The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are gripping the club?

have you made 30 in a row from 3',4' or. 5'?

A little bit stronger with the left hand and a little weaker with the right. It feels like I have a frikken vise grip on the club with very little tension in the hands. Club sits much more in the fingers now as well. I really like how it feels. I feel that I have complete control of the club throughout the swing

Interesting. I will be checking into one of these or something similar

I'll just say this too - You're going to have access to some great putting instruction through Seemore. Working hard on what I learned through them is a big reason why I don't really use the Tru Path as often any more. Don't be scared to make some big changes.

have you made 30 in a row from 3',4' or. 5'?

not yet. I just started using it again last night. I need to get into a routine.

I'll just say this too - You're going to have access to some great putting instruction through Seemore. Working hard on what I learned through them is a big reason why I don't really use the Tru Path as often any more. Don't be scared to make some big changes.
I will keep that in mind. I need all the help I can get.

I will keep that in mind. I need all the help I can get.

It's an amazing opportunity buddy. The changes aren't always easy at first, but the payoff was huge for me.

Started the indoor putting tonight.
Straight 3 footers only.
Did 100 total. 10 sets of 10.
92/100

Struggled this week. Worked on the range on my swing and was feeling pretty good, but was just too inconsistent when I hit the course. Hoping it will warm up a bit soon so I can get another lesson in.

I practiced yesterday for a good two hours and came away pleased with everything but my long irons. I seem to be forcing the issue and need to let them happen. Everything else was really solid, center of the club face type stuff.

I've spent some time each of the last five nights watching the rebroadcast tournaments on GC and practicing the drills that my instructor gave me. Here's what's going on so far.

The posture and address position fixes are starting to feel pretty good. I've suffered from a complete lack of confidence in my address position for a long time, and I think this might turn that around.

Step-through drill. I was finishing with both feet flat after my follow through, often failing to transfer weight forward at all. Stepping through toward the target is extreme, but I can tell that it's helping train me to get there. After doing the drill and going back to regular swings, I can tell that I'm doing better, but still not hitting the mark 100% of the time. I'm still not always getting fully rotated with the bottom of my foot looking straight back.

Practice balls seem to be getting up better, and I don't feel like I'm plagued by fat shots like I was before.

Wade - you will get there buddy
Freddie- sounds like most everything is coming together and that's awesome.
Shark- props to working on your drills. Stay motivated man!

Yesterday I practiced my putting for around an hour.
Setup a make-shift putting area and worked on my new approach to putting.
I worked hard to get the line on the ball to roll end over end to ensure a true roll and made sure to keep my stroke within its' plane. I plan on doing that 3 times a week, mixing it up with different drills as well.

I also have plans to get in 100 swings, 2 or 3 times per week. Yesterday I didn't get around to it as it was a busy day, but hopefully I can maintain that goal, going forward. I think it will do a lot for my game during the winter months.

Tnolan,
what are doing to insure the end over end roll? Is it ball position? You stroke? What exactly would you say is helping get a true roll?
i know that the best way to putt Bermuda greens is to get the ball rolling on top of the grain, so that as it slows down the grain takes over. Getting the ball rolling is key on Bermuda.

I have committed to working on my swing plane until I get some consistency . It seems like this is the one demon in my golf game that has haunted me my entire golfing career. I tend to get flatter than a pancake in a waffle iron, on my take away. My timing has to be perfect to square up the club face. My drill to correct this ,is to put a driver or what ever in my belly button. I then move the club back and up to my right shoulder without rolling my wrists open and both of my thumbs pointing skyward. I'm going to do this drill until moving the club head up towards my right shoulder becomes a fixture in my game.

I have committed to working on my swing plane until I get some consistency . It seems like this is the one demon in my golf game that has haunted me my entire golfing career. I tend to get flatter than a pancake in a waffle iron, on my take away. My timing has to be perfect to square up the club face. My drill to correct this ,is to put a driver or what ever in my belly button. I then move the club back and up to my right shoulder without rolling my wrists open and both of my thumbs pointing skyward. I'm going to do this drill until moving the club head up towards my right shoulder becomes a fixture in my game.

Don't be too harsh judging those new irons while in the midst of a swing change.

Good luck.

Don't be too harsh judging those new irons while in the midst of a swing change.

Good luck.

Actually I am gaming my RBZ irons through this transition. I know for sure my mis hits are the Indian and not the arrow.

Tnolan,
what are doing to insure the end over end roll? Is it ball position? You stroke? What exactly would you say is helping get a true roll?
i know that the best way to putt Bermuda greens is to get the ball rolling on top of the grain, so that as it slows down the grain takes over. Getting the ball rolling is key on Bermuda.

Missed this earlier Freddie.
Check the SeeMore thread for more details on my lesson, but it is a combination of ball position, stroke, grip, and position of my hands.
I putted a bunch of balls tonight as well, starting to see the result much more consistently.

Gold Dome dates tomorrow and Friday. It's been a week and a half since I swung, that's too long. Back to the grind!

Untitled_zps6d67e9eb.jpg

Ok so I figured I would explain the drill I have been doing when I go to the range. I basically have a box, about as long as a baseball bat, and about as high as two shoe boxes set up on end.

My instructor is trying to get me to imagine that there is a wall right on the opposite side of the ball. This has to force you to have a straight swing path because whether it's in-out or out-in, you are gonna smack the wall (box).

So let's get oriented. Looking at the awesome picture I drew, in my 2nd grade art class, you can see the long rectangle mimics the box. The box has to be long enough to extend past your ball around 18 inches on each side. If it's too short, it's going to give you a false positive because it's such a small area and you could square your swing path back up without hitting the box.

Anyways, the longer the better (that's what she said? ZING!). The green line is obviously the line you want to come through the ball. The red line simulates an out to in down swing. If you have this problem, your gonna take a chunk out of the back end of the box during your downswing. The blue line simulates an in to out downswing and you're gonna take a chunk out of the front of the box when you follow through.

The arrows obviously show you which way the box is gonna spin if you can't tell what side your hitting. Hit the back of the box and the box is gonna spin in a clockwise direction with the front leading. Hit the front, and the box is gonna spin clockwise, but the back end is gonna be the leading part.

It's a drill that has really helped me and I figured I would share it with you guys. It's something that is easy to do, and extremely cheap to use. (Find a box, go dumpster diving in Wal-mart). Hopefully that makes sense.

I decided to take my recent work to the range and see how things were fairing. Weather conditions: 39 degrees and no wind to speak of. I picked up a medium bucket and started things off with my 9I.

First ball was dead straight, clean contact, nice trajectory. The kind of shot that says, "Hey, this might actually be working."

Second ball was almost identical. The kind of follow-up shot that says, "Feed me SeeMore. Feed the golf gods."

From there, things settled down to a slightly more routine session. I went through a little bit more than half the bucket going through 9I, 7I, 5I, 3H, and Driver. Transitioning from one club to the next was easier than usual. All told, my ball striking was markedly improved. I had a total of 2 thin shots, 1 topped shot, and 1 fat shot (but it's lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw it). I was very happy with my irons, managing mostly straight shots (and a few baby draws) until I got to the 5I. The 5I let a couple slices slip in, but these were not discouraging in any way. 3H was clean.

Overall, my distance was decent but not remarkable. I was not focