shop aside from off brand balls and tees. One has a bit of house branded clothing, with the balls and tees. The final little par 3 course has a decent pro shop with gear, but no other facilities.
We have one course with a restaurant out of the 5.

We rarely buy gear at the course here. Selection is nil. Nevada Bob's/Sport Chek is the only option for equipment, unless you want a 2 hour drive to a different brick and mortar.

I just really found it strange that the tiny city course has such a great facility, and a great selection...... and the bigger city courses have nothing.

What is it like at your course? Is the pro shop meeting your needs? Are they a viable option for your golf purchases?

On holiday last week, I ended up at the proshop at a small town golf course. 8600 people live in this town, my hometown is around ~50k people.

The pro shop? Fully stocked with current run Titleist gear, Foot Joy shoes, apparel, balls, accessories. I was awestruck. Envious.
The entire facility? Top notch. Gorgeous course. Very scenic. Big restaurant and bar as well.

My hometown courses? Of the five courses we have, three have nothing in the pro shop aside from off brand balls and tees. One has a bit of house branded clothing, with the balls and tees. The final little par 3 course has a decent pro shop with gear, but no other facilities.

We rarely buy gear at the course here. Selection is nil. Nevada Bob's/Sport Chek is the only option for equipment, unless you want a 2 hour drive to a different brick and mortar.

I just really found it strange that the tiny city course has such a great facility, and a great selection...... and the bigger city courses have nothing.

What is it like at your course? Is the pro shop meeting your needs? Are they a viable option for your golf purchases?

The pro shops around here have everything in every golf course, and I think we have around 60 courses in the area - private/public. We also have a PGA superstore, so that expands our options along with a lot of fittings and reps on weekends that stop in :)

We don't have a Pro Shop. BUT, we do have AREA 51, where we collect, refurbish/repurpose, and provide golf clubs to Veterans, Active Duty, and their families... with special emphasis on Wounded veterans, of ALL wars, and those who are blind and or suffer from PTSD. We have shoes, golf bag, clothing,golf balls, tees... everything a Pro Shop would have, and more. We build new clubs, repair broken clubs, use data from our PGA Pros to fit clubs, change grips, change shafts and provide Out of This World Golf Service to our Veterans. Our staff is all volunteer and most of what we have to work with is donated. Area 51. Because Golf is a Universal Game and a Universal Language. On the campus of Puget Sound VA Hospital and Fort Lewis / McChord Field.

66861048_10156746677688401_2795021805494992896_n.jpg

Not much to our Pro shop. Titleist and Bridgestone balls, a few shirts and hats. That is all we have for our little 9 hole muni.

Nothing in the way of clubs but does have a decent selection of balls, gloves, shoes, bags & headcovers (mostly southern college themed), some course logo hats and a few different swing and putter grips.

They run the gamut here. From fully stocked to almost nothing in the pro shop.

My home course has a good selection of kids sets, usually a push cart or two, a very solid selection of clothing, callaway and Titleist drivers, and a decent selection of putters and wedges in stock. Just about all the major ball lines from Precepts to Titleist ProVs.

basic assortment of gloves, some prov1 and zstar balls, a few styles of shoes and other apparel, a couple stand bags

Apparel, balls, gloves. Nothing in the sorts of clubs although they do have quite a few demo days where club vendors come in. We can order pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Course I worked at had everything. Top 5-6 club brands in stock, wide variety of clothing from entry level to high-end brands, and 3 ball companies.

The course I play regularly now is quite different as it's in a vacation town. Fairly small, but super clean, and an ok ball selection, not much else though. Given how short their main season is though, very understandable that they don't carry a lot of stock.

Mine is really well stocked with Callaway, Taylormade, Titliest, and Ping. Clothing selection is also good with lots of Ping, Nike, Adidas, and Travis Matthew apparel. They also have a decent selection of Oakley and Maui Jim sunglasses which are both discounted about 40%. Members are charged about $180 at the beginning of the year and the club discounts everything including clubs, rangefinders, clothing to something like 17-18% over cost. Discount from MAP pricing on new drivers/clubs is about 15% but on clothing and sunglasses it’s more. When I ordered my 8 iron set of Srixon irons they were only $865 through the club compared to $1,100 at all the other retailers in town. I’ve purchased 4 pairs of Oakley’s this year for me and my son and they ranged from $86 to $117, a hefty discount. I also buy a lot of golf hats at my club, the most expensive Travis Matthew hats are $24.

Mine is really well stocked with Callaway, Taylormade, Titliest, and Ping. Clothing selection is also good with lots of Ping, Nike, Adidas, and Travis Matthew apparel. They also have a decent selection of Oakley and Maui Jim sunglasses which are both discounted about 40%. Members are charged about $180 at the beginning of the year and the club discounts everything including clubs, rangefinders, clothing to something like 17-18% over cost. Discount from MAP pricing on new drivers/clubs is about 15% but on clothing and sunglasses it’s more. When I ordered my 8 iron set of Srixon irons they were only $865 through the club compared to $1,100 at all the other retailers in town. I’ve purchased 4 pairs of Oakley’s this year for me and my son and they ranged from $86 to $117, a hefty discount. I also buy a lot of golf hats at my club, the most expensive Travis Matthew hats are $24.

Do you mind me asking how many members you have? That's a pretty cool program.

My club's pro shop is a bit of a mixed bag in my opinion. It has all the newest clubs from Callaway, PING, and Titleist along with balls, bags, and shoes. It the shirts that drives me crazy.

Only stock Travis Matthew, FJ, Johnnie-O, and Dunning Golf shirts. I'm not picky about brands, but none of those fit me. Would much rather have Peter Millar, Under Armour, adidas, Nike, Greg Norman, Cutter & Buck, etc...

I think it all depends on who owns the merchandise in the Pro Shop. For example, there is a club in my town that has nothing but a few balls in the pro shop. There pro does not have a stake in the merchandise. They club across town has a pro who owns all the merchandise, and range balls. He has everything you can imagine in the pro shop. He also has plenty of good condition range balls. You would be surprised how some of the head pro contracts work out there.

Some have a lot of swag, some a little. I usually am not that into the gear, I just go in, pay, and leave.

Ours has a few gloves and some balls but it's pretty much non-existent. That said they're working on getting a new clubhouse built - so I'm sure a better pro-shop is part of that.

Basic to mid range for my home course. It is a private, but only about 450 members, so not a big clientele.

Plenty of balls, shirts, shorts, pants and new gen drivers. Couple iron sets.

Our pro shop is mostly clothing and accessories along with some clubs. Mostly Scotty Cameron putters and Titleist and TaylorMade clubs. I think the only balls might be Titleist.

Ours is very small. It has Titleist balls, caps and bags, Footjoy clothing, shoes and gloves, a few UA and Cutter and Buck shirts, a few Nike items (Ole Miss athletics are Nike equipped so I'm surprised we don't have more) and a few other things like headcovers, towels, etc, from other companies. There aren't 10 clubs in the place. The clubs are leftovers that didn't sell when the shop had a small wedge and putter selection.

Formerly we had the latest in FJ apparel, Titliest gear , RLX gear and such. Now they’re overrun with Greg Norman & Chase 54 old stock & more Pinnacles than I knew were ever made.

Shop is well stocked with Titleist/Taylormade clubs, Clothing from Adidas/Footjoy/Vineyard Vines and Travis Matthew. Pretty much everything/anything needed.

Do you mind me asking how many members you have? That's a pretty cool program.

350 members. I wind up buying a lot of clothes and equipment from the course because it’s like having it always on sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back