The shaft matters...who knew??

lazychicken

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently learned what many of you have been saying for a long time: The shaft matters. I'll be honest, I knew there were lots of technical differences and tons of super-special engineering in these things, but I didn't think any of that would matter to *ME* with *MY* mediocre amateur swing. Here's my story:

Maybe 2 years ago or so I was playing a Mizuno driver. It was a JPX-EZ I bought from RockBottom just as a test. I had always played regular flex shafts, and I started wondering if I would produce better results with a stiff flex. I also wanted to experiment with the driver at 43.5". So I got the inexpensive Mizuno and had it shortened. I certainly noticed an improvement from my previous driver. But obviously I changed a lot of things so it's tough to say what exactly led to the improvement. I wasn't going for science here, just making a change because: golf.

One day, after playing the Mizuno for awhile, I walked up to a tee box, leaned over to put my tee in the ground, and heard a crunching noise. The shaft on the Mizuno just fell apart. Most likely owing to my perfect swing and my stellar driving skills, of course. The guys in the pro shop offered to send it in for warranty replacement. And, in the meantime, like any other golfer, I used this as an opportunity to buy a new driver. The head pro did a fitting using Trackman and ended up putting me in the Callaway Rogue. As tends to happen with me, I noticed an improvement for a little while and then I guess I unconsciously changed something in my swing and went back to struggling.

Due to a mixup between the pro shop and Mizuno, my warranty replacement shaft eventually arrived and they had sent a Tensei CK Orange 50. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but the head pro told me it was a much better shaft than what I had and I would be silly to not at least try it. So I put it on the Rogue and played it until maybe a month ago. A month ago, I hit my tee shot with it and heard the sickening double crack sound (my ball hitting the face, and then another crack of the shaft breaking). It broke in between the adapter and the ferrule. I'm pretty sure this break was due to my clubs sliding around in the trunk of my car so much lately. I'm told I drive..."spiritedly". lol

So now I needed a new shaft but I had learned enough from you guys and from my experience with the Tensei to understand that I really needed some help figuring out what to buy. But I also needed my driver back quickly, so I determined to find an inexpensive shaft to use in the meantime, and then to seek a fitting to figure out what I should be playing. A local guy on Facebook Marketplace was selling a Diamana S+ Blue 60 stiff flex driver shaft he said he played a couple rounds on and then figured out he needed regular flex and changed it out. I bought it, had it regripped and a Callaway adapter put on, and put it in the bag.

Guys? I've never had an experience like this with a driver before. My dispersion is MUCH tighter. I'm finding the fairway on nearly every shot and I'm annoying the crap out of my usual golf buddies because my drives are longer, straighter, and more predictable than ever before in my golfing life. I realize this was just a fluke, just dumb luck. But this is fantastic!! The ball is suddenly going where I aim it!! I really had always assumed my swing was too inconsistent for the shaft to matter much. But maybe my swing was inconsistent because I was trying to solve for a shaft that didn't work for me. My swing seems very consistent now. This is the weirdest thing! (I know, I know, you're shaking your head because I'm freaking out about something that is probably so obvious...)

Anyway, now if I could just learn how to putt.

Last edited:
Yeah I think all the heads are pretty good, getting the shaft right can seriously change the performance of the club. Great write up.

I went through a fitting this year and could not believe the difference a shaft makes also. It is a night and day difference when you find the one that works for you. I am glad you had such good luck in finding a shaft that works!

My favorite shaft is Diamana blue. I replace project x green that came with my epic flash fairway wood and it made world of difference. Distance is same but sound and ball flight is so consistent. I have another blue and i am replacing my 7 wood soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a golf club was a car, the shaft would be the engine. Heck yeah the shaft matters.

So I've found out. ?

It’s amazing what finding the right combo / setup can do. I’m still searching for the combo that’ll cause me to shoot par. ?

I’m of on the side of the head is what’s most important and the shaft is to help fine-tune to make it even better for that individual.

I’m of on the side of the head is what’s most important and the shaft is to help fine-tune to make it even better for that individual.

My philosophy is that the head dictates how the ball should react given a person's swing ( Spin, launch, etc. ) but the shaft makes sure it gets there when you want it, how you want it, and transfers as much energy as possible into that head so it can do what it was designed to do.

We all have our own special swing quirkiness. I mean, as hard as I, along with probably many people on this forum, try to constantly improve my swing, it's probably never going to look like Adam Scott's. So I feel like the wide array of shaft differences are designed to give you all the options you need to find a shaft that contemplates your particular swing quirks, nullifies the elements that are going to cause problems with your ball flight, and efficiently transfers the swing energy to the head.

