It's interesting to see what folks are working on. I've actually greatly decreased focus on the back swing and instead am working on the moment of transition into the down swing. I have a tendency to swing too early which traps my hands/club behind me. I found that whether my back swing is slightly outside, inside, etc, none of the paths helped because of my defective down swing sequencing.

Golf is hard. Going through this makes me understand more why even the Pros have coaches.

Honest answer is so/so. A mix of frustration, enjoyment, potential, and regret, haha. I'm doing it over the winter so that I embrace the changes and don't care where the ball is going for a while. If you would have seen my range session today you would have laughed at me for like 60% of my swings. But the other 40% showed what the potential could be. Going to stick with it, and hopefully be ready by Spring.
It's definitely a humbling experience. You really have to be willing to get worse before you get better. And for most of us, you included obviously, we don't have time to be spending hours at the range every day to get it ingrained quickly. So it becomes a bit of a drawn out process, and can easily lead to giving up. Just have to be patient (easier said than done), and take the long term approach. I think one of the biggest keys is finding an instructor you trust, and who you get along with, and don't feel bad about looking like an idiot at times in front of.

Iv started the journey the middle of October. The instructor im seeing I went to him in 2012 when I first got into the game and I credit him for my kick start playing golf. He got me going and I was coming to him quite often for awhile then branched out on my own. I improved some, took random lessons here and there, then finally figured out how hard this game actually is. At the time, I didn't really feel I wanted to invest the time and money into lessons and practice as I had other commitments I was into. But towards the middle/late part of this year I got frustrated enough where I said after this year is over im going to essentially start over even if it means getting worse to get better.

My instructor holds group sessions (3 per session) every night of the week. He has an indoor facility with three bay doors and propane heat above each bay and you hit to an outdoor range. He has very nice targets to hit at down range so your just not beating balls out in space and not knowing if your on target or coming in close for distance. Basically you commit, and you choose your time slot (if that slot is open) or close to it that works for you and that's your day and time every week. My time is 5:30 every Thursday. Im there with two other students or sometimes just one if the other cant make it. Hell iv been there by myself before as the other two couldnt make it that week which is nice. He will work with one student, get them going on something, then go over to the next, then the other and bounce back and forth the entire session. But, hes right there next to you still and if he sees you getting off kilter or struggling with something he can get you back on track. As I said I met up with him again in October and I said we both know my issues and what I struggle with and I cant figure it out on my own. I told him im his for the entire winter every week to engrain a repeatable game and at least compete with my playing partners which are all scratch to 4 and below.

My biggest issue iv struggled with is using my upper body coming in steep. Amongst other things most amateurs struggle with. The golf swing is so weird, what you feel is right is completely wrong. What you feel is weak and useless is right and powerful. When we started I knew a regression was going to happen and boy was it. But this is why I started this journey after the season was over. So far, the positives are REALLY showing and its fun seeing and feeling things I never have. Every other week we keep progressing in movements and positions. And each week we compare and analyze on video and its fun watching it start to come together. I will note its not cheap, but to be where I want to be I either need to be all in or stay at the level im at.

Come join me on it, will be entertaining at least. We could have an #ssholes & Esquires reunion with our new swings in a year or 2 haha.
Hahaha. That was a fun time. I remember Danny, “Well, I know you’re not a lawyer, so that leaves asshole”

That was a fun time....a really fun group we had there

Last edited:
Getting closer..... Instructor just sent me a video comparing my old swing to my new one. It is literally shocking. Just crazy. Its been a bit of a grind, but I'm happy I've undertaken the project.

I played for five years then had medical issue which sidelined me for two. I vowed that when i returned i would rebuild my swong from scratch. Did not take lessons. Bought books, read articles and watched videos on Swing Theory. Started swinging the club again in Feb 2019. Best decision i ever made.

Dennis

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

More thoughts. Hear a quote years ago that went like this...learn theory, learn theory, learn theory. If you know theory you can use it. If you dont know theory you cant.

