The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great lesson.
No tweaks with irons...was hitting them really well. Gotta get right shoulder through ball consistently and I'll be fine.

Then got some sand pointers and it looked like I knew what I was doing.
Playing lesson monday..2 range sessions before that and maybe a round.

I'm ready.

I love it Mike, confident Mike makes me happy.

I love it Mike, confident Mike makes me happy.
Yeah dude. Hearing him talk about how much better the swing is now than when we started was extremely gratifying

Yeah dude. Hearing him talk about how much better the swing is now than when we started was extremely gratifying

Always good to hear confirmation. Great to hear Mike!

Out grilling dinner, what better time than to take some practice swings in the yard?
ateresam.jpg

Same spot almost every night has killed a small patch of grass though...

Spent an enjoyable few hours at the course practicing. Range, short game area, practice bunker, and then the putting green. Worked on a few distances that needed attention and some tee shots. 30-55 yards with the wedges. New to me putter.

Another night at the range. Hit just irons and a 3 hybrid. Started with the PW and worked down to the 5 iron. Stopped and hit the 3h and then worked back from the 5 up to the PW. Have been at the range every night this week. Swing is starting to feel good again.

Spent an enjoyable few hours at the course practicing. Range, short game area, practice bunker, and then the putting green. Worked on a few distances that needed attention and some tee shots. 30-55 yards with the wedges. New to me putter.
How was the tee game?

Give or take 10-20 yards, so pretty much every time some of the time.

It'll be fun to see what type of shots I hit with the new driver. Should be interesting.

It'll be fun to see what type of shots I hit with the new driver. Should be interesting.
Mine will be bullets that role for miles

Adams CB3 testing time...good Lord are these forgiving compared to my CMBs. I look up expecting to see a short fat push and instead am greeted by a 5 yard fade only 10 yards shorter than I intended.

Oh and btw, they're LONG. Easily a whole club longer than my CMB's (predictably), but possibly even a little more.

ne2ahu2y.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Hit the range for about an hour tonight. Worked a lot on distance control shots with the wedges and trying to put a controlled swing on it with the other clubs. Had fun trying to hit fades, draws, hit it low and high. Driver isn't quite where I want it, but was hitting the 3 wood really well. The 3 wood is long enough so I know that if the driver is misbehaving in at the MC, I have a solid backup.

Feeling pretty good about my iron play. Nice session to have as I won't be able to play again until Monday or Tuesday.

Hit the range tonight and worked on a couple issues I've had in the past to keep them out of my swing.

Not hitting the ball and just swinging through made the ball go farther and straighter.

Tee game is still going well and I spent quite a bit of my bucket on 3wd off the deck, not a shot I need often but I'd like to have it for par 5's in two.

Used the indoor practice green and just the little tweak Cody from SeeMore made to my posture and stroke proved to pay off big time with more dropped putts and better misses.

Hoping I can get some practice in this weekend and get out to play next week

I've been struggling over the past month with hitting the ball fairly straight but short, like 1/2 club short with my irons and 10-20 yards shorter with my driver. I could feel with my irons that I wasn't really compressing the ball, and thought that I was flipping a slight bit at impact. Well, I think that with 2 buckets tonight, I figured out some of what was going on.

First of all, I worked with a slightly stronger grip....it felt weird at times, but it was easier to get the clubface squared up at impact. The other thing that I figured out is that my backswing was starting to get very arm-dominated in an attempt to get steeper, but I wasn't really turning my body. So I focused on turning my front shoulder away from the ball and stopping my backswing when my front shoulder got under my chin. When I did that, I was getting a really good ballflight with my wedges and my 8-iron. Anything from a 6-iron and up was a little more challenging because with the longer clubs, my backswing still gets arm-dominated and flat, but it was encouraging. I also hit a bunch of drivers since I have a driver fitting on Monday and felt some of the speed come back into that club. Carry distances were hard to tell because it was at night, but the feel off of the clubface was better than it had been over the past month. I was pleased when I left the range tonight.

I had a "networking session" at the range today, which ended up being a free lesson. I met a vendor a few weeks back, we had lunch to discuss some opportunities and when he told me he used to be a club pro, I jokingly asked about fixing my occasional slice. We ended up getting together at a local range to talk business and referrals, and he gave me some majorly helpful tips.

First thing was weight shift, which has always been a problem. I let him know different things I've tried in the past, different thoughts and feelings, so he had me turning and loading my upper right thigh as a feeling, keeping the right knee bent, and firing from that side on the downswing. He wanted me to think about a good finish position, and work my way into it. After a while, I started doing better.

Next up was my lifting up on the downswing, he had me hitting punch shots and just keeping my head down the entire time, not looking at all where the ball was going. A bit more difficult for me to do that, I hit a lot of fat shots.

Finally, my shoulder alignment was WAY off. He had me pick a target then get into my stance, then put a club across my shoulders. I must've been pointed 30 yards left of the target, completely open. He pushed and moved me around so my shoulders were square, it felt like I was pointed 20 yards to the right, but when he put up a shaft and had me take a look, it was dead straight. My shots were ugly for a while, but definitely started to get better by the end.

I'm definitely going to have to go spend a few hours at the range this weekend to just work on those 3 things. Just getting that live feedback was beyond helpful to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rain stopped overnight so I got out in the soupy mess today with the high at 72 and walked 36 holes.

Range was closed and they were patching the putting/chipping green so I decided to just practice on the course instead, played 3-4 balls off of each tee from multiple tees and clubs to get a plethora of different looks. Also dropped in some different trouble locations and distances for me, even intentionally put myself into some situations that required the internal smart/not debate of taking my medicine or getting greedy, this made me put more emphasis on the next shot to help try and save whenever possible. Played from some traps, played from high and short rough, even played out of some divots in fairways.

Much more comfortable off the tee now that I got to rest up and my hands are healed, TURNING and trusting rather than throwing at the ball makes all the difference. I got so tired towards the end of last week with 126 holes played that I started trying to force things and save tired swings, days off were nice indeed. Best though were the hybrids, irons, and wedges...just extremely solid and I hit some really consistent shots.

Just a really really good day. Put my mind at ease entirely. I'm ready.

Went to my local goat track and didn't keep score, just dropped a few balls in different spots and just played around. Nice after a few days of range/short game grinding to just get out there and have fun trying to create different situations. Happy with my ball striking with my irons and wedges today, a little questionable with my woods, though. Had a few hooks with the driver that were just confusing. Overall, I'm pleased with what I'm seeing and will be putting it all out there in MB. A couple more range sessions and then I'm headed south!

Got some #thegauntlet prep in today

I had a great range session this afternoon followed by a lesson with my instructor. It will be the last lesson before the Morgan Cup, but not the last range session. I'll get a couple more of those in, and at least one round, before I leave for Myrtle. Range sessions have become a little shorter and a lot less like work since coming back from my neck injury. Actually, they've seemed to be more productive. So, there might be a lesson in there somewhere about how hard one needs to push it to really be effective. I know I've been having a lot more fun practicing lately, and the results seem to be coming easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back