On the other hand, NO head/shaft combination is going to be able to overcome the physics of a terrible swing. Not even the fancy infomercial "cure-all" ones. :golf3::laughing:

The shaft does matter, but, it is unusual to break that many shafts. Do you hit it off of the heel a lot?

The shaft does matter, but, it is unusual to break that many shafts. Do you hit it off of the heel a lot?
The first one was most likely from an extended period of time in my swing where I was either duffing the ground behind the ball or coming down on top of the ball. Certainly it didn’t break because it spent its life with me hitting the center of the face on every swing. And as I said, I’m pretty sure the second one was from me realizing too late that my clubs were sliding around in my trunk. I had started playing a lot of different courses around town rather than just my home course so I wasn’t leaving my bag in bag storage at the club anymore. Apparently my driver was absorbing the impact as the bag slid around. The other option is it might have been weakened by too tight a grip on the graphite when the adapter was being installed. I’ve read that sometimes can lead to breaking right by the adapter like mine did. I’m not a club builder so I don’t really know. But I agree, 2 broken shafts seems excessive.

I see that you went from the 50g Tensei to a 60g Diamana. Have you noticed much difference from the weight of the shaft, or is it that close that it's not that big of a change?

I see that you went from the 50g Tensei to a 60g Diamana. Have you noticed much difference from the weight of the shaft, or is it that close that it's not that big of a change?
Not really sure. Something changed. Maybe that was part of it.

First and foremost, golf club is only part of the equation. Golfer , is the main component. Why do golfers only looking to improve the golf club and neglect the golfer's physical condition ? Because it is an easy way out to fix the equipment then strengthen the physical condition of the golfer.
That being said, Mizuno ( at least the older generation of them ) tend to have weaker than stated flex in their graphite shafts. Going to get fitted by an experienced fitter on your part is a plus on your side which will shorten the search and save you lots of money on the journey to find the combination of head /shaft for your driver. And, yes, it may not look so on paper or spread sheet but it does make a difference which shaft goes with which driver head if the golfer is demanding.

Now, the business of damaging the shafts ( multiple of them in your case ) all in the proximity of where the tip joined the hosel..... I would be examining the process of shafting, both the hosel and the tip of the shaft...... you know that it is not necessary to sand off the paint completely from the tip to apply the epoxy ? With the lighter shafts with thinner wall construction around the tip, usually I'll use a sharp utility knife scoring off the clear coat of the paint ( or both the clear coat and the decorative color layer ) before installing it; this way the graphite layers would not be damaged b y sanding. Checking the top of the hosel for possible shaft movement to cause abrasion is another process for dry fitting. If the hosel is not properly coned and smoothed and/ or the rim is sharp..... you know it'll cause trouble if joining two separate parts that are not fitted firmly .
Very seldom we see multiple shaft failure the same way with different heads and shafts, You have to be careful when prep the modern lightweight graphite shafts, can't sand down the tip like it was the steel shafts.

Last edited:
First and foremost, golf club is only part of the equation. Golfer , is the main component. Why do golfers only looking to improve the golf club and neglect the golfer's physical condition ? Because it is an easy way out to fix the equipment then strengthen the physical condition of the golfer.
That being said, Mizuno ( at least the older generation of them ) tend to have weaker than stated flex in their graphite shafts. Going to get fitted by an experienced fitter on your part is a plus on your side which will shorten the search and save you lots of money on the journey to find the combination of head /shaft for your driver. And, yes, it may not look so on paper or spread sheet but it does make a difference which shaft goes with which driver head if the golfer is demanding.

Now, the business of damaging the shafts ( multiple of them in your case ) all in the proximity of where the tip joined the hosel.....
Wow, thanks for the lecture, Mr. Internet Golfer Expert Guy!! None of what you said has anything to do with my post, but hey, you do you. lol ;)

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I think a fitting is more finding the right shaft as everyone has said. You go in with an idea of what driver you want, but matching it with the right shaft can mean a big difference in dispersion and distance.

I'm doing very well with my driver and this shaft. But, I certainly look forward to my Club Champion Christmas present from my wife. I want to try a few different drivers along with different irons, and ALL the shafts!!!!!:twist::ROFLMAO::love:

Wow, thanks for the lecture, Mr. Internet Golfer Expert Guy!! None of what you said has anything to do with my post, but hey, you do you. lol ;)

Sorry bud for spoiling your thread, I'll make sure not to thread on your path in the future.
Happy threading .

Great ah-ha moment. The sad thing is the number of people who never have this ah-ha moment and go on playing the game not knowing what they are missing. I hope your story will help some see what's possible.

Great ah-ha moment. The sad thing is the number of people who never have this ah-ha moment and go on playing the game not knowing what they are missing. I hope your story will help some see what's possible.
Totally agree!! And yeah, I hope so too!

Back