The Random Pairing. Avoid at all cost or Cool I get to meet someone new?

I love playing with New friends. Strangers are just people you don't know yet!!
I have met some amazing people getting paired up with random strangers.

I usually prefer to have my foursome lined up, but have gotten to play with some cool people, and a few weirdos. One of the guys I play with regularly now was a single who got paired up with us. About the same age, had just moved from across the country and a cool dude.

Worst was the guy who kind of started throwing out some very strange racial comments.... but he quit after 9 and we all went our merry ways.

Only one bad experience....client scramble tournament with random pairings. Got a know it all with swing tips (unsolicited) & combined with non stop cigar smoking....If it wasn’t a large client I would’ve walked after 9....Other than that almost always fun!!

paired with a smoker can add a level of discomfort to my round. but most that I've played with have been respectful and policed their smoke.

It all depends on the type of person they are. If they arn't easy going/go with the flow type of person, I don't wanna spend 2-4 hrs with them TBH. Or IMO I hate the type of person that constantly critiques your golf swing, that drives me insane.

I have my regular foursome for Sunday mornings, we rotate in 2 other people if someone can’t make it. During the week I play a lot of rounds with strangers or by myself depending on how busy the course is.

When I used to play a lot of different courses it bothered me a little, a few bad experience kind of soured my thoughts on it. But now playing my home course all the time, I'm almost dread it more as I know the people and I'd rather not be paired with them, so always try and have a full group!

When I used to play a lot of different courses it bothered me a little, a few bad experience kind of soured my thoughts on it. But now playing my home course all the time, I'm almost dread it more as I know the people and I'd rather not be paired with them, so always try and have a full group!

Knowing the potential random pairing would be rather unsettling if you knew there were bad apples.

Knowing the potential random pairing would be rather unsettling if you knew there were bad apples.
Yeah, that's the weird part, don't get me wrong there are plenty of good ones and I don't mind if they jump in or I have to jump in their group, but there are some, that you almost hope you have a full group, of even 5 some times to make sure there's no room to add.

But inevitably sometimes there is a time open either before or after, and if they make six or even 7, they'll want to split the group up in two and use that extra tee time.

I like it. The only bad experience I had was a couple of years ago and I got paired with 2 older guys. They were the slowest people I have ever played with. It was excruciating. Plumb bob a 3 foot putt? You betcha! Back off your shot multiple times? You know it! It took 2.5 hours to play the front. I told them I couldn’t stand playing this slow and left. But overall it is enjoyable playing with random people minus that one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back