The Random Pairing. Avoid at all cost or Cool I get to meet someone new?

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How are you with getting paired with strangers? Does it get in your head? Or do you welcome it? Do you only book 4 someday with friends or club members?

I play as a single more often than rounds with friends so 70% of my rounds are with strangers. I have not had a bad experience.
How about you?

I don't think a random pairing would ever get in my head, but man it really depends on the day whether I want t be a part of one.

No problems with how people golf, but I like a certain type of mood when I play. Someone rolls in and either doesn't care about the game all that much, or throws a fit, and it burns me on the experience.

I almost always enjoy my solo golfing experiences when paired with someone.. unless they are super slow or complain the whole time

It does not bother me to get paired with strangers. I have only had one bad experience and let them play out ahead at the turn.

I don't think a random pairing would ever get in my head, but man it really depends on the day whether I want t be a part of one.

No problems with how people golf, but I like a certain type of mood when I play. Someone rolls in and either doesn't care about the game all that much, or throws a fit, and it burns me on the experience.

Thankfully I’ve never had to witness a fit throwing.

I'd say 90% of my rounds we're not a full four and have at least one person joining. I enjoy meeting and golfing new people. If they want to stick to themselves, that's fine by me or chat it up every hole, I'm easy.

I’m pretty easy going and I like meeting new people, so being paired up as a single doesn’t bug me

The one bad pairing I had was a father son. The father was something else. Slamming his clubs and cursing up a storm. It was kinda funny at first, eventually it got old. Reminded me of a pouty spoiled 10 year old.

The one bad pairing I had was a father son. The father was something else. Slamming his clubs and cursing up a storm. It was kinda funny at first, eventually it got old. Reminded me of a pouty spoiled 10 year old.

i live in a destination city soget pair with lots of vacationers abc business travels. Happy to see sun and grass.

I have no problem with getting paired with strangers. I do it sometimes when I take days off during the week.

Doesn’t happen a whole lot up here, but when it has it’s been fine. I guess it also depends on what course you’re playing.
I’m hoping to hit the singles queue at a certain Scottish course next winter... and if I get on, I hope I’m not the one cramping their style.

I’d much rather play with a group of guys I know but I also go out as a single on the spur of the moment sometimes so I have no problem either way.

The only issue I have on random paring is when I have a threesome and we like to bet on the holes. It can feel odd to not include someone that just joins us especially when they may not be able to join. Also, if my partner and I are playing a practice round in scramble format. Tough to play scramble format while another or two is playing normal.

If just playing for fun, the more the merrier.

I'm pretty excited to meet some new people. I've made so many friends just from playing as a single.

Admittedly it does put a damper on things if they are out there for completely different reasons than me, but there's usually a common ground to have some fun with.
My least favorite is the "let's get shitfaced and complain about our wives all day" crowd but I find they aren't typically dew sweepers like me.

I've seen some club smashers and tossers in my day.

Also had a dude call his wife at the turn while I was in ear shot claiming that he was beating a scratch golfer and wasn't come home for another couple hours. That wasn't awkward at all.

I like playing with 3 of my friends, talking smack and laughing.
I also play as a single a lot and I’ve never had a bad experience. Well, there was one time, I was on the first tee, it was not busy at all and an old guy flies up in his cart as I was digging in my bag. He asks if I mind if he joins me. I was like no problem, introduced myself. He starts telling me how good he is. I told him I am new to the game, about a 25cap. He looks at me and says wow I don’t remember ever being that bad. I think to myself, this is not going to be fun. He proceeds to tee off. I get my phone out to set up Arccos and he says to me “we aren’t gonna be playing with our phone all day are we?” I just looked at him and said No we won’t because I’m not playing with you. I told him to just go and I’d play by myself. He stuttered and said what? I told him to go, I don’t want to play with you. He jumped in his cart and sped away. Another single walked up and I played with him. We had a great round, played music and chatted.
At tournament type events, I prefer to play with people I don’t know. I enjoy meeting new people. It’s all about being outdoors and having a good time.

I like playing with 3 of my friends, talking smack and laughing.
I also play as a single a lot and I’ve never had a bad experience. Well, there was one time, I was on the first tee, it was not busy at all and an old guy flies up in his cart as I was digging in my bag. He asks if I mind if he joins me. I was like no problem, introduced myself. He starts telling me how good he is. I told him I am new to the game, about a 25cap. He looks at me and says wow I don’t remember ever being that bad. I think to myself, this is not going to be fun. He proceeds to tee off. I get my phone out to set up Arccos and he says to me “we aren’t gonna be playing with our phone all day are we?” I just looked at him and said No we won’t because I’m not playing with you. I told him to just go and I’d play by myself. He stuttered and said what? I told him to go, I don’t want to play with you. He jumped in his cart and sped away. Another single walked up and I played with him. We had a great round, played music and chatted.
At tournament type events, I prefer to play with people I don’t know. I enjoy meeting new people. It’s all about being outdoors and having a good time.

I start off with the bad shots and set the bar for a fun laughter filled round.

Doesn’t matter all that much to me really. I play as a single all the time so I get paired up with people pretty regularly. Some of them are strange, some are even stranger than I am. :ROFLMAO:

I start off with the bad shots and set the bar for a fun laughter filled round.
It’s all about the bad shots. Anyone who takes their game too serious, I don’t want to play with. I go out to laugh and have a good time! Make a couple of good shots but the bad shots are sometimes the most enjoyable memory of the round!

Doesn’t matter all that much to me really. I play as a single all the time so I get paired up with people pretty regularly. Some of them are strange, some are even stranger than I am. :ROFLMAO:
That’s funny, it’s hard to get stranger than me but it does happen from time to time! :ROFLMAO:

I would prefer playing alone but I don't mind getting paired up. Sometimes it's helpful to have someone else set the pace.

i live in a destination city soget pair with lots of vacationers abc business travels. Happy to see sun and grass.
It is a learning experience to see how it makes someone look. I’ll never be like that after seeing how pathetic it was. :ROFLMAO:

I play as a single mostly so I get paired all the time. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually like meeting new people, in general. Meeting new golfers is a plus! Unfortunately, I always seem to get paired with the tourists, so I rarely get a chance to exchange numbers to set up future rounds.

I would prefer playing alone but I don't mind getting paired up. Sometimes it's helpful to have someone else set the pace.

I don’t get the choice. Randoms and 5 hour rounds. we pay a price to play golf with snowbirds. ;).

j/k I’ve not had a bad experience. I’m playing golf in paradise!

Back