When youmg we learned sports, reading , etc in this manner.

1. Technique (aka, form, basics, swing style, etc) - only takes a short time to learn
2. Skill (honing Technique)-takes a lifetime to develop.

The only limiting factors are our natural ability and time.

Most people get stuck on form (style) and never spend enough time developing skill.

Dennis

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I actually want to do a rebuild badly. Just afraid of the ugly stages of transition and also concerned about finding an affordable instructor who can actually help me find a consistent swing that works for me.

It has begun. Had a lesson today and might as well start from scratch haha. Video is awesome, what you think your doing your not really doing and what you think you aren’t...you are :oops:

I’ve considered it but then again I’m not so sure I have a swing yet. Certainly not a consistent one.

It has begun. Had a lesson today and might as well start from scratch haha. Video is awesome, what you think your doing your not really doing and what you think you aren’t...you are :oops:

Get it Captain!

I know! The video tape doesn’t lie!

I’ve been getting lessons from a guy that only uses video. Not track man or anything else. He really is not a good teacher as I’ve learned now but I prepaid. Even seeing the video helps me without his input. Anyway just agree with the video is great.

It will be worth it. Wonder if @JB has decided to do it with us too...

It will be worth it. Wonder if @JB has decided to do it with us too...

Im close.
I met with a pro a bit ago that I really like. He talked to me about a number of things that all made sense.
My only issue right now is timing as there is a lot going on at the beginning of the year. If I can make it through March, I am going to give it a go I think.

Can't rebuild what you never built in the first place!

For the first time in years, I'm seeing a coach and taking lessons. It's a very lengthy process, but is finally paying off and I'm starting to really get the balls moving the way I'd like them to

Little bit of an update: as stated in my first post in here, I decided to go the online route and I'm doing lessons with Shauheen Nakhjavani (@shkeengolf on Twitter and Instagram) through the Skillest app.

I sent him an updated swing just before Christmas. I didn't think there was much different in my swing in terms of how it looked on video, but he actually said that I was making good progress. The clubface is much more neutral because I changed my grip and it's in a pretty good spot for most of the backswing and when coming back down towards the ball. I just add some right forearm rotation at the top of my backswing that makes the swing go longer than it should. So he said if I want to shorten the backswing, let's start to feel every backswing is like a 3/4 swing. But the bigger focus now is on the pivot, I slide my hips towards the target too much in transition, arms get stuck behind the body, and then all I can hit are blocks or hooks (with some nice draws thrown in every once in a while). So I'm going to work on some new transition feels for the next couple of months, and then get back to him. I only get to hit balls now 1-2 times per week, so I don't think another online lesson within the next month is going to show much change.

It is so nice to have a plan of action where I'm only working on 1-2 things at a time. I'm taking the long view right now, I know that it's going to take a while but I'm hoping to come out on the back end of things with a swing that is much less timing dependent. It's interesting, Shauheen said this to me at first, no one is ever going to get "more consistent" because scores fluctuate by the day. We just want the range of scores to be better overall, so instead of my scores being 75 to 95 in a given year, let's get it to 72 to 92. That would be a nice change.

Had a lesson today, swing is finally looking really good. I’ve been going to the same pro for over two years now. The before and after swing videos are nuts to see. It’s crazy how long something takes to become natural. We worked on mine in specific parts once he though one part had become natural we moved to the next. He would also explain why we did stuff in the order we did it in. A frustrating yet rewarding process for sure.

Im close.
I met with a pro a bit ago that I really like. He talked to me about a number of things that all made sense.
My only issue right now is timing as there is a lot going on at the beginning of the year. If I can make it through March, I am going to give it a go I think.
I will be following along. It's been a bumpy ride for me but I'm seeing some much better rounds this year. I think having the launch monitor setup in my garage helped me work on my game during times I would have normally made excuses not to.

Every winter , I work on my swing trying to eliminate my funky move on the backswing. Starting to see less and less each year which is good

Back