The Rickie Fowler Thread

No currently they can’t and tour vans are not at tour events currently.
I picked up my clubs at the clubfitter yesterday no problemo. I am not Ricky Fowler, however. I'm much prettier. :love:
They know the specs of their staffers and can send them anything they'd need. Any tweaks could be done by a tour trailer where like one tech could work on a set at a time at least. It wouldn't have to be an OEM trailer. Just one with loft/lie and whatever other basics they might need. But they can send them twenty sets if they want for their tour staffers. Economics is not limiting such decisions.

I picked up my clubs at the clubfitter yesterday no problemo. I am not Ricky Fowler, however. I'm much prettier. :love:
They know the specs of their staffers and can send them anything they'd need. Any tweaks could be done by a tour trailer where like one tech could work on a set at a time at least. It wouldn't have to be an OEM trailer. Just one with loft/lie and whatever other basics they might need. But they can send them twenty sets if they want for their tour staffers. Economics is not limiting such decisions.
Your clubs are product already in their inventory that just need to be tweaked to your specs. His are custom-built prototypes that they keep zero inventory of and are not available to anybody else. Big difference.

Your clubs are product already in their inventory that just need to be tweaked to your specs. His are custom-built prototypes that they keep zero inventory of and are not available to anybody else. Big difference.
I doubt Cobra is happy with this. And its not cause they can't get him properly spec'd irons in his hands. These are gigantic mutli-national conglomerates that own the club companies for a long time. Golf is a snippet in their portfolios. Look at the products advertised during telecasts. Largest firms on earth. Clubheads are not an issue. Ricky no likey for some reason. No biggie. I respect that more, personally. Use what you think is best for you. They'll eventually get him into something that at least looks like what is avail to the rest of us.

And mine are one of a kind too. They're mine. :ROFLMAO:

I’m not here to convince someone. If they want the facts, we will provide them. If they want to create a different story that’s fine too.

It’s why we have our THP Experiences, so that THPers can ask these questions and play golf with the people that create these clubs.

But I will laugh a bit at the size of Cobra Golf and the rest of these golf companies and their custom/tour department and R&D dept. your image is way off.

Ballistics labs, NASA engineers and others that work for these companies are quite expensive. It's been that way for a long time,
The end product is the end result in the process.
Waay too much money up front for the cost of steel and forging presses that they already have not to be used.
A lot of protos were never even made by the OEM years ago. The "Tiger Miuras" etc. Shhhh.... ;)

A pro not playing the new wares is tantamount to the NFL back holding out for mo money. Shame, Ricky. Shame.

Ballistics labs, NASA engineers and others that work for these companies are quite expensive. It's been that way for a long time,
Waay too much money up front for the cost of steel and forging presses that they already have not to be used.
A lot of protos were never even made by the OEM years ago. The "Tiger Miuras" etc. Shhhh.... ;)

A pro not playing the new wares is tantamount to the NFL back holding out for mo money. Shame, Ricky. Shame.
Yes a former NASA engineer works at Cobra his name is Mike Yagley and he plays with THPers every year in the Morgan Cup, but the rest is just incorrect. Forging equipment? Golf companies don’t have foundries anymore.

Players change equipment and the unique times of delays with stock, no tour vans at tournaments allowed and most companies locking down travel for employees have left player testing and changes delayed.

You do realize a LOT of tour players don’t early adopt or maybe even ever adopt all the new releases, don’t you? That’s not the way this works.

Isn't this just proof that when making a swing change everything gets worse before it gets better? Even for the pros it seems. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He needed to make a change in his mind so he's doing it. Hopefully he figures it out

But I will laugh a bit at the size of Cobra Golf and the rest of these golf companies and their custom/tour department and R&D dept. your image is way off.
@JB - Speaking in generalities and not specifics in terms of any one particular company, what's a ballpark figure in terms of staffing in those two departments for major OEMS?

@JB - Speaking in generalities and not specifics in terms of any one particular company, what's a ballpark figure in terms of staffing in those two departments for major OEMS?

It is SOOOO different depending on company.
Tour build departments generally are not very large. If you go Tour Van you are talking about a few. Full inclusion at HQ (for some), maybe a few more.
R&D is where it is completely different. Some companies will have a number of engineers and spending tens of millions of dollars. Other companies it is less than a handful.

It is SOOOO different depending on company.
Tour build departments generally are not very large. If you go Tour Van you are talking about a few. Full inclusion at HQ (for some), maybe a few more.
R&D is where it is completely different. Some companies will have a number of engineers and spending tens of millions of dollars. Other companies it is less than a handful.
Insightful...

I just wish there was one thing to push Rickie over the top and be dominant in game of golf. He needs to change whatever he is doing Friday night or Saturday pre round... He slips off during moving day.

You do realize a LOT of tour players don’t early adopt or maybe even ever adopt all the new releases, don’t you? That’s not the way this works.

That's why companies get so damn excited when the product goes immediately in a tour players bag.

That was the point of the conversation. Fully aware. They want their players to adopt as soon as possible. It's business. Going back many genertaions of clubs is not him avoiding early adopting, per se. Its him trying new things he thinks will work better. But any news that they can't get him multiple proto sets with multiple shafts is just spin. Any OEM wants a new club model in their top tour players hands that at least looks like what the public will be playing as soon as possible. Lotta money goes into building up each tour player's "brand."

But any news that they can't get him multiple proto sets with multiple shafts is just spin.

