JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
A couple of months ago we reviewed a laser range finder called the Cobalt Golf Q6 and were so thoroughly impressed by the device. As time has gone on, our initial thoughts are even more firmly positive with high quality and accuracy. We wanted to learn a little more about the background of the brand, so sat down with them and asked them the pertinent questions for this episode of The Quick Six.

This is a really fascinating read about distance measuring devices in general.

Continue reading...

gkeller813

#UsDidIt
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
That was a very in depth and informative Quick Six. Crazy the tech story, and the projects they have been involved in before coming out with the Q6. As I continue to research different devices for a future purchase, I find this one very intriguing. From the tech, to the overall package Cobalt has produced, it seems like a very well thought out product.

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Very interesting.. thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about adding a laser range finder to my bag. This brand will have to be considered..

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
Nothing like having your mind blown first thing on a Monday morning. Really cool back story
It is a pretty fascinating history.

Golfers Anonymous

THP Shaft Up 2021 Las Vegas
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Great write up. Really am fascinated now by the brand since they have been in the golf rangefinder business a short period but have been innovating the technology for a while.

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just went to their website. They are pretty pricey. I am not saying overly so, just more than I expected.

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Their backstory is nothing short of remarkable.

The presence they have had is almost ghost-like in nature... On Tour in the 90s, chilling with NASA, and now a high end product that looks pretty damn competitive.

Doubleb21

AZTHP League Champ
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
That was a great quick 6! They say they are 50% more accurate in the first 300 yards. It makes you wonder just how far off other rangefinders are. The unit itself looks good and i really like the dial for the brightness adjustment.

RealPretendPsychic

2021 Grandaddy - Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Wow that’s a backstory! A lot of big claims in this quick six, I think I’ll have to check them out next time I’m in the market.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that’s a backstory! A lot of big claims in this quick six, I think I’ll have to check them out next time I’m in the market.
I have a feeling those that end up with one of these are going to be very surprised. As I mentioned in the original review, the dial alone, while looks weird, is extraordinary in dialing things in to your viewing.

RealPretendPsychic

2021 Grandaddy - Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a feeling those that end up with one of these are going to be very surprised. As I mentioned in the original review, the dial alone, while looks weird, is extraordinary in dialing things in to your viewing.
That sounds like the next direction for rangefinders. Some people only want point and shoot, but I have a feeling I would never look back once I had that extra functionality. And I don’t think the dial detracts from the looks of the unit at all. And it doesn’t appear to be awkwardly positioned or affect the feel of the unit either.

Z1319

always looking to improve
Reaction score
Handicap
recovering
I've never had a GPS or rangefinder

kind of prefer the Garmin G80 form factor but the Cobalt caught my eye when THP did the article

Chef23

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The tech and back story is interesting but I guess I don't see the need for a $400 range finder. I really just want distance to the flag. I have an old Garmin V2 that does everything I need. Maybe if I had one of the newer models I would feel differently but I am not ready to spend the money to find out.

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
They certainly have the pedigree when it comes to lasers. I enjoyed reading about the beginings and what products they have produced. Makes a lot of sense that they can produce a really accurate golf range finder. I would certainly consider one their units if and when I am in the market for a new rangefinder.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like the next direction for rangefinders. Some people only want point and shoot, but I have a feeling I would never look back once I had that extra functionality. And I don’t think the dial detracts from the looks of the unit at all. And it doesn’t appear to be awkwardly positioned or affect the feel of the unit either.
I think you are probably right. Quality still matters, but also being able to get to the quality without 4 menu screens, all from a single button has its merits.

KY Golfer

Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
@KB5904 had one in Branson. I only looked thru it a couple times but I really liked it. The optics were great and I liked the bright red lettering, it was very easy to read.

YukonLiving

Captain of Tundra
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
That is some impressive pedigree - I'm now thinking back to all the other measuring devices I've used... The Q-6 is a sharp looking device, but I've got a soft spot for blue gear.

After reading the article, I checked out their website and was blown away by this:
  • 600+ Yards (5-2500 yd total performance / 600+ yd to Pin / 2000 yd to Trees)
Great Quick Six! I'll be watching for Cobalt to see one in person. I'd like to try a rangefinder with slope.

billyh

I thought I changed this
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
Yes $400 is expensive for a range for a range finder. But when you look at what markets and who they have made stuff for, it shows. They could have saved money by using hard plastics over magnesium and aluminum, but the quality wouldn’t be there. The dial is a great idea that I have yet to see. I think the only thing that could have been skimped on was not using German or Japanese glass. I think for what they are, they’re priced absolutely right.

Sox_Fan

BHG Homer
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Varies
Laser Tech has a very impressive and powerful background! A lot of great and very interesting details in this Q & A. Excellent read.

time4tim

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think the price point is fine for this product. Leupold, Bushnell and Garmin have higher priced options that quite frankly look to be inferior to what Colbalt has "dialed" up. Very interested in this. Appreciate the great write-up and back story.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
great info about the company and their background ... my aging Leupold is begging to be replaced and this would get some consideratoin, especially since the warranty looks nice

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Just got to dig into this and it makes me want to give one a whirl even more. There’s just something about the company and their knowledge base that screams at me.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just got to dig into this and it makes me want to give one a whirl even more. There’s just something about the company and their knowledge base that screams at me.
pretty strong expertise / credibility vibe there, right?

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in