The Subway Challenge - Could You Do It?

Guys I do not disagree about the cost when comparing it to eating at home. However the reason for us doing this is we are forced to eat out (generally speaking) while on the road already, so for us, the cost is many times quite a savings by choosing Subway over another brand.

I can see that for sure. When it comes to options on the road, it's great value. In the States you guys are even luckier because they run the $5 footlongs and what not all the time, which we don't get here.

No way. I would be able to if I could eat anything, but cutting out the unhealthy stuff? Lame. I could never go that long without eating something delicious.

probably not.
even though my goto sub at Subway is fairly healthy, i don't think i could eat it without the cheese and mayo.

also....i believe Jared rode his bike to and from Subway every day to aid in losing all that weight

Not a chance. Subway is disgusting, processed-tasting meat, in my opinion. I may be alone on this, but I like good food better than being in good shape...I'll hardcore exercise before I ever diet.

probably not.
even though my goto sub at Subway is fairly healthy, i don't think i could eat it without the cheese and mayo.

also....i believe Jared rode his bike to and from Subway every day to aid in losing all that weight

I believe he walked there and back. Something like a total of 4 or 5 miles.

Not a chance. Subway is disgusting, processed-tasting meat, in my opinion. I may be alone on this, but I like good food better than being in good shape...I'll hardcore exercise before I ever diet.

The two go hand in hand, actually.

YOu can hardcore exercise all you want, but without a decent diet, it's all for nothing.

I think I read the same article the other day. I almost do this now as my son is OBSESSED with Subway, which is a good and bad thing considering the other fast food choices out there. In the article I read, he had a turkey sandwich every day for lunch and a veggie (aka a salad sandwich) for dinner and had to physically hold himself to the chair at night so he wouldn't order a pizza. While I commend Jared for his weight loss and continued maintenance of a healthy weight, there is a reason he no longer eats Subway twice a day even though he has a black card to eat it for free for the rest of his life. Subway can be healthy in a pinch when on the road, and certainly better than Mc D's or BK, but can't be a long-term substitute for real food.

Nope, couldn't do it. I eat plenty of sub sandwiches, and I stick with reduced calorie mayo and eat it with turkey and I leave the bacon off. But I can't give up the cheese. I'm sorry, but swiss cheese is just too good.

Also, it gets old real fast eating sub sandwiches multiple days a week. The only reason I keep doing it is because the only other alternative is fried food.

~Rock

I think I read the same article the other day. I almost do this now as my son is OBSESSED with Subway, which is a good and bad thing considering the other fast food choices out there. In the article I read, he had a turkey sandwich every day for lunch and a veggie (aka a salad sandwich) for dinner and had to physically hold himself to the chair at night so he wouldn't order a pizza. While I commend Jared for his weight loss and continued maintenance of a healthy weight, there is a reason he no longer eats Subway twice a day even though he has a black card to eat it for free for the rest of his life. Subway can be healthy in a pinch when on the road, and certainly better than Mc D's or BK, but can't be a long-term substitute for real food.

That was the one. I think I read that he still does eat it 3-4 meals a week though. I also agree that I dont think I could do it forever, because I love traveling and love exploring the food of different regions. However being on the road, the cost and health advantages are starting to look decent and GG is all for it.

There is just no way I could do it. Forget whether or not I would get tired of the food (I would). I think that having to go to the same place twice a day to wait in line for a sandwich would drive me nuts.

That was the one. I think I read that he still does eat it 3-4 meals a week though. I also agree that I dont think I could do it forever, because I love traveling and love exploring the food of different regions. However being on the road, the cost and health advantages are starting to look decent and GG is all for it.

When looking at other quick and easy options when on the road, Subway definitely makes sense. Also, tell them to rip the inside of the bread out a bit, cuts down on carbs.

When looking at other quick and easy options when on the road, Subway definitely makes sense. Also, tell them to rip the inside of the bread out a bit, cuts down on carbs.

I remember that girl on the biggest loser going in and asking for them to do that. I always felt weird about asking

I remember that girl on the biggest loser going in and asking for them to do that. I always felt weird about asking

Thats where I got the idea from. Or I just order the flatbread.

When on the road I always look for a Place with a subway as a healthier alternative for a lunch or rest area dinner, but to do the Jared diet in everyday life isn't practical. They have a decent rewards card program too the generate points towards free subs. With how much we eat subway (lunch during work & quick dinner on nights my son has sports) I average at least 1 free foot long sub a month.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

The two go hand in hand, actually.

YOu can hardcore exercise all you want, but without a decent diet, it's all for nothing.

