The Subway Challenge - Could You Do It?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
GG and I got to talking the other day about 2014 and our travels. We talked about the weight loss challenge we did this year and how great it was, except when we hit the road in the THP Tour Van and are constantly on the go with the traveling. Fortunately neither one of us are extremely overweight or out of shape, but we want to continue to stay healthy(ish) for the rest of our lives.

So at the same time as this discussion was taking place, I was reading an article about that Jared guy from Subway. How it started, how it went and what he went through and I turned to GG and said "I could do that". I mean how much easier would it be to know what you were eating, having plentiful choices and also being able to watch your calories? She kind of laughed at me (she does this often on the road), but agreed it could be something that would be an easy way to watch what you eat and stay healthy on the road. Cost wise its not a bad alternative on the road, that is for sure.

So the question I have, is could you do it? Let's take a made up number of time and say 180 days (6 months). Could you eat Subway for lunch and dinner every single meal 7 days a week? Could you do it with their healthier menu items? Eliminating cheese, oil and mayo (for the most part)?

I think I might be able to.. I dont think it is fiscally smart for me, but I enjoy sandwiches quite a bit, and I think just maybe I could

I could not do it. I am not a huge subway fan, so I think I would get tired of it after 3 or 4 days. I would hate bread come the end of the challenge, and once you hate bread, there is no turning back.

I would honestly want to kill myself. I think I'd dry heave after the third day. I'm not a huge Subway fan to start with and the healthier options are the ones I hate the most.

I'm out.

index.php

• Admin
I think I might be able to.. I dont think it is fiscally smart for me, but I enjoy sandwiches quite a bit, and I think just maybe I could

I would agree with you TH. I did some number crunching and it definitely came out in favor of doing it for the two of us while on the road. In fact so much so that it was a bit scary, because clearly we are spending too much on food, that is for sure.

Good god, no. Their meat is absolutely terrible. I guess living in NJ all my life I am spoiled by actual delis and sub shops.

Do they have a chipotle chicken sandwich? hah!

I don't think I could. I'd rather eat steamed veggies than the same sandwiches over and over and over again.

Yes, I could. I am all too familiar with eating the same foods for days on end.

I would honestly want to kill myself. I think I'd dry heave after the third day. I'm not a huge Subway fan to start with and the healthier options are the ones I hate the most.

index.php

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm out!

I couldn't do it. I am on the road 5 days a week and eat subway 2-3 times a week for lunch. For some reason lunch is fine but the thought of going back for dinner is not appealing.

I don't think I could do it. It is kind of like the Atkins diet or others similar where you have to get rid of soemthing you have always ate. I could be good without the mayo and cheese, but I know I would be craving a pizza or steak during that time.

I could not for the simple fact that I couldn't resist all the additional toppings and sauce that could up the calories and defeat the purpose.

Good god, no. Their meat is absolutely terrible. I guess living in NJ all my life I am spoiled by actual delis and sub shops.

Good food is all around, but when you are in a Tour Van for days on end, it comes down to having time and energy to find healthier alternatives.

I would agree with you TH. I did some number crunching and it definitely came out in favor of doing it for the two of us while on the road. In fact so much so that it was a bit scary, because clearly we are spending too much on food, that is for sure.

Well certainly it is different in your situation because on the road you are having to eat out, but I can make probably 6-7 sandwiches at home for what I pay for one at Subway

I don't know if it would be that hard really. A lot of variety.

I think I could JB but would have to throw in a 'cheat' meal once a week.

Could do it. I eat Subway a fair amount now because it's only a block away. I eat the healthier choices now. The only thing I would have to eliminate is cheese really. Think it would be fun to do if it wasn't so expensive to do.

I tried it for about 3 weeks when I was on the road for work. It was tougher than I thought, but the good thing was Subway is pretty much everywhere. I was ok with eliminating mayo and oil. The cheese was the tough part for me. I ate a lot of 6" subway clubs and turkey/ham with the raspberry vinaigrette dressing on it. I got sick of subs fast, but with being on the road it was a healthier alternative. That was also when they had the wraps, so I used to do them too.

We have a subway in my building and when I forget to bring a lunch I usually go there. The salads they make now are huge and aren't bad.

I could not do it! I would hate subway after 2 weeks. I already hate the fact that they treat their meat like its gold

I tried it for about 3 weeks when I was on the road for work. It was tougher than I thought, but the good thing was Subway is pretty much everywhere. I was ok with eliminating mayo and oil. The cheese was the tough part for me. I ate a lot of 6" subway clubs and turkey/ham with the raspberry vinaigrette dressing on it. I got sick of subs fast, but with being on the road it was a healthier alternative. That was also when they had the wraps, so I used to do them too.

We have a subway in my building and when I forget to bring a lunch I usually go there. The salads they make now are huge and aren't bad.

I was just looking over the menu and got to thinking that there is a good bit of options that are decently healthy that could keep me interested. I mean if one does not like the food, or does not like healthier options than there is no getting around it, but for me, wanting to do both, and do so on a budget, I think I could do it.

It would be very tough as I really like variety in my food, it is very hard to name a food I don't like. Having said that I would have to go with no, not because I could not do it, but because I would not want to do it.

I could not do it! I would hate subway after 2 weeks. I already hate the fact that they treat their meat like its gold

Wait, dont you? Haha

I dont think I could do it. I would get sick of it pretty quickly not to mention the money aspect of it.

They give us plenty out west

Good food is all around, but when you are in a Tour Van for days on end, it comes down to having time and energy to find healthier alternatives.

Understood. It is definitely "healthier" than most other fast food places, but I think with a bit of effort you could eat even better food on a similar budget. It would really be about decreasing your meal size and having more intermittent snacks that provide vital nutrients and curb your hunger as to not create huge cravings which lead to overeating during standard meal times.

I could probably do it for lunch, but not for supper. I use to be really overweight (even more so than I am now) and ate the same thing for lunch for months on end. Supper varied during that time frame though. I went from 270 pounds down to 180 doing that and exercising.

Back