The Technology Thread (Computers, Home and Enterprise Networking, Etc.)

chris311fan

Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
Hi all!

I didn't see a thread that encompassed modern technology, technology discussions or computing/networking questions in general, so I figured I'd start one up, just to see if anyone was in the field, or had any questions or concerns. I can do my best to assist THPer's with their technological woes. As for some background, I work in IT Security for a large Sheriff's Office in Florida, and have almost 10 years of experience in IT, with a few of those years in Computer Engineering, a few in Networking, and most recently, a few in IT Security. If I don't know about something, chances are I can point you in the right direction to a resource or website that does. Hopefully this thread will bring on some neat discussions or resolve some issues THPers' may or may not be having. Have a good day all!

Welcome to THP!!

I have over 40 years experience in I.T. When I started it was called Data Processing with punched cards and 9 track tapes.

Technology has come a long way in 40 years. Even though I am retired, I still deal with friends and family computer issues. It never ends.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!!

I have over 40 years experience in I.T. When I started it was called Data Processing with punched cards and 9 track tapes.

Technology has come a long way in 40 years. Even though I am retired, I still deal with friends and family computer issues. It never ends.

J-Pin,

Thanks! yeah, before the passion became a career, I was "that guy we can call to resolve these 1 off issues with our computers, phones, printers, etc."

Now I have a few solid clients of side business that I help out outside of work hours. I am sort of "fresh blood" on the enterprise side of things, ESPECIALLY compared to 40 years! congratulations on your retirement. Technology is truly amazing. I remember from ages 5-18 I wanted to be a lawyer. Then, I got a laptop for College, after getting a desktop and tweaking it for my 14th Birthday. In retrospect, the career change was one of my best decisions, and I don't get a lot of those!

-Chris

J-Pin,

Thanks! yeah, before the passion became a career, I was "that guy we can call to resolve these 1 off issues with our computers, phones, printers, etc."

Now I have a few solid clients of side business that I help out outside of work hours. I am sort of "fresh blood" on the enterprise side of things, ESPECIALLY compared to 40 years! congratulations on your retirement. Technology is truly amazing. I remember from ages 5-18 I wanted to be a lawyer. Then, I got a laptop for College, after getting a desktop and tweaking it for my 14th Birthday. In retrospect, the career change was one of my best decisions, and I don't get a lot of those!

-Chris

I was going in the direction of a Forestry carrer until my brothers convinced me to head toward technology. In retrospect I wish I had stayed in the Foestry world but the Technology career wasn't so bad.

Technology has advanced our world beyond my expectation. To come from punched cards to mobile phones and tablets is amazing. To think our computers from the 60's and 70's took up a whole room to a handheld device. Mind blowing!!

I was going in the direction of a Forestry carrer until my brothers convinced me to head toward technology. In retrospect I wish I had stayed in the Foestry world but the Technology career wasn't so bad.

Technology has advanced our world beyond my expectation. To come from punched cards to mobile phones and tablets is amazing. To think our computers from the 60's and 70's took up a whole room to a handheld device. Mind blowing!!

Oh wow that's a heck of a Change. That's interesting! I love hearing all the different walks of life from technologists. At least now in your retirement you can enjoy the forestry around you while using technology, assuming you live somewhere that it's possie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been doing enterprise IT for 8 years now. The hours suck and I don’t like the specialization. I’m slowly shifting my focus towards automation because there is nothing more boring than switches and policies. That is one of the upsides to Enterprise. There’s always places to go and new things to do.

Oh wow that's a heck of a Change. That's interesting! I love hearing all the different walks of life from technologists. At least now in your retirement you can enjoy the forestry around you while using technology, assuming you live somewhere that it's possie.

I live in the foothills in North Cal, so we do have some trees. More up the the hill. Maybe be moving to Montana in next few years. Tress and snow!!

John

I’ve been doing enterprise IT for 8 years now. The hours suck and I don’t like the specialization. I’m slowly shifting my focus towards automation because there is nothing more boring than switches and policies. That is one of the upsides to Enterprise. There’s always places to go and new things to do.

I hated programming but loved managing, so I got in management and never looked back. I probably have more years in management than programming and hardware maintenace.

Yeah, the 24x7 on call is messy if you're a sysadmin or a network admin...luckily I got out of that so I'm blamed for everything DURING the Workday, but don't get bugged after hours (mostly). Automation and big data seem to be the next bubbles for sure. Amazon and IBM doing some great things in those arenas

I hated programming but loved managing, so I got in management and never looked back. I probably have more years in management than programming and hardware maintenace.

