The Smashing Pumpkins

Northerner

Reaction score
Any Pumpkins fans here? What's your favorite album??

And Rolling Stone still thinks MATIS it's a 4 out of 5 star effort. :ROFLMAO:

Adore was the first album I got...I was late to the game. My older sister was always plaing Siamese Dream when we were in HS and it turned me off to them (big sister thing, I guess). But I liked Adore...now I really like Adore quite a lot. It's an album that has aged well, I think.

From the interviews I have seen of Corgan, he kind of turns me off a bit...but he can shred and there is no denying some of the work he's produced. (y)

Very much like Smashing Pumpkins! I think I’d have to go with Mellon Collie... so many amazing songs... Tonight, Tonight; 1979; Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

Second favourite is Siamese Dream just because of Cherub Rock.

I'm going Siamese Dream purely for that instant hit of adrenaline that Cherub Rock was. The sheer wall of fuzz on the guitars, and of course Jimmy Chamberlain is just an absolute monster on the drum kit, one of the finest drummers ever in my opinion. I still play the album regularly now, to me Soma is the very pinnacle of 90s alternative rock.

Mellon Collie also was a very important record for me, songs like Zero really shaped my own guitar playing.

Adore onwards was a bit hit and miss for me. Lots of amazing songs, but hidden among a lot of pretentious filler. But then the joy of Corgan was always that very fine line between pretension and genius :ROFLMAO:

I was late for the party as well. Born in 89' but The Smashing Pumpkins are truly one of my favorites. I'd have to go with Bullet with Butterfly Wings. The live version just rocks:)🤘

EDIT:eek:h wait favourite album:D definitely Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

One of the better bands of the 90's for sure. They were really underrated IMO. I like all their albums, but the best is probably Melancholy And The Infinite Sadness.

Today is by far my favorite song though. I love that song and it's high-low structure.

I missed smashing pumpkins being born in the 90s. Enjoy quite a few of their songs.

Mellon collie... I'll be honest never listened to anything else. Really never knew there were other albums.

i fell in love with them when melancholy came out. obvi siamese dream has great cover to cover. pisces iscariot is fantastic too. i kinda stopped after melancholy. and it doesn’t help that corgan seems like an insufferable a-hole.

MCAIS is legendary. It’s one of the greatest albums and double albums of all time. I truly believe that.

Mellon Collie for me is my favorite. Just so many gems on both albums! Siamese Dream close second, love Disarm.🎼 And to echo our Scotland golfing brother Jimmy Chamberlain belongs up there on the ranks of best drummers! Truly underrated.

SD and MCAIS are the two obvious ones, a little different but peak Smashing Pumpkins both. If you like those check out one of Corgan's side projeects Zwan (Mary Star of the Sea) which IMO was really good.

Yep, big fan. Mello Collie was an absolute rock materpeice.

What’s yours?

Personal favorite honestly is a toss-up between Adore and MATIS. MATIS is clearly the better album, but Adore was the album that I got first so I have more memories with it.

When Spin magazine did their "90 best albums of the 90s" they chose only one Pumpkins album for their list, and it wasn't Melancholy. Guess which one...Siamese Dream. If you listen to it, it's actually a more cohesive-sounding album that Melancholy. That said, the audaciousness of the double album and the massive success of it should really give it the nudge over SD on most lists, IMO.

Personal favorite honestly is a toss-up between Adore and MATIS. MATIS is clearly the better album, but Adore was the album that I got first so I have more memories with it.

When Spin magazine did their "90 best albums of the 90s" they chose only one Pumpkins album for their list, and it wasn't Melancholy. Guess which one...Siamese Dream. If you listen to it, it's actually a more cohesive-sounding album that Melancholy. That said, the audaciousness of the double album and the massive success of it should really give it the nudge over SD on most lists, IMO.

sd is absolutely more cohesive. melancholy is all over the place, but in a really good way. and melancholy has some pretty blah songs imho. I still love so many songs on the album, but it's not one of those albums i'll listen to cover to cover.

I saw them at Summerfest after Adore was released so that album is high on my list, but I don't know if anything will ever top Siamese Dream for me. That album top to bottom is the best in my opinion.

A good friend of mine grew up in Chicago. He knew Space boy.

Strange fact.....Gish fueled my PhD thesis. For some reason I would go into a little writing trance and the words would flow. So this album on infinite repeat got me through the marathon of writing a thesis in 1.5 months.

listening to Siamese Dream, thank you to Spotify. Had to check it out...

Duh... Cherub Rock first song... great stuff. Just didnt know the album.

sd is absolutely more cohesive. melancholy is all over the place, but in a really good way. and melancholy has some pretty blah songs imho. I still love so many songs on the album, but it's not one of those albums i'll listen to cover to cover.

I do think there are some stinkers on Melancholy. There are actually two styles on the album to me, too. A hard, almost heavy metal, and a softer more alternative sounding rock.

Big fan. I just recently bought some Fender Lace Sensor pickups to put in my strat to get a sound closer to the early SP albums.

I completely agree with this...

I'm going Siamese Dream purely for that instant hit of adrenaline that Cherub Rock was. The sheer wall of fuzz on the guitars, and of course Jimmy Chamberlain is just an absolute monster on the drum kit, one of the finest drummers ever in my opinion. I still play the album regularly now, to me Soma is the very pinnacle of 90s alternative rock.

Could not have said it any better. Siamese Dream to me is probably one of the greatest Albums in all of 1990 in my HUMBLE opinion. I know people will say one from Nirvana, I was just never a fan of there's. I felt like SP, AiC, and Soundgarden were far superior bands.

But every time I play SD and its usually once a year, I get some really good headphones, a nice cold beer, and just enjoy the ride. From Cherub to Luna it is all fantastic, and it always surprises me on how great it stands the test of time.

Back