Status
Not open for further replies.

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
I know there are a handful of threads devoted to range time, drills, practice, etc, but I wanted to start a new thread to encompass them all. Hopefully this thread can serve for all of those in one; Drills you are working on, how you are doing with range sessions, areas of your game you are focusing on and what not.

A lot of THPers are in the middle of Winter, and a lot are working on different drills indoors to get their game to where they want it to be for the upcoming Golf season. Others are still playing golf and fine tuning their game to keep on their path of improvement.

So, with that, I figure we can have a place to talk about practice time, short game sessions, putting work, and everything else we do to improve our game on the course.

Great thread War, as one of those guys stuck inside for the most part, I welcome any easy to do drills you guys are doing to keep the game dialed in. I also plan on taking some golftec lessons and will be sure to pass on any that they share as well

so is this the new What are you working on thread?

so is this the new What are you working on thread?
There are threads for drills/tips, range session, and what are you working on. Figured one spot to hold them all...perhaps?

I talk a lot, so be ready for some long and boring posts. It helps me rehash and get things sorted out in my head though.

Currently working on dialing in distances/lofts on the new irons I am testing for THP. I will be heading back out today or tomorrow and will focus on 5 different "green" targets in distances of 50, 75, 100, 125, 150yds and figure out the ball flight and swing needed to hit each one with my 7i-AW. I know that my AW is not going 150yds, but I need to dial in the scoring clubs before I head back out to the course on Sat AM.

I stumbled upon a discussion of the 9 to 3 drill in the SliceFixer thread. I realized I basically used to do that drill as my pre-shot routine before hitting irons, and that was a time when I hit my irons really well. No idea why I stopped. So I spent a little time doing it in the garage last night. I was pretty surprised to see how quickly it helped. I will keep working that drill and return it to my preshot routine.

Currently working on dialing in distances/lofts on the new irons I am testing for THP. I will be heading back out today or tomorrow and will focus on 5 different "green" targets in distances of 50, 75, 100, 125, 150yds and figure out the ball flight and swing needed to hit each one with my 7i-AW. I know that my AW is not going 150yds, but I need to dial in the scoring clubs before I head back out to the course on Sat AM.
Nice. I look forward to reading about your findings.

There are threads for drills/tips, range session, and what are you working on. Figured one spot to hold them all...perhaps?

works for me. Just want to make sure I know where to post all my stuff. Esp once MC Prep gets going.

I got SAMs Putt Lab set up in my apartment so guess what I'm doing?

I would say the biggest thing holding me back from getting better is my poor range sessions. I am only good for about 20-30 balls then I lose interest and am not really learning anything, or hitting the ball well. I just get bored. Hopefully I can pick up some things. I'm about to go now and I just dread it.

I would say the biggest thing holding me back from getting better is my poor range sessions. I am only good for about 20-30 balls then I lose interest and am not really learning anything, or hitting the ball well. I just get bored. Hopefully I can pick up some things. I'm about to go now and I just dread it.

Some folks here can attest to the fact that I am terrible on the range. My problem in the range is lack of focus and just hitting ball after ball without intent.

I actually like everything about the range, but paying for the bucket of balls. I really need to either just get a unlimited range pass, or figure out a way to get freebies.

My working goal over the winter is to work on putting and getting to under 30 putts per round, which will also require some short game work as well, need to turn those 8 footers for par into 3 footers.

I'll probably be in this thread quite a bit once last winter and spring comes around.

I'm still looking for a good indoor putting training regiment for the winter!

I'm still looking for a good indoor putting training regiment for the winter!

Do you have an indoor putting green? It's sounds really simplistic, but hitting 100 putts per day that are between 3-6 feet will help you get more consistent with your stroke, and will help your confidence when you get back outside.

I'm not going to the range today because the weather has gotten colder, but I hit 6 buckets of balls over the past 2 days at the range. Still working on a few things: taking the club back on plane and staying connected on the backswing, and also using less of my hands in my swing. I've always been pretty handsy with my swing, and I figured out that overactive wrists and hands were contributing to my very long backswing and my inconsistent ball striking. One of the feelings I'm trying to work on is not cocking my wrists at all in the backswing....think of Steve Stricker's swing and you have what I'm trying to feel like. Even when I don't feel like I'm doing anything with my wrists and hands, I still get a 90 degree angle between the clubshaft and my left forearm at the top of my swing when I do my "Stricker" swing. I also worked some on the 9-to-3 swing like tequila4kapp.

