The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
had the best range session last night that I have had in a long time. my timing is starting to really come together, the advise I got from six4three5 the last time we were out is really paying off. I was hitting my irons nice and high with little effort. I was all over the sweet spot tonight. hit the drive very well, only missed 3 out of 25 swings. hope it carries over to the course.

Much better tonight.

I had started to take the club away low and inside again and some quick video made it obvious. Started taking the club away straight back and shortened the swing a bit and that seemed to get things back on track in a hurry.

Ended my bucket with an absolutely perfectly flushed 4 iron. What a freaking feeling that is, range or not.

Hoping to make it to the range tonight as I am back to work following my bout of flu, but not setting any specific targets as I don't know how my body is going to react after a day of work and last week feeling totally wrecked

I am looking forward to it though as I have a couple Callaway heads and shafts to try courtesy of GEO, and I also wanted to hit some balls before our club champs on Sunday

2 hours at the range this morning. Really positive session prior to the Gantlet! Tempo, Tempo, Tempo has been my focus. Slow, deliberate backswing and making a full turn is yielding some really great results. I can tell when I get quick and cheat the turn.

Worked on stable right knee, putting weight on inside rightfoot/heel, and keeping the rear shoulder turning thru out the backswing yielded great results. Shot even par from the tips on my home course front 9

Last range session for a while.
Trying to hit irons with good tempo, need to get a slightly more predictable ball flight. Approach shots with PW, 9i and 8i. The wind was into me from R to L, so that doesn't help the cause too much, but I had a fair share of straight, slight draw, and no big slices.
Putting - still working kinks out with the Cure Rx2.

Popped up to the range for an hour after work this evening and it was mixed.... 8i and PW were struck pretty well producing nice high draws but the driver was a major struggle tonight with everything leaking right or a straight pull

I may well see out the rest of the playable season over here and then look to get a couple lessons to get my swing path sorted out. It can't be anything too serious as my 5w is an absolute bomber off the tee but it would be nice to get the driver working the same way

Hit the range,getting these irons semi fit has improved my game immensely. I was puring the irons like silly. So pleased with how I progressing ,excited to play at Disney

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Got in a long range session tonight before my volleyball game.

Hit about 100 balls really moving through the bag. Only hit a couple with driver as I liked what I saw.

Focused the last 20-25 balls on the 3 wood and 3 hybrid. Not hitting the 2 iron well right now so putting the hybrid back in bag for now.

Afterwards headed over to the two chipping greens to work on the short game.

Overall a decent range session and the last one before the Gauntlet.

I have decided that I am absolutely committed to being an amazing putter.

I am going to put in an absolutely FOOLISH amount of time on the putting green until every putt from every angle is a scoring opportunity. It started this week, and so far I've probably in six total hours. Good things on the horizon.

Putting is the one thing I truly believe amateurs can be as good at as the pros. We'll never have the length or precision they have but putting is one thing that could level the field. Most people won't spend the time necessary to get that good but I do believe it's something a weekend hack could get as good at as a pro if they put the time in. FWIW you're the best putter I've seen so the thought of you getting better is kind of scary.

Got a great deal on a taylormade aeroburner superfast driver so today i hit a medium bucket of balls working on getting the current driver down. next session i need to put more focus on my irons

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Hit the range at lunch, hitting a small bucket and focusing on staying down through the shot. I had a number of mis-hits before I realized that once again my ball position had crept back on me again, which would probably explain the few tops I had on the course the other day. Moved the ball forward maybe 1 ball width in my stance, and had good trajectory. Long irons are still a work in progress, as always.

I didn't even bother to hit driver :( I know that's terrible, but I was hitting so well I didn't even want to pull it out of the bag and drag me down. Time for another lesson.

Oh and this little guy came by to say hello.

0606359b079bf6227e0f268273cae5de.jpg

EDIT: I went to the range near my house on the way home to work on the driver. I felt bad. After a few crappy shots of the usual type, I narrowed my stance and grounded the driver a few inches further back. Low and behold, decent shots. Not far, but decent. Working on setting up another lesson this week because I really do not want to end this season still fighting the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hopefully you can see this, as I bought the wrong foot spray to use for this - the one I bought is clear and not white :)

301f89f1b04877316f7902b1f9d496a2.jpg

These are my last 5 driver shots of the session today. I remembered the thread about seeing clubface impact while fighting with my driver and decided to see if seeing where on the face I was hitting the ball had any impact on my struggles.

My first 12-15 shots were BAD. High on the face and all toe. I messed around with my setup some, mostly just slight variances with ball position, and where I was grounding the club when taking my grip. These shots you hopefully see in the pic are all the result of grounding the club with the ball closer to the heel side of the face, rather than in the center. I've learned that teeing it lower works better for me, so this is with maybe half the ball above the crown, and about a ball width further back in my stance. All 5 shots were pretty much dead straight 220 out.

