The Quick Six: Catching Up with Bridgestone Golf:

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The TOUR B line of balls has been incredibly popular on the THP Forum since its release about 18 months ago and this year the e12 CONTACT has continued to gain steam. In the bizarre golf industry landscape we are currently involved in, and the game is growing, we wanted to catch up with Bridgestone to discuss their latest, the future and more.

THP: How has the year been for Bridgestone Golf and the overall golf ball market?

Elliot Mellow: According to the NGF and other sources, participation in golf in terms of rounds played was up approximately 13% in 2020 and our business was up around 18%, so we outpaced the industry, so to speak. In fact, demand has been so extreme that at times we have...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Always enjoy reading anything relating to Bridgestone Golf and this was certainly no different. Great questions and well thought out, thorough answers.

Good stuff. Always enjoy hearing from Bridgestone, and the Bryson and Tiger involvement, that then trickles down to the consumer is fun to read.

Bridgestone puts a lot of effort into their golf balls and it shows, but I remain baffled by their absence in the club segment. I get that they want to do it right, but they are missing a fantastic opportunity to get established with lots of new golfers in very hot market. Thanks for at least asking the question.

Interesting that Tiger had them add more additives instead of less.
Hope the new TourB line of clubs make to the States.
They have great "Shelf Appeal" and have the performance characteristics that the novice golfer craves.

I always love seeing Bridgestone involved on THP. I really wish they would bring out Ann updated version of the J irons. I still consider trying to find a set of J15 or J40's.

Great questions, interesting answers. From my experience, the e12 Contact is the real deal for a mid-high capper like me.

Nice read.. I love this line..

" In regard to the future of Bridgestone clubs I can’t share anything at the moment other than we recently hired a new marketing manager for clubs and accessories. "

Interesting.. They are getting close to a update to the tour line as well.

• Admin
Nice read.. I love this line..

" In regard to the future of Bridgestone clubs I can’t share anything at the moment other than we recently hired a new marketing manager for clubs and accessories. "

Interesting.. They are getting close to a update to the tour line as well.

One thing to note on that is that they had one there previously (and recently) by the name of Zack. He is no longer with them so his position was replaced. While clubs have not come over, the accessories (which is under the same umbrella) have not stopped.

One thing to note on that is that they had one there previously (and recently) by the name of Zack. He is no longer with them so his position was replaced. While clubs have not come over, the accessories (which is under the same umbrella) have not stopped.

Gotcha. They have just fallen completely off the map (at least in the US) in the club realm. So it looked like they may be re-upping their efforts there.

I need forged Bridgestone wedges!

Good stuff with Elliot as always!!

I volunteered for the KPMG Women's PGA over the weekend and during one of my shifts I was measuring for the longest drive on #5. We can all guess what the #1 ball in play was, but based on my time measuring Bridgeston was by far the 2nd most played ball. I was actually really surprised and pleased by the number of Bridgestone balls I saw in play. I hope that this trend continues as I am huge fan of all things Bridgestone!

good little read. Bridgestone makes some great golf balls. Interested to see their next line of Tour B balls.

I love their v-fit tool. I got fit to the BX and it worked great for me. I’ve also tried and enjoyed the BXS. I feel a little bit of artificial confidence knowing I’m playing Tigers ball.

It’s really cool to see how much input Tiger and Bryson have on the R&D but also awesome to see how data driven they are. I love that they take all of the amateur fitting data they get into consideration.

Nice question and answer. I am a huge fan of the Tour B RXS golf ball this year.

I am a bit surprised that Bridgestone doesn't feel the alignment aids are really a benefit and sorta shrugged them off. Man, a Tour B RXS with a good ball alignment aid for putting would be my dream golf ball.

Always enjoy these. Some interesting things in there from Elliot.

Also, I still say they should just re-release the J40 irons :p

Surprised to read Bridgestone isn't jumping on the alignment train. It makes sense to focus on the performance first (feels like a very PC answer if you ask me) but I think the days of marking your own line on the ball will be going by the wayside in a few years.

Always enjoy these. Some interesting things in there from Elliot.

Also, I still say they should just re-release the J40 irons :p
As long as they include the black wedges.

I'd buy back ups to have later, like I should have done years ago.

Surprised to read Bridgestone isn't jumping on the alignment train. It makes sense to focus on the performance first (feels like a very PC answer if you ask me) but I think the days of marking your own line on the ball will be going by the wayside in a few years.
That was my favorite part of the whole exchange. Loved what sounded like a hard pass on putting something on the ball just because others are. Made me wish I played them.

Surprised at their answer as well. The triple track has some actual purpose and not just cosmetic.

That was my favorite part of the whole exchange. Loved what sounded like a hard pass on putting something on the ball just because others are. Made me wish I played them.
Callaway has an option to have the TT or just the plain white ball. Why not take advantage of something that seems to be popular right now or at least offer it 🤷‍♂️ from a business standpoint anyway

Callaway has an option to have the TT or just the plain white ball. Why not take advantage of something that seems to be popular right now or at least offer it 🤷‍♂️ from a business standpoint anyway
Bridgestone does an alignment on their golf balls in Japan:
If you open the link in Google, it will convert to English.
Bridgestone did a ton of research on this Alignment.
Basically saying that you need lines both ways to be flush with the putter face and the path you want to putt in.

1625143558110.png

Last edited:
This is really a cool concept of a Distance Ball, "Flying Muscle"
Wonder if this will make the states.

Yeah but it's Callaway's thing. I would assume there are design/production costs to implement it too. Until they find it worthwhile I can see why they wouldn't.

Edit: looks like they've done it for the Japan market for now

It was an interesting take and I understand their thought process behind it. With that said, why offer colored ball options?
FWIW, I use to love the alignment on the old e Series, with the arrow. That was bold, but pretty darn well done.

Back