The THP Invitational Golf Tournaments

Match play would limit the number of players verse stroke play by quite a bit, right?

Match play would limit the number of players verse stroke play by quite a bit, right?

I don't think it would be that prohibitive. Anything could happen when you're playing a person heads up, whereas stroke play you're playing the field and a bad round or blow up hole could be lethal.

So what are we thinking, matchplay, stroke play, flighted, etc etc? I like matchplay but a flighted stroke play would be freaking cool, yet logistically a nightmare.

I would love for it to be match play.

I know it's golf and the way it is, but I really do hate when a few holes blows up an entire round during stroke play.

Match play is more exciting to me.

I don't think it would be that prohibitive. Anything could happen when you're playing a person heads up, whereas stroke play you're playing the field and a bad round or blow up hole could be lethal.

But the problem with match play is you have to use a playoff-style bracket, right? You can't just have one-or-two rounds and determine a champion like you can with stroke play. Of course in stroke play you have the perhaps bigger potential problem of handicap sandbagging.

Michigan simply won't work... not enough THPers. How about Chicago or Indianapolis?

While Indy is very central and fairly cheap to.fly in and out of, I don't feel their is a very large number of active THP'ers here. I can think of only two in Indy and only about 5 or 6 others in rest of the state. While we are all great Indiana THP'ers just not many here.

+1 for this idea!

Like these events are for people with handicaps over 18. You guys under 18 have the MC, the hackers will have the these events. :alien:

But the problem with match play is you have to use a playoff-style bracket, right? You can't just have one-or-two rounds and determine a champion like you can with stroke play. Of course in stroke play you have the perhaps bigger potential problem of handicap sandbagging.

I dunno, maybe it's a team aspect like two man team match play or something. I'm just spit balling though cause it's fun.

I like that SW! Hoping someone from NC would want to team with me. I'm high maintenance

I dunno, maybe it's a team aspect like two man team match play or something. I'm just spit balling though cause it's fun.

Kinda lIke a 4man Ryder Cup scenarIo?

I like that SW! Hoping someone from NC would want to team with me. I'm high maintenance

You and Frank the Shrank would be lethal. He'd hit em up with some psychological mumbo-jumbo then you would fairway and green them to submission. /competition

You and Frank the Shrank would be lethal. He'd hit em up with some psychological mumbo-jumbo then you would fairway and green them to submission. /competition

Man that would be lethal. I played with Frank Saturday and he gets in your head like no one else

While Indy is very central and fairly cheap to.fly in and out of, I don't feel their is a very large number of active THP'ers here. I can think of only two in Indy and only about 5 or 6 others in rest of the state. While we are all great Indiana THP'ers just not many here.

Cincinatti. Not too far for Michigan guys, close to Indiana, KY and TN guys are close, and lots of Ohio THPers.

I am in agreement with Lucas, I am really chomping at the bit for details on the Invitational. I know we all are looking forward to a possible invite to play with other THPers in a great tournament. Anything within in 8 hours and I would be all over it for sure.

Michigan simply won't work... not enough THPers. How about Chicago or Indianapolis?

Agreed. Chicago would be awesome (and yes... it is within 10 miles of my door). Indeed, Golf Digest recently noted that they "rank it No. 1 in the nation for the number and quality of its public courses." Of course, Chicago is a no-go during the winter months.

I am in agreement with Lucas, I am really chomping at the bit for details on the Invitational. I know we all are looking forward to a possible invite to play with other THPers in a great tournament. Anything within in 8 hours and I would be all over it for sure.

Same here. If it's during the school year, anywhere I can get a ride to and I'm in. During the summer, anywhere within a day's drive and I'm in.

Im hoping to get a chance to throw my hat in the ring. Very interested in hearing more details. I have cleared my inbox just in case you feel like discussing lol

Chunky will get back to you in a couple of weeks, hahaha.

Agreed. Chicago would be awesome (and yes... it is within 10 miles of my door). Indeed, Golf Digest recently noted that they "rank it No. 1 in the nation for the number and quality of its public courses." Of course, Chicago is a no-go during the winter months.

I'm all for chicago and everything, and I'd certainly make the trip, but seriously, Chicago traffic is awful, so I'd hope the course chosen would be somewhere on the outskirts. I don't really want to have to drag my clubs onto one of those trains just to move around quicker.

~Rock

I know this may or may not have been discussed, but what about 9-hole matches? They can be flighted and run off of a points system, but also makes it easy enough that an entire tournament can be finished in one day. If THP is looking for a 2 day thing (or even a 1 day, 1 morning thing), the next morning could be the finals and they could be back in the Tour Van off to the next invitational by 2 or 3 in the afternoon!

I like that Thainer, heck you can do a lot of 9 hole rounds quickly.

So now that the tour van is parked for a while, might we be hearing more news about this in the near future?

I'm all for chicago and everything, and I'd certainly make the trip, but seriously, Chicago traffic is awful, so I'd hope the course chosen would be somewhere on the outskirts. I don't really want to have to drag my clubs onto one of those trains just to move around quicker.

~Rock

Some of the best courses are on the outskirts. Pine Meadow is an amazing course just north of Chicago in Mundelein, and Cog Hill is just south of it in Lemont I believe. Easy to avoid traffic and get to those courses. 4 great courses at Cog make it a great location for a THP event!

I will say this took a couple steps in the right direction over the weekend.

I will say this took a couple steps in the right direction over the weekend.

I agree, really excited to hear the details on how all of this is going to play out!

Back