Don't want to make a blanket statement here, but in my case, this isn't true. I did Insanity for the entire 60 days, but didn't change my diet (I don't eat much fast food, but still ate a good amount of home fried goodness), and lost 20 pounds and was in the best shape I'd been in in 15 years - since high school.

Absolutely, positively, very very easily..... In Canada.

The USA on the other hand is absolutely disgusting. The quality difference is absolutely shocking.

Don't want to make a blanket statement here, but in my case, this isn't true. I did Insanity for the entire 60 days, but didn't change my diet (I don't eat much fast food, but still ate a good amount of home fried goodness), and lost 20 pounds and was in the best shape I'd been in in 15 years - since high school.

How do you know that you would not have lost more or been in better shape had you changed the diet. Im not an expert in the field, but I know War Eagle spends his days working with incredible dieticians and the like and just went through his own major transformation that was nothing short of miraculous.

Thats where I got the idea from. Or I just order the flatbread.

The flatbread is so good. I can't order anything else now.

Absolutely, positively, very very easily..... In Canada.

The USA on the other hand is absolutely disgusting. The quality difference is absolutely shocking.

Really? I've never had it in the States, usually go to the places that we don't have. Will keep that in mind though.

I don't think I could it. I'm a pretty picky eater and I'm afraid I would just order the same thing day after day and get tired of it.

JB, check out an app called Lose It. It's a real easy way to track your calories and depending on what your goal is (lose weight, stay the same), it will give you a calorie budget for each day.

I switched to eating Subway as my work-day lunch about 6 months ago. I have found as I go along though, I have switched to double cheese on everything, and usually pretty liberal with the sauce (I could only eat so many turkey/ham/veggie subs). Usually I do Subway at least 3-4 times a week (out of 5).

Pros: I feel less sluggish during the afternoons. After eliminating onions from the subs I have felt even better.

Cons: It can be pretty costly. Up here in Canada, you are looking at 3.75 for a basic sub, up to like 6 bucks for a premium (all 6 inch sizes). In the states I see that is usually more economical. Quality up here varies from location to location. Out of 3 Subways I frequent in our town, 1 almost always has over-cooked bread, another has the rudest staff imaginable (imagine the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld only with Subs), and another is so far out of the way its not worth the drive.

I usually just grab a fountain drink and cookies as well..... not at all a healthy choice, but it feeds my sweets and caffeine addiction too.

My wife and I did this for a month just to test it out and try a new thing. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to do it for six months though. We are typically later eaters so we split the meal up by having a six inch around noon, a six inch around 5, and a six inch around 7. We only drank water as well to avoid drinking in calories. Overall we each ate about 1500 calories a day. Early on there is definitely enough choices to keep you satisfied, but after about two weeks just about every sandwich starts tasting the same. Why? Because of the vegetables and bread. A lot of options, but unfortunately for a huge carnivore like myself, there is not enough taste differences between lettuce, spinach, tomato, etc and without the help of adding different dressings like mayo, oil, etc it definitely started to lose its luster. This helped us lose the winter weight we put on which was kind of the goal, but honestly as we got towards the end of the month we really started to lose energy. We had to increase our total calorie and vitamin intake. So we added some healthy alternatives like fruit which helped us get through the remainder of the month. Probably could have made it 2 months by mixing in light mayo or small amounts of other dressings but could not have done it for 6 months with the sandwiches as our main meals for every meal 7 days a week.

My initial reaction was "No freaking way, I can't even bring myself to eat Subway on rare occasions."

Then I thought that I would get bored with it way too easily.

And then I remembered that get pretty much the same thing at our cafeteria at work every day I'm there, so like 4 days a week. I might be able to do it.

How do you know that you would not have lost more or been in better shape had you changed the diet. Im not an expert in the field, but I know War Eagle spends his days working with incredible dieticians and the like and just went through his own major transformation that was nothing short of miraculous.

Definitely possibly that I could've had better results. I won't dispute that at all. All I was saying was that I would rather exercise and be in the shape that I achieved while still enjoying the foods I love, rather then dieting (and exercising) to achieve relatively slightly better physical results. I admire people that have the will power to give up delicious foods, but I am not one of them.

I don't think I could it. I'm a pretty picky eater and I'm afraid I would just order the same thing day after day and get tired of it.

JB, check out an app called Lose It. It's a real easy way to track your calories and depending on what your goal is (lose weight, stay the same), it will give you a calorie budget for each day.

I have all those buddy. Its pretty heavily talked about in the Biggest Loser Thread. I am not a huge counter however, because I dont have to lose a ton of weight. The issue for me is putting weight on while on the road and being on the roads for multiple weeks at a time.

JB,

How strongly are you considering doing this?

Back