LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Forget about the -20 or more groups.
Forget about the winning and losing.
Forget about the long drivers.

Is there anything better for your golf mental health? Get three buddies to spend the afternoon with, hammering through the drink tickets, mediocre grab bags, and questionable free lunch boxes. Talking about golf and life, mocking the terrible, celebrating the good, laughing through the pace of play..

I joined a buddy today for a scramble and played with another guy I'd met before, and someone I'd never met. We spent five hours laughing, joking, golfing, drinking... really just celebrating not being at a desk on a Friday afternoon. It also gave me a chance to sneak in some personal swing mods because sometimes my shots just flat out didn't matter.

It takes me into the weekend with confidence, which I probably haven't really had in a while. (bring it on, Sat/Sun rounds)

Anyone else feel the same way about the scramble?

As long as someone drives me I am with you. One of the few times I don't notice a 5 hour round.

Love them, outside the complete lack of morals which seems to be pervasive in a scramble. But the actual play is a ton of fun.

Love them, outside the complete lack of morals which seems to be pervasive in a scramble. But the actual play is a ton of fun.
That's the beauty, right? Forget who wins - find a scramble where winning doesn't mean a damn thing.

Have four rounds on the docket with the boys next weekend. Hope to sell them on this for one of them.

I played in one today as a single, since I was off & going to play anyway & it was for a good cause. Got paired up with some older guys & had a great time. It's always better when you know score doesn't matter.

Haven’t played in a formal one, but I’m trying to set something up this year. A buddy and I typically play a scramble when we get out together and it’s always a ton of fun!

not my favorite. if i’m making the sacrifice away from work and family to take that much time for myself, i want it to be a “regular” round. i feel like i can do all the fun camaraderie stuff and still play a standard round where i’m trying to post a number.

I do enjoy a scramble every once in awhile. Just for the fun of them, not really getting all serious and trying to post 18 under. They can be good confidence building rounds too.

I love playing scramble format. You just have fun and the score is always nice to look at

Also, great for the side bets. Closest to the pin, longest drive in fairway, etc.

Forget about the -20 or more groups.
Forget about the winning and losing.
Forget about the long drivers.

Is there anything better for your golf mental health? Get three buddies to spend the afternoon with, hammering through the drink tickets, mediocre grab bags, and questionable free lunch boxes. Talking about golf and life, mocking the terrible, celebrating the good, laughing through the pace of play..

I joined a buddy today for a scramble and played with another guy I'd met before, and someone I'd never met. We spent five hours laughing, joking, golfing, drinking... really just celebrating not being at a desk on a Friday afternoon. It also gave me a chance to sneak in some personal swing mods because sometimes my shots just flat out didn't matter.

It takes me into the weekend with confidence, which I probably haven't really had in a while. (bring it on, Sat/Sun rounds)

Anyone else feel the same way about the scramble?

I think this is absolutely the right attitude to have about any scramble.

I get the freedom/carefree part, and do enjoy that. The bad food and drinks, the all day round, and the drama not as much. It's infinitely more fun when winning isn't even a goal of the group. I try to think of them as vacation rounds. My wife loves them, and seeing her get competitive within the group is a riot.

I love a good scramble. Nothing more fun thanks working as a team but still being able to have a bit of razzing.

My absolute favorite part of the game. Love playing as a team and rooting each other on.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

They are a lot of fun to play in. You can send a fun jab to your friend when a putt doesn’t come close or an SWord comes out.

I got to play in one with dad a few weeks ago and that was awesome. Anytime I can tee it up with him, I am all in.

That's the beauty, right? Forget who wins - find a scramble where winning doesn't mean a damn thing.
The winner of a scramble is always the biggest liar. I don't play in them to win, I play in them to have fun just like you described in the OP. They're a stress free day of golf with plenty of shenanigans and camaraderie. Wouldn't want to do it every round, but they're a fun break from the usual.

Usually do a few a year and they are mostly fun. As long as you go in with zero expectations and just want to have a good time. It's when people take it too seriously that it can start losing some fun.

***checks phone for invite***
you were fourth in the list…

It would have been nice if one of the other three said no to have a driver down to GA….

Scrambles are good for the soul. In moderation of course.......

I enjoy them when not on a course I really want to play.

I play several throughout the year. I enjoy it because it allows me to do things I wouldn’t normally do. We have a ball safe in the fairway on a hole I normally hit an iron off the tee? Sounds like a good time to grab a driver and let it rip! Somebody hit a nice safe layup on a par 5? We’ll time to fire away at the green! It’s just one of those things I do to have fun. I never care about winning or losing in these. I am there to have a good time and maybe hit an incredible shot or 2.

Last weekend I played one where I was easily the most consistent of the 4. The other guys all played senior tees with one old enough they put him on ladies tees. That hurt a bit as I really had to rethink my normal let them go first and then fire away attitude off the tee as I went first every time. They also insisted I putt first and hit most approach shots first. I think that hurt us in the end as I was definitely the most reliable all around but we had a blast and played my ball at least 85-90% of the time.

Playing in one Monday with guys I’ve known for years. Should be a lot of fun.

They’re fun. No reason to take them too seriously like some do, if someone pencil whips it, who gives a rip, it’s all about FUN.

Last edited:
I enjoy them when not on a course I really want to play.
This.

I've lived in my area since 1999 and there was only one (private) club that I had yet to play.

They hosted a scramble for a scholarship last year that I entered. I was happy to play, have fun (I'm not enough of a cheat to actually win a scramble), donate my money to the cause, and finally play the last course in my area but I wasn't super stoked that I had to play it as a scramble. It was all good, though. I had a good time and quickly found out that the course was VASTLY overrated. The course was in good shape but the layout was BORING and some of the greens complexes bordered on clown's mouth status.

But, the scramble was fun. 🤷‍♂️

Back