The Rickie Fowler Thread

I was talking about the first go around on Sunday with #17. It's 317 to the pin. If he thought 3W would get him in trouble, pull the 5W or utility (not sure which one was in his bag yesterday) and play for par. I know it's easy for me to say that, but yesterday we were watching this hole and someone noted his "weird looking driver". I commented that it was the LTD (a shout out to THP for keeping me informed) and wondered why he pulled that on such a short hole. A few seconds later, he's in the drink.

I call it a gaffe because if there was a time to pull things back a bit, on a hole he routinely struggles with (I think I read a stat where he's dropped a ball in the water 9 times on that hole), he failed to do so.

the second time he went with 3w and ended up in the hazard left. S,he changed his game plan and still lost a ball and ended up not making par to extend the playoff. No one including him and his caddie are thinking the water in the back is in play. He got a bad break with bounce of the mound, if that doesn't happen then hitting driver isn't a "gaffe". 17 is not his hole on that course and he ends in the water more often than not.

Enjoying a look in on one of Fowler's Tuesday/Wednesday activities. Love that they show him working with some junior golfers in there as well.

Some great coverage there, would have loved to see more of Butch and him on the range that afternoon!

He got a bad break with bounce of the mound, if that doesn't happen then hitting driver isn't a "gaffe".
But he did get a bad break. If he lays up, that particular bad break can't happen. Hence, gaffe.

If I'm not mistaken he hit driver on 17 in Saturdays round as well, and ended up just short of the green. I assumed when he pulled driver on Sunday he was imagining a similar outcome.

He and Matsuyama were pretty close in driving when they both hit it very well. Both times Matsuyama played 17, he ended up just short of the putting surface. The only difference between his luck and Rickie's was one got a bounce that was soft and one got a hard runner.

He and Matsuyama were pretty close in driving when they both hit it very well. Both times Matsuyama played 17, he ended up just short of the putting surface. The only difference between his luck and Rickie's was one got a bounce that was soft and one got a hard runner.

I thought Matsuyama took less than driver there, though? It looked like he had the Stage 2 on the tee, at least in the playoff. But I might be remembering wrong.

I thought Matsuyama took less than driver there, though? It looked like he had the Stage 2 on the tee, at least in the playoff. But I might be remembering wrong.

I didn't get a good look at it in regulation, and once in the Super Bowl coverage started I was following via mobile.

Going off of shot tracker, Matsuyama only came up real short of the green one day, the rest were all around the front edge.

Fowler was the same the first three rounds at just at or on the front edge, and then Sunday he hit it 50yds further.

But he did get a bad break. If he lays up, that particular bad break can't happen. Hence, gaffe.

He laid up in the playoff and hit it in the hazard is that a gaffe too because he should have hit a club that wouldn't have put him in the water on the left? A gaffe IMO would be knowing he is going to go in the water long and still hitting driver or knowing he can't carry the fairway bunker on that hole and hitting the club that puts him in the bunker.

If he doesn't get a bad bounce on 17 in regulation then he is cheered for for being bold and probably winning the tournament in regulation.

He laid up in the playoff and hit it in the hazard is that a gaffe too because he should have hit a club that wouldn't have put him in the water on the left? A gaffe IMO would be knowing he is going to go in the water long and still hitting driver or knowing he can't carry the fairway bunker on that hole and hitting the club that puts him in the bunker.

If he doesn't get a bad bounce on 17 in regulation then he is cheered for for being bold and probably winning the tournament in regulation.

I would say that the first was a gaffe because of the commanding situation that he was in. He took himself out by selecting that club and getting a bad break. He only needed a par to apply pressure and he very well could have birdied with his wedge/putter skills.

I think the second time through was a gaffe for a different reason, he needed to be aggressive but got scared and laid up with a club that could still reach the hazard. He should have tried to put it on the green with driver or truly laid up with a shorter club and avoided the hazard. He basically kept all the risk without the reward.

Truly a disappointment. It would have been great for him to win in front of his family and at an event that he clearly enjoys. I still think he gets a major this year, he is playing fantastic golf!

Rickie was pretty emotional in his post-tournament interview last night. It's obvious this week meant a lot to him and I respect the way he carried himself around the course. Also, this is what I want to see more of, players truly taking the time to give back to the fans at the events. More than an hour after the loss, still signing autographs and making kids feel special. That's freaking awesome.

Even with those crazy jogger pants, I am becoming a pretty big Fowler fan. I hope he justifies some conversation about being a genuine part of the top four. It is an attitude like this, an extra effort like this, that will grow this game.

CapzSJCUUAARUnh.jpg:large

Definitely a class act. The guy just gets it. I feel so lucky to have PGA golf at at a time where we have a group of great guys (as people, as well as super -talented players): Rickie, Jason Day, Jordan Speith, Rory McIlroy. It's gonna be fun to watch these guys compete & interesting to see how the older crowd & the other young guns raise their game.

Noticed Rickie is wearing the Cobra hat today. I know Yagley had said that getting the Cobra hat on Rickie on Sunday was a big push of theirs because at the time it was Puma on Thursday Friday and Sunday with Cobra only being Saturday. That's pretty big for Cobra and add the fact that I've seen a couple King commercials already and I would say CPG is trending in the right direction

Noticed Rickie is wearing the Cobra hat today. I know Yagley had said that getting the Cobra hat on Rickie on Sunday was a big push of theirs because at the time it was Puma on Thursday Friday and Sunday with Cobra only being Saturday. That's pretty big for Cobra and add the fact that I've seen a couple King commercials already and I would say CPG is trending in the right direction

I love the Cobra logo and their hats are some of the best fitting and nicest shaped hats out there. Not big on the one Ricky is wearing though. Not a fan of flat brims or the gradient color change. And I know it's just my opinion, but those pants are just an awful look.

They may be an awful look, but it's got everyone talking about them. It's bringing more eyes to Rickie and CPG

The Rickie Fowler Thread

They may be an awful look, but it's got everyone talking about them. It's bringing more eyes to Rickie and CPG

I'll take the look if I can have his game!

I love the Cobra logo and their hats are some of the best fitting and nicest shaped hats out there. Not big on the one Ricky is wearing though. Not a fan of flat brims or the gradient color change. And I know it's just my opinion, but those pants are just an awful look.

I saw something that this was a design to mimmick the sweat stains on hats that people like to wear showing they put in tons of work. I am not a fan of the style.

Agreed, if that was the plan it failed for me!

If he can avoid the big number blow up hole he could really win alot of tournaments.

He seems to struggle on the weekends the last couple of weeks. I wonder what, if anything, is happening!

He seems to struggle on the weekends the last couple of weeks. I wonder what, if anything, is happening!

Have you paid attention to his career? There is a reason he is called Chik Fil A.

If he can avoid the big number blow up hole he could really win alot of tournaments.

It is really funny, but in the Golf Digest story on Fowler this month they mentioned that he has smoothed out his swing since working with Butch Harmon and Rickie has cut down on the number of blow up holes he had. Seems like he is having them right now, if he could get over that he would be rivaling Adam Scott for the early season crown.

Two tough courses back to back and some holes that he doesn't get along with. It's not like he was the only top player struggling at either course.

it's golf, some weeks they are going to have it and some weeks they will struggle with something.

Back