This just isn't accurate in the current climate.
Timing plays an issue. Offices are closed, travel locks are in place and equipment is taking longer to get in from overseas.

This just isn't accurate in the current climate.
Timing plays an issue. Offices are closed, travel locks are in place and equipment is taking longer to get in from overseas.
Bah. PGA Tour is a non profit entity fully embracing all things Covid if they know what's good for them. They are run by the richest people on Earth.
Don't lose credibility over something like this. You have all your swag coming in. Let Cobra do their PR job.
You stay true to what you're doin' for your readers and members. Right? (y)

Bah. PGA Tour is a non profit entity fully embracing all things Covid if they know what's good for them. They are run by the richest people on Earth.
Don't lose credibility over something like this. You have all your swag coming in. Let Cobra do their PR job.
You stay true to what you're doin' for your readers and members. Right? (y)

Not sure what to make of this post.

The PGA Tour has nothing to do with players getting equipment built other than tour van allowance, which has been closed off.
Cobra has not said a word publicly about this, nor would they. I asked multiple people because we believe in getting news for THPers straight from the source and always get multiple.

If you want to believe that its some conspiracy and a player wants to play older gear, fine by us.

Not sure what to make of this post.

The PGA Tour has nothing to do with players getting equipment built other than tour van allowance, which has been closed off.
Cobra has not said a word publicly about this, nor would they. I asked multiple people because we believe in getting news for THPers straight from the source and always get multiple.

If you want to believe that its some conspiracy and a player wants to play older gear, fine by us.
No there's nothing "conspiracy" about stating my opinion based on solid facts that are on display for anyone to consume if they so choose.
I've done what you do already. I did it starting in 2001. Been around the block. No longer influenced in any way by gear hanging over my head. Never was in my true opinions, but because I didn't get enough gear to give away to people, they turned on me.
This is solid opinion. Not trying to rock yer boat here at all, but any notion you stick up for OEM's over truly unbiased reviews and the pitchforks and torches come out quick. I didn't get much gear, but what I did, people resented me greatly for it. And I had others stab me in the back and essentially steal my experience from me. They still operate out there to this day. All for free gear. The one guy was a pastor, for God's sake!

I don't think you'll get more experienced or pointed advice ever for what you do here (not that you asked for it.)
Don't stifle what's real and others' experiences by going to "conspiracy."
Not the case.

And the OEM's are operating within the PGA tour rules. It's like Nascar or anything else. If Toyota team #6 needs a new carbuerator, they can get it. :unsure:

Haha. Not really sure what to make of any of that.
As I said, if you want to believe its spin, go for it.
We went to the source (multiple as we always do) to get the facts for those that want them because that is how we operate, just as with any of our news.

I'm sorry to hear people "turned on you", but we do things a bit differently here and for those that love it. Great. Those that don't, the good news is there are tons of websites out there that each offer their own way of going about things.

I am so confused on what is happening here? Is this because Rickie is playing 5 year old ( or what ever it is) amp irons currently?

I am so confused on what is happening here? Is this because Rickie is playing 5 year old ( or what ever it is) amp irons currently?
shhh.

Dog gifs.

I think i follow...

I think your sources used to be my sources in many instances. :unsure:;) I haven't been away that long. :LOL:
It's all in players' contracts what they need to abide by. Your/my sources made available to a golf forum could never legally comment on such a matter.
Only Ricky and the lawyers know that stuff. No fun anyway.

This is a fun place. Many good people here. I like it. (y) But don't quell free speech is the point when its totally based on fact, reality, experience, and no financial motives whatsoever.

I've got 5 years of golf deficit built up in me. It will get better when I can get out there and play when this heat passes. I'm just golf talking right now. Time to golf!

Yes. It's the implicit notion Cobra has such "small budgets" that they can't get the latest wares into Ricky's hands. (Would Cobra sources say that? No.)
If they did, they need to go do "better" marketing campaigns at one of the other many interchangable agencies and corps. Cause they droppin that ball bad.

And no way Covid would keep clubs that staffers need out of their hands. It suits two arguments at once. Covid mania being spread by the largest firms and media on earth, and saves face for Cobra that Ricky ain't got the new wares in the bag. (y) If I can think of ways to put tour trailers out there, put "IBM Watson" on it already! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Small biz is under attack if ya haven't noticed, and employment law and worker rights at the largest firms are being made up as it all goes.
Dangerous times, folks, on so many levels. Sports leagues are a non-profit legal playground for the corporate elite. News flash. :unsure:

Folks, the largest corporations were "nationalized" during the last great world war. On many continents. Maybe I'm a little more into history than others.
All the corporations toe the line in similar fashion to stay in the good graces of the powers that be under corporate fascism.
Too much?:LOL: I do love my old Cobra irons. Bet the new ones are fun too. :D

Just discussion. Take it or leave it. I think about a lot of stuff and read a lot of stuff all the time. And I'm in my manic phase right now. :LOL::love:

FWIW, its RICKIE, not RICKY....

Because I am so confused, I’ll make this easier. Reach out to ”your sources” and discuss with them. As we have said all along, want to believe its something else, go for it, thats the beauty of this great game.

Much of the above is incorrect. There are few players that have any contract that demands latest. This is discussed at THP Experiences every year by just about every company. For some reason this has become some line in the sand about your job experience as if we are Similar people despite never meeting me. Haha. We are here to help people, bring them news and provide a fun space and the most amazing golf experiences on the planet. Outside of that, I’ll pass.

For those that have come to trust us to bring them the news each day, we will continue to share that.

Back