The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to the range tonight for a so-so practice. Early on, focusing on my takeaway and extending to the target - I let my tempo get away from me.

About half way I got the tempo under control and really liked what I saw from there.

One thing I noticed, as I was reaching for the target, I found myself losing balance. Something I need to keep working on.

Towards the end, another guy and I started picking targets and seeing who was closest to the target. We ended up playing the game until it was pitch dark.. I won by the slimmest of margins. ;-)

Good session tonight mostly working on keeping the left arm connected at takeaway with a glove underneath the left arm pit. I felt a bit inside-out again on the downswing so I also worked on an OTT feeling to help get me back on plane. Funny how that makes the ball go dead straight. I finished the session with driver "stingers" which is a fun golf shot. Two hour lesson set up for Saturday and looking to create a lesson plan over the next 6 weeks. #theGauntletIsComing

Really thought I could strike the ball better after my round today, so I took to the range with my fellow Albatross brothers, and worked on trying not to drop my hands at the top, along with continuing my efforts to improve my swing path. There were a couple pieces of my swing that I really wanted to improve, and I think I accomplished them today during my session which really gets me fired up.

Love hitting the numbers I think I should be playing to. It's a great feeling.

Was at True Blue range after the team practice round with my Albatross brothers. Worked quite a bit on shortening the back swing. Seems i got a bit long, causing lots of issues. Mostly arms, no shoulder turn, then making hp for the lack of turn by sliding... Pretty good session overall but it got ugly before it got better. Now that i know what i am doing wrong, i will slow down and focus on turn

I've been having trouble out of the sand lately and am playing with the nor-cal crew tomorrow on a course that has plenty of beach to contend with. Made it to my course and practiced for about 30 minutes getting out of the bunker from various positions/lies. It was fun to open up the face and close it down on buried lies and get some bunker feel back!

When I go to the practice range, I take my own hitting mat. Range mats with solid hard rubber bases hurt my wrists on impact, plus my higher quality mat accepts regular tees and feels like hitting off grass.

Yes... those are JumboMax grips on my clubs. I still use them.

10465290_10152361858053401_5888201995031473082_o.jpg

I had to trips to the range this week. First was to get rough estimates for distances on my new TM TP CB's (3-PW). They are roughly 10 yards longer for me than the 712 AP2's I played before. I attribute it to going from S300 shafts to KBS Tour X, resulting in a slightly lower ball flight. The CB's are nice though, and so far I think they are a hair more forgiving than my AP2's were. I also tried my new TM TP wedges and loved them too. Though they didn't really feel any different than Vokey SM4's I played before. The same deg loft wedge is longer for me in the TP wedges, but again I went from an S200 shaft in my Vokeys to KBS Tour X in the TP wedges.

I also worked on the driver some. I have been struggling to just hit straight at a target since making some swing changes a month or two ago. I'm also not really getting along with the tee position the instructor is suggesting. I finally had success by aiming right of my target with a face intentionally set closed to the path to hit a push/draw back to my target. Misses resulted in a push that looked like they would be safe on the right side of a fairway or not too far into the rough. I had to move the tee forward to the left heel instead of back further like the instructor wanted to try.

The he second range trip was yesterday with my son to get him some practice in before first tee today. I was showing him that he could do the same thing with different clubs and get different results around the green. The only problem was, when I finished I tried to hit a few shots around the green with my 60* and was stinking it up. It was like I forgot how to chip longer distances.

I have a lesson tonight and I'm going to get there early to (hopefully) straighten out the short gam issues before the lesson starts. The lesson will focus on probably basic swing fundamentals with a 7 iron and then carrying those over to the driver.

Trying to fix the irons. Hit them all thin last night. Didn't kill me but I've been driving it awesome.

When I go to the practice range, I take my own hitting mat. Range mats with solid hard rubber bases hurt my wrists on impact, plus my higher quality mat accepts regular tees and feels like hitting off grass.

Yes... those are JumboMax grips on my clubs. I still use them.

10465290_10152361858053401_5888201995031473082_o.jpg

How do you carry that?

Taped my swing today at the range. Had been struggling with both my irons and driver losing everything to the right. I have an idea what I've been doing wrong but wanted to check it out on video. I think I've been coming over the top and swing across my body lately. Felt like I got my irons straightened out and the driver showed some improvement.

I've spent a little more time at the range this year than usual. I wouldn't say a lot of time, but sometimes on my way home I'll just stop at the range because I don't have time to play 9 holes. One thing I have learned this year...I am NOT a range golfer. I haven't been real happy with how I've hit the ball at the range most of the year, and I could hit it horribly one day at the range but once I get out on the course I have more focus and I could have one of the best days hitting the ball ever. I'm learning I need to just spend more time on the course instead of the range in order to continue to improve my game.

As far as chipping and putting, spending time on the greens DOES improve my short game. So most of my practice time now will be around the greens while I leave the full shots to the course.

45 minutes of putting on the practice green after work. Green was really slow but just focused on technique with a slight inside down the line stroke. Now working on flexibility with lower back and leg stretches. Range tomorrow night. #theGauntletIsComing

Found my terrific iron swing last week...for about 3 days before I had to watch my dad shank ball after ball on the range and it some how screwed up my swing. Then I played for 3 days straight and saw some good things and bad. But long irons were a big problem.