For me, this winter is all about making my swing more consistent and simpler in order to hit the center of the clubface more often. If that leads to a little more distance, that would be great, but my big focus is getting more accurate and not hitting as many "foul balls." Also, I'll be putting in some putting practice like last winter.

Some folks here can attest to the fact that I am terrible on the range. My problem in the range is lack of focus and just hitting ball after ball without intent.

I'm in the same boat. I go out there with some focus, but it fades very very quickly. I love warm up range sessions, and quick sessions after a round just to fix a flaw you didn't want to mess with during a round, but like I said anything over 30 balls and It's pointless.

I'm in the same boat. I go out there with some focus, but it fades very very quickly. I love warm up range sessions, and quick sessions after a round just to fix a flaw you didn't want to mess with during a round, but like I said anything over 30 balls and It's pointless.

Then make your range time one of two things: either target-related practice or swing-related practice. What I mean by that is you either pick out targets on the range and hit shots to them like you are out on the golf course (including your preshot routine), or you decide to work on something in your swing and forget about the results of the shots themselves. I'm focusing on the latter right now because I'm trying to change some things in my swing. When it is golf season up here, I'm much more likely to have shorter range sessions where I'm focusing on trying to hit the 150 yard flag or something like that.

Then make your range time one of two things: either target-related practice or swing-related practice. What I mean by that is you either pick out targets on the range and hit shots to them like you are out on the golf course (including your preshot routine), or you decide to work on something in your swing and forget about the results of the shots themselves. I'm focusing on the latter right now because I'm trying to change some things in my swing. When it is golf season up here, I'm much more likely to have shorter range sessions where I'm focusing on trying to hit the 150 yard flag or something like that.
A variation on the first suggestion is to pretend play a course during your driving range session. This gets you more engaged, makes you think and breaks up the boredom of just banging balls.

Do you have an indoor putting green? It's sounds really simplistic, but hitting 100 putts per day that are between 3-6 feet will help you get more consistent with your stroke, and will help your confidence when you get back outside.

I'm not going to the range today because the weather has gotten colder, but I hit 6 buckets of balls over the past 2 days at the range. Still working on a few things: taking the club back on plane and staying connected on the backswing, and also using less of my hands in my swing. I've always been pretty handsy with my swing, and I figured out that overactive wrists and hands were contributing to my very long backswing and my inconsistent ball striking. One of the feelings I'm trying to work on is not cocking my wrists at all in the backswing....think of Steve Stricker's swing and you have what I'm trying to feel like. Even when I don't feel like I'm doing anything with my wrists and hands, I still get a 90 degree angle between the clubshaft and my left forearm at the top of my swing when I do my "Stricker" swing. I also worked some on the 9-to-3 swing like tequila4kapp.

For me, this winter is all about making my swing more consistent and simpler in order to hit the center of the clubface more often. If that leads to a little more distance, that would be great, but my big focus is getting more accurate and not hitting as many "foul balls." Also, I'll be putting in some putting practice like last winter.
Thanks for the insight, I don't have a green yet, but have a strip of artificial green. I'm hoping to use it more!

Video taped my range session today and compared the first 10 swings with my last 10 of the day to see if there was any improvement. Check out the "hitch" in my first swing that causes me to come across the ball big time in the first shot. I slowed it down to make it more noticeable, but you can see it pretty well. The first swing in the video was #5 on the day. I was hitting the ball much better as the session went on, and you can tell by the second swing in the video, which was #93 during the session.

Video has been really helpful for me in diagnosing some problems and actually seeing whats happening. My MC Prep is in full swing. Second lesson will be next week.

Also, sorry about the thin video, had to stand my iPhone up in my cart bag for it to work.

Last edited:
I was definitely at the range in dress clothes as well. During my lunch, LOL.

Video taped my range session today and compared the first 10 swings with my last 10 of the day to see if there was any improvement. Check out the "hitch" in my first swing that causes me to come across the ball big time in the first shot. I slowed it down to make it more noticeable, but you can see it pretty well. The first swing in the video was #5 on the day. I was hitting the ball much better as the session went on, and you can tell by the second swing in the video, which was #93 during the session.

I recognize that problem Brad. Exact same thing I'm working on fixing. Too big a backswing, and early hip rotation on the downswing leading to an over-the-top move and an out-to-in club path. Pulled shot unless you can chicken-wing it to keep the clubface square at the last second. I'm really working on getting the swing going out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back