Takes all kinds. I work in IT because I don’t like dealing with people. Managing people is my worst nightmare. ?

I wouldnt mind management, but I would want a few more years in this capacity, then security manager, then CISO or CIO.. that would be my goal. I'm looking at 3 certifications this calendar year, and hopefully a completed CISSP by 2020.

I've been in the IT/cyber field for about 10 years in the Army. I've got several CompTIA certs, I'm a CEH, and I dabble in Cisco IOS and networking. I used to teach computer systems maintainers in the Army how to use the Cisco IOS, along with subnetting and other elements essential to network construction and maintenance.

I don't like computers that much.

I've been in the IT/cyber field for about 10 years in the Army. I've got several CompTIA certs, I'm a CEH, and I dabble in Cisco IOS and networking. I used to teach computer systems maintainers in the Army how to use the Cisco IOS, along with subnetting and other elements essential to programming.

I don't like computers that much.
That's awesome. The CEH is an industry standard for my line of work. ISC2 runs some great certs. Cisco iOS is a great one to have under your belt. Brocade is a nightmare and has tons of issues. But it's all about whether management and purchasing are all in on your program or not. Lots like to cut cost and corners and go brocade.

I spent almost 40 years in IT before I retired in 2016. In the beginning I loved it. It was creative, and I felt that we were doing important things, and providing advantages for our company.

The last 10 years were horrible. Instead of getting requirements, we were presented with solutions and when they didn't perform up to expectations, we took the blame. Somehow IT became the enemy of the end users. Plus as I got older, I really despised the oncall requirement.

I really don't miss it at all.

We really don't have anything fancy at home. I run a secured network with a Netgear router and Apple products. We have an iMac, a Power book, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and a networked printer. Everything works well together and satisfies our needs. Having access to fiber optic Internet access is fabulous.

I got into computers in the 80s. Worked for a bank on some of the first ATMs. Later I worked with the early PCs, TRS 80 (aka Trash 80) and Apple IIe. Most of the IT guys didn't want to work with the PCs, so it became my specialty. I created small applications using dbase and later Access. Worked independently for a while.
Joined a large corporation and let them train me. Ended up as a Systems Project Manger (the ultimate in herding cats jobs) and an MBA in Technology Management. It's been a good career but I'm glad I'm now retired.

I spent almost 40 years in IT before I retired in 2016. In the beginning I loved it. It was creative, and I felt that we were doing important things, and providing advantages for our company.

The last 10 years were horrible. Instead of getting requirements, we were presented with solutions and when they didn't perform up to expectations, we took the blame. Somehow IT became the enemy of the end users. Plus as I got older, I really despised the oncall requirement.

I really don't miss it at all.

We really don't have anything fancy at home. I run a secured network with a Netgear router and Apple products. We have an iMac, a Power book, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and a networked printer. Everything works well together and satisfies our needs. Having access to fiber optic Internet access is fabulous.
Being that im relatively new to the industry, I can't even imagine having the desire to retire. But Father Time is undefeated and literally everyone I've spoken with shares your story. It's fun until it's not fun. Then, you hang up your hat and live the life you earned for your service to the industry. Truly fascinating that IT became the enemy. I see glimpses of it in some places but generally if management and ownership back you, you're safe. That's a tough uphill battle otherwise.

I got into computers in the 80s. Worked for a bank on some of the first ATMs. Later I worked with the early PCs, TRS 80 (aka Trash 80) and Apple IIe. Most of the IT guys didn't want to work with the PCs, so it became my specialty. I created small applications using dbase and later Access. Worked independently for a while.
Joined a large corporation and let them train me. Ended up as a Systems Project Manger (the ultimate in herding cats jobs) and an MBA in Technology Management. It's been a good career but I'm glad I'm now retired.
Yeah I always say "my ascension in this industry is catalyzed by the incompetence around me" when someone doesn't want to complete a task or take up a specialization, I fill that need in a hurry
It shows value and initiative. It's cool that you made the jump to program management, that field desperately needs technical people

Been in IT for 30 years and Consumer Electronics before that.
If I was younger I would have to embrace social media much more than I do now.
My only effort now is on the forums of my interest and LinkedIn.
I despise Facebook, Twatter and all of that (do not and will not use it) but for many businesses it is a important factor.
Unfortunately, about to retire so no need to embrace it.
I'm good with an ordinary flip phone but I use a smartphone.

Back