I have a lesson today, but I noticed that I hit the ball better when my hands stay close to my body, so long as the club doesn't lay off. I've heard that you shouldn't lift your arms more than you should be turning while getting your hands to the inside while getting your left shoulder down pointing towards the ball, but with the hands going inside, I'm concerned it gets easy to go OTT. Anyone have thoughts on this?

At any rate, I feel I'm close to a breakthrough, but am looking to groove a repeatable swing for my long irons and FW off the deck.

Went to the range today to try and get a little hair of the dog to work through how I feel about golf and my game after the Morgan cup. Focused mostly on irons and had some trouble fighting a hook that had also plagued me in Myrtle Beach. Took a little while to realize i was over cooking some adjustments, found a more relaxed address position, and I was off to the races.

I'll have a lot more thoughts as part of my overall thpmc recap feelings, which this range session, I realize now, plays into, but it felt good to know that, even though the event is over, the journey continues, and the trials and triumphs are mine to keep, and to share.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

My swing suddenly got funked. There's a hitch in it and I don't know where it came from. I was on such a great track to some really solid golf.

Tonight was somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-175 balls, almost all irons, and almost all 7 and wedges.

Worked on a long, straight left arm takeaway and staying centered and solid on the ball. Put it on a tee and I'm golden. Turf interaction is killing me.

I'm stumped. But I did hit some good balls tonight, and found something really solid on the short game irons.

The pins on our range are inside these steel pipes and I hit the one at 100 yards twice. It sounds like a church bell ringing when you hit it; it's cool.

Very frustrating at the range today. First time all year that I left the range feeling not just frustrated, but angry. Watching all of my progress from the past few weeks completely unravel for no apparent reason would be easier to deal with if it wasn't the second time this year I've had to go through it, not to mention the 3 or 4 times last year.

I'm trying to leave the days of shooting 120 behind me, but it just isn't happening. None of my progress has any permanency to it. I realize that for most golfers it's a two steps forward one step back kind of process, but this endless loop of two steps forward, two steps back is just getting old.

My game is awful right now. Hour on the range today tells me I need to get back to basics. I'd kill to have the swing I had at #TheKing again.

My game is awful right now. Hour on the range today tells me I need to get back to basics. I'd kill to have the swing I had at #TheKing again.
Thought about going back to the instructor for a touch up? Bet he could fix you up quick. You were swinging so sweet in Orlando.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Thought about going back to the instructor for a touch up? Bet he could fix you up quick. You were swinging so sweet in Orlando.

Yeah, I've got a couple more playing lessons left. I just don't feel comfortable over the ball at all. It'll get there, just need to put the work in.

Small bucket tonight on a deserted range. Mostly 9i and 5i, alternating back and forth every 5 balls or so. I hit 3-4 fat, and badly. Huge divot, ball died maybe 15 yards away. When I was able to get my weight forward, shots were decent with a nice small divot. I still need to work on that weight transfer though. Ended with 6 drivers, 2 went right and the rest were fairly straight.

Definitely planning on another lesson shortly.

Yeah, I've got a couple more playing lessons left. I just don't feel comfortable over the ball at all. It'll get there, just need to put the work in.

Does it feel any better with a shorter club like a wedge? There's nothing wrong with remembering the good feels with any particular club and then going from there. It doesn't need much of a spark to get the fire roaring again.

Got out tonight after work and played my first 9 since #THPMC. And holy cow I love my my new Cleveland/Srixon clubs. The irons just felt solid tonight and was finding GIR from 160 like it was nothing. Can't wait for the embargo date to come because these guys are pretty sweet. But tonight was finding fairways and greens and felt good about my game. Going to play another 9 tomorrow and with my friend Josh tomorrow night, so ill keep score and see what improvements I have made.

Does it feel any better with a shorter club like a wedge? There's nothing wrong with remembering the good feels with any particular club and then going from there. It doesn't need much of a spark to get the fire roaring again.

It's weird because I'm not struggling with the long irons as much. Contact with the short irons isn't terrible, but everything is out on the toe and a big, high hook. I'm thinking the face is shut at impact?

It's weird because I'm not struggling with the long irons as much. Contact with the short irons isn't terrible, but everything is out on the toe and a big, high hook. I'm thinking the face is shut at impact?

Big high hook sounds like the face is open at impact in relation to the target, but closed still in relation to the path. Might want to throw down some alignment sticks that are barely wider than the club head and work on some short shots and see if you can get the ball coming out straight?

Spent a couple of hours at the range tonight.. Focus going in was working on tempo, balance and swing changes. Hit the short irons extremely well, but found myself putting a fade on my long irons and woods. This has been the opposite of the ball flight I have been seeing lately. I did find that as I was finish my swing more of my weight was on my front heel as opposed to the front side of the foot. I tried to correct and start pulling the ball.

Afterwards, I worked on putting and chipping on the practice greens.

All in all it was a decent practice, but my finish needs to better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back