JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago we reviewed a laser range finder called the Cobalt Golf Q6 and were so thoroughly impressed by the device. As time has gone on, our initial thoughts are even more firmly positive with high quality and accuracy. We wanted to learn a little more about the background of the brand, so sat down with them and asked them the pertinent questions for this episode of The Quick Six.

This is a really fascinating read about distance measuring devices in general.

Continue reading...

That was a very in depth and informative Quick Six. Crazy the tech story, and the projects they have been involved in before coming out with the Q6. As I continue to research different devices for a future purchase, I find this one very intriguing. From the tech, to the overall package Cobalt has produced, it seems like a very well thought out product.

Nothing like having your mind blown first thing on a Monday morning. Really cool back story

Very interesting.. thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about adding a laser range finder to my bag. This brand will have to be considered..

• Admin
Nothing like having your mind blown first thing on a Monday morning. Really cool back story

It is a pretty fascinating history.

Great write up. Really am fascinated now by the brand since they have been in the golf rangefinder business a short period but have been innovating the technology for a while.

Just went to their website. They are pretty pricey. I am not saying overly so, just more than I expected.

Their backstory is nothing short of remarkable.

The presence they have had is almost ghost-like in nature... On Tour in the 90s, chilling with NASA, and now a high end product that looks pretty damn competitive.

That was a great quick 6! They say they are 50% more accurate in the first 300 yards. It makes you wonder just how far off other rangefinders are. The unit itself looks good and i really like the dial for the brightness adjustment.

Wow that’s a backstory! A lot of big claims in this quick six, I think I’ll have to check them out next time I’m in the market.

Wow that’s a backstory! A lot of big claims in this quick six, I think I’ll have to check them out next time I’m in the market.

I have a feeling those that end up with one of these are going to be very surprised. As I mentioned in the original review, the dial alone, while looks weird, is extraordinary in dialing things in to your viewing.

I have a feeling those that end up with one of these are going to be very surprised. As I mentioned in the original review, the dial alone, while looks weird, is extraordinary in dialing things in to your viewing.
That sounds like the next direction for rangefinders. Some people only want point and shoot, but I have a feeling I would never look back once I had that extra functionality. And I don’t think the dial detracts from the looks of the unit at all. And it doesn’t appear to be awkwardly positioned or affect the feel of the unit either.

I've never had a GPS or rangefinder

kind of prefer the Garmin G80 form factor but the Cobalt caught my eye when THP did the article

The tech and back story is interesting but I guess I don't see the need for a $400 range finder. I really just want distance to the flag. I have an old Garmin V2 that does everything I need. Maybe if I had one of the newer models I would feel differently but I am not ready to spend the money to find out.

They certainly have the pedigree when it comes to lasers. I enjoyed reading about the beginings and what products they have produced. Makes a lot of sense that they can produce a really accurate golf range finder. I would certainly consider one their units if and when I am in the market for a new rangefinder.

That sounds like the next direction for rangefinders. Some people only want point and shoot, but I have a feeling I would never look back once I had that extra functionality. And I don’t think the dial detracts from the looks of the unit at all. And it doesn’t appear to be awkwardly positioned or affect the feel of the unit either.
I think you are probably right. Quality still matters, but also being able to get to the quality without 4 menu screens, all from a single button has its merits.

@KB5904 had one in Branson. I only looked thru it a couple times but I really liked it. The optics were great and I liked the bright red lettering, it was very easy to read.

That is some impressive pedigree - I'm now thinking back to all the other measuring devices I've used... The Q-6 is a sharp looking device, but I've got a soft spot for blue gear.

After reading the article, I checked out their website and was blown away by this:
  • 600+ Yards (5-2500 yd total performance / 600+ yd to Pin / 2000 yd to Trees)
Great Quick Six! I'll be watching for Cobalt to see one in person. I'd like to try a rangefinder with slope.

Yes $400 is expensive for a range for a range finder. But when you look at what markets and who they have made stuff for, it shows. They could have saved money by using hard plastics over magnesium and aluminum, but the quality wouldn’t be there. The dial is a great idea that I have yet to see. I think the only thing that could have been skimped on was not using German or Japanese glass. I think for what they are, they’re priced absolutely right.

Laser Tech has a very impressive and powerful background! A lot of great and very interesting details in this Q & A. Excellent read.

I think the price point is fine for this product. Leupold, Bushnell and Garmin have higher priced options that quite frankly look to be inferior to what Colbalt has "dialed" up. Very interested in this. Appreciate the great write-up and back story.

great info about the company and their background ... my aging Leupold is begging to be replaced and this would get some consideratoin, especially since the warranty looks nice

Just got to dig into this and it makes me want to give one a whirl even more. There’s just something about the company and their knowledge base that screams at me.

Just got to dig into this and it makes me want to give one a whirl even more. There’s just something about the company and their knowledge base that screams at me.
pretty strong expertise / credibility vibe there, right?

Back