I'm definitely going to have to try this a few more times, & ask about this at my next lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scramble today, so plenty of opportunity to put myself in pressure situations.

Really confident in my ability to make that pressure shot. Hitting first off the tee, usually first into greens, and hitting the first putt on almost every hole. Wanting to put my team in the best possible position to succeed..... and actually having that happen, is a GREAT feeling.

Funny how a teammate who is the better golfer, is always hesitant to hit the first shot. If you think a putt will break a certain way, have the confidence to take that first putt.

Up bright and early to hit the range, really wanting to build off of yesterday's ball-striking.

Short game for an hour, putting green for 45 mins, and then finish off the bucket on the range. Went really well today, only a couple mishits. Trying to put a lot of emphasis on changing my approach to the ball. Stand behind it, aim, one step to the left and straight to the ball.

Distances coming back again. Definitely want to get into some regular flex shafts still though, see if things improve a little bit with a change.

The work I have put into my swing, and into my short-game practice, are definitely paying dividends!

Hit the range today to work on my woods and hybrids. I realized my posture has creeped too far straight up, so worked on hovering over the ball more and getting the butt of the club pointing at my belly button as opposed to further up at my torso. The result was getting back to getting much better contact and distance. It didn't really help when I was hitting tee shots with my fairway woods, but those shots are fine anyways.

More generally, I've become a lot more confident in my game the last couple months. I no longer have that fear the wheels are going to completely fall off and just focus on each shot. I'm comfortable I have a lot of shots in my bag to score well, so I focus on executing what I need to and go from there. If I hit a bad shot, I generally have an idea the cause of it, which helps work that issue out next time. I've focused my practice sessions and have devoted a lot more time to practicing the short game and putting. There's just so many strokes to save there; I mean, I don't think I have had a round without a three putt, so it's been nice seeing improvement in that area and I know there's a lot more work I can put in.

I have a tournament at the end of the month, so am focusing on playing well at that by sharpening things up with the wedges and putter.

As exhausting as being at work is daily, the range just rejuvenates me.

Another session tonight after work, just trying to swing the stress away.

Short game, Putting, then wedges on the range. 1/2 swing, 3/4 swing, full swing. repeat.

Today i spent about an hour working on chipping. Then about 30 minutes putting. I do this on Monday and Tuesday, since mats are used on the range on these days and i refuse to hit off them.

Range time tonight was nothing more than focusing on posting up on the left leg and turning the corner with my left hip. First few were rough, but then it was pretty damn good. If I could only take my range game to the course.....yeah that requires the planets to be aligned at this point

Played a practice round yesterday. I was working on playing little fades from 150 and in. I was really pleased with the results. I hit all the greens when I fully committed to the shot. Some were less than 10 ft from the pin. I'm hoping that trend continues. I've been struggling with getting legitimate birdie opportunities all summer.

had a great day at the range with six4three5 last night. weather was 80 and sunshine. I have not hit the ball much better all year than I did last night. my swing was the smoooooooooothest it has been in a long time. can not wait to find a nice course on the outer banks next week!

One of my playing partners said something to me during our morning round that, I hope, I will work on.
Tempo.
He mentioned that my tempo is really good with my irons, but not as consistent off the tee box.
I took that piece of information to the range after the round.
I will be working on my tempo for the remainder of the season, and hopefully beyond.

I have stopped using my lower body in the swing. Its frustrating as hell too because I was literally playing the best golf of my life 3 weeks ago.

With that, I've fallen back to letting my swing get too long. A never ending battle for me it seems.

Back to work today though. Will fix it, hopefully before next Saturday....and before my HCP gets any higher.

I have stopped using my lower body in the swing. Its frustrating as hell too because I was literally playing the best golf of my life 3 weeks ago.

With that, I've fallen back to letting my swing get too long. A never ending battle for me it seems.

Back to work today though. Will fix it, hopefully before next Saturday....and before my HCP gets any higher.

I feel your pain. Nothing pisses me off more than when I revert back to old habits. Mine is the forward slide of the left hip instead of posting up on the front leg and turning the corner with my left hip.

I feel your pain. Nothing pisses me off more than when I revert back to old habits. Mine is the forward slide of the left hip instead of posting up on the front leg and turning the corner with my left hip.
Oh that move and I are bedfellows at the moment too. Ugh.

I'll remedy it, but I hate when I let myself fall back into that crap.

Going to go talk to a couple different teaching pros this weekend and change things up. New eyes and thoughts aren't at all a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back