The Random Pairing. Avoid at all cost or Cool I get to meet someone new?

I used to play with strangers all the time. I much prefer playing with friends now.

I play as a single mostly so I get paired all the time. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually like meeting new people, in general. Meeting new golfers is a plus! Unfortunately, I always seem to get paired with the tourists, so I rarely get a chance to exchange numbers to set up future rounds.

I’ve gotten numbers three times. Yet to play with them a second time.

By the 4th hole there are no strangers.

I can tell you this. If you're at a THP event, it's: "Cool I get to meet someone new.

I can tell you this. If you're at a THP event, it's: "Cool I get to meet someone new.

Playing with THPers is playing with friends.

I don’t mind playing with others.

I'd say 90% of my rounds we're not a full four and have at least one person joining. I enjoy meeting and golfing new people. If they want to stick to themselves, that's fine by me or chat it up every hole, I'm easy.

That’s been me the past few years- I’ve had good experiences. I can chat it up or stay quiet

I started out playing again this summer as a single and was paired up a few times with some others and didn’t mind it at all. Most times, if the course was slow, I was invited or I invited others to play to try and help out the flow.

I play most weekends now with a group that I met when I asked them to play with me while I was waiting to tee off on 10th hole and they rolled up. We got along so well on those 9 holes and exchanged numbers. I think it helped that our skill levels kind of matched up.

I was always a bit apprehensive to play with someone I didn’t know but, I think that has subsided a bit as I have gotten a bit better.

I started out playing again this summer as a single and was paired up a few times with some others and didn’t mind it at all. Most times, if the course was slow, I was invited or I invited others to play to try and help out the flow.

I play most weekends now with a group that I met when I asked them to play with me while I was waiting to tee off on 10th hole and they rolled up. We got along so well on those 9 holes and exchanged numbers. I think it helped that our skill levels kind of matched up.

I was always a bit apprehensive to play with someone I didn’t know but, I think that has subsided a bit as I have gotten a bit better.
Getting comfortable playing in front of strangers took work.

I need to get over my fear of playing with strangers. I’m usually worried that there will be some random obscure rule/courtesy that I don’t know about it. I’m encouraged by all these posts though. It would be good for me to meet more golfers in my area though. I’ll have to push myself outside my comfort zone

Getting comfortable playing in front of strangers took work.
Absolutely does. Luckily have played with some understanding people when scoring in the 100’s and shanking every shot. Don’t think I would have continued playing as often as I do now if it weren’t for some of the guys I have played with. Fortunately have only encountered one jerk in all of my rounds.

90% of my golf rounds are random pairings. I enjoy meeting new people from different areas and skill levels. Made a few connections that way which is cool and also we are now regular playing partners

I need to get over my fear of playing with strangers. I’m usually worried that there will be some random obscure rule/courtesy that I don’t know about it. I’m encouraged by all these posts though. It would be good for me to meet more golfers in my area though. I’ll have to push myself outside my comfort zone
For weekend golf, you don’t really have to worry about anyone being a stickler with rules. After all, they are out on the course to have a fun round as well. (y)

Have been in your position and I just forced myself to go out because I was really enjoying the game. If I play as single so be it, but if I get paired up, that is fine too.

A majority of my rounds are random pairings, and I’ve never had an issue with them.

I usually think it's great. I like most people well enough and I'm pretty easy to get along with. I still keep in touch with people I met like that 25 years ago. To say it's always sunshine and roses though would be lying. Nothing in life is all the time though, so I try not to dwell on it if it goes poorly. It's just one round. And honestly, there are times when a scratch-ish golfer can ruin somebody's round just from the pressure of being paired with them. So what can you do?

Tomorrow I'm playing at a tourist spot as a single, and I'll admit when I saw my tee time was full now (the original pair, me, and now another single) I felt more confident in it. Playing with just another pair (friends, family members, a romantic couple, whatever) is when things seem to have the potential to be more trying. Add another like-minded single, or another outside person in general and it seems to balance things out a little better.

I look forward to playing with randoms later on in the journey. Right now, though, i feel i need to build a little experience first. I'm too self conscious about my skill level. I'm looking for people who are similar skill level as me to go out with.

I'm definitely on the "cool I get to meet someone new" end of the spectrum. I have a lot of friendships that have started with a random pairing.

I'm actually going to start doing this, and add myself as a single to random tree tee imes when I see a deal available.

Figuring it will do a couple of things.
1) Get me out playing more often
2) Introduce me to new people /players
3) Improve my game by virtue of 1 & 2 above

I wish more people used apps like The Grint / SwingU near me as I'd try and find people on there but nothing ever comes up.

EDIT : tee not tree!

Last edited:
It depends on when and where I am playing, also time of day.

If I am at a resort course, or out of town playing I like getting paired up with someone else. Minus them being a complete toxic player of fits, not respecting the game or course.

When it's around home, yes and no. I typically play with a group of 12-20 guys so were usually pretty full on tee times, but when someone new comes into the group they already have been "vetted" by one of us, so they arent out of hand.

I get to meet someone new! I play as a single all the time and 9 in 10 rounds are great. As long as the pair isn't with the "I'm out here to march through 18 guy" all is well.

Generally speaking I enjoy it. Sometimes it can be a PITA though if the person is really slow, try’s to give you advice, or any other number of annoying habits. I would say that is probably not happening 95% of the time though.

I love getting paired with people I don't know for the most part. I don't really know anyone at my home course, so any time I play in a medal it's with strangers and mostly they've been good people. Only issue comes if someone is painfully slow or has a bad attitude, that's when I struggle a wee bit.

In the league, it is quite possible to end up with a stranger when a new club is placed in the division, and it doesn't bother me at all
The only other time I am likely to end up with strangers is playing in a tournament at another club

At my home club you might not necessarily know the name of everyone, but the face will likely be familiar and you have probably spoken in passing

Back