The Road to the 2020 Grandaddy! Captain MattyD-MPLS aka Dimples

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For those of you that don't know me, my name is Matt Dawson and I grew up in Southwest Minnesota. I am 38, married to my wife of 10 years and we have 2 beautiful girls named Camryn and Gabrielle(Gabby). I grew up in a golfing family. My mom and dad were both pretty accomplished players locally. I think mom has the Club Championship wins lead over my dad, 5 to 4. My brother is also a pretty good stick. You may see him pop on from time to time here. His screen name is MNMarc. I played in high school and had a pretty good 5 years of Varsity golf. I tried out for my college's golf team and just missed and didn't try out again until I met my wife. Her brother played for another school her in Minnesota and I went to watch him with her and her parents. That day I said to myself, “hey, they aren’t any better than me” and decided I should try out again. The next fall, I made the team and was lucky enough to have an amazing coach that helped me immensely. I was able to play 2 years and my last tournament was the 2005 Division 2 National Championship at Savannah Harbor. A pretty special way to go out even though our team finished DFL.

I worked in the golf business for 5 years in Minnesota and played in a few tournaments. I decided to get out the the golf business and get a M-F job which has allowed me to join a league with a great group of guys and a lot of fun opportunities to play. Season long match play events, stroke play, team events and state wide team events.

Those events all lead me to where I was 11 months ago when I joined. I didn't know what I was getting into. I thought it was just going to be banter back and forth about equipment and other golf topics. Boy was I wrong. This place is special. A month in, I was selected for TEEm Tour Edge and got to review some awesome equipment. Another 3 months, I was lucky enough to be selected for the 2019 THP Championship, where I got to play with @checkered and team Purple Rain almost pulled it off. 2 feisty Canadians played amazing down the stretch and won the tournament. I got to meet some amazing people while out in Idaho!

That brings me to present day. Somehow I was named the Captain of The Freaking Grandaddy. Still don't know how or why I was selected. I was at my desk on a phone call with a client and I had been following the PGA Show Live thread because the big news of the last 2 spots for the Morgan Cup were about to be announced. I saw a bunch of notifications start to wrack up and I began to get excited. That's when I saw it. ANNOUNCEMENT The Captain. I told my client that I was on the phone with that I would have someone call her back. I couldn't think. I opened the thread and watched Canadan and Darth Finley, say 'congrats, you are going to the Grandaddy'!

It has been 4 days since then and I have watched that video every day and I will probably watch it everyday for a while. I also got to show my daughters that video when I got home, they loved it too!

I have had conversations with my ASS CAP @dacatalyst41 every day. I have also spoken with former ASS CAP @mikeg_74 and Captain @McLovin just to find out what this awesome journey is about. I am so excited to meet and talk to more Grandaddy Alumni.

I will posting golf info and little tidbits about me throughout the process. If you have any questions for me. Fire away.

Last edited:
Congrats dude, I know you’re going to enjoy the ride. And trust me when I say this.. @dacatalyst41 only sleeps like 30 minutes a night, so when your lying awake...just feel free to call him and chat about The Grandaddy. Remember, there is no question too silly to ask.

Worried about coordinating underwear colors with the team? Ask him.

worried about how many golf balls you should bring? Ask him 2 or 3 times.

??????

Seriously, I can’t wait to follow your journey dude!

Southwest MN you say? Where at? I have some family down there.

I am so happy for you and it was a real pleasure meeting you in Idaho. You are going to have such a great year. The THP folks that join you on this journey are going to blessed to be able to call you a friend. In a forum full of some outstanding people, you are among the best. This will be fun to follow you on your journey!

That is awesome!!!
What is the one thing you are looking forward to right now?

So it begins...

Windom, MN
Ah, a little south yet. Family is scattered around the Marshall area.

I can't wait for your team to start taking shape. Sounds like golf has been in your blood for a while.

Can't wait to follow you along on this amazing journey and see how you influence the next batch of THP participants in the Grandaddy! No doubt you will represent the G well!

That is awesome!!!
What is the one thing you are looking forward to right now?
I have always dreamed about being able to get fit at a place like this. I have been a club junky since I fell in love with golf.

Ah, a little south yet. Family is scattered around the Marshall area.

I can't wait for your team to start taking shape. Sounds like golf has been in your blood for a while.
My wife’s family and I played in a tournament in Minneota a bunch of times.

Congratulations Matt! Sounds like the 2020 team will be in great hands, and so awesome you have @McLovin and @dacatalyst41 behind you to carry on the legacy.

Looking forward to the contests where I, among the hundreds of others, hope to one day get a call from you welcoming us to the team! Until then, best of luck!

I am so happy for you and it was a real pleasure meeting you in Idaho. You are going to have such a great year. The THP folks that join you on this journey are going to blessed to be able to call you a friend. In a forum full of some outstanding people, you are among the best. This will be fun to follow you on your journey!
Thank you brother!

Congrats dude, I know you’re going to enjoy the ride. And trust me when I say this.. @dacatalyst41 only sleeps like 30 minutes a night, so when your lying awake...just feel free to call him and chat about The Grandaddy. Remember, there is no question too silly to ask.

Worried about coordinating underwear colors with the team? Ask him.

worried about how many golf balls you should bring? Ask him 2 or 3 times.

??????

Seriously, I can’t wait to follow your journey dude!
You wear underwear at the Grandaddy??

Matt gets it and will be fine. I know @dacatalyst41 will help him along and this team will be ready. 11 months seems like a long time but it goes by fast.

Watching, and excited to follow along.

Where do you usually play down in the cities Matty?

Where do you usually play down in the cities Matty?
I play at a course called Rum River Hills. It is in the north metro. I play quite a bit with my brother Marc at his club called Island View.

Congrats. You have had an amazing first year with THP and boy this year is looking a whole lot better. Following along is going to be fun with a great start already.

Matty - utmost confidence in your abilities. A lot of people speak very highly for you and I think you and my brother from another mother @dacatalyst41 are going to crush it.

might I suggest going full in and changing your handle to Dimples? ?

would love to have you out to play this spring / summer if you can get out to Detroit for a day or two!
Cheers bud!

Following along this year will be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see how this years Grandaddy shapes up and who makes the team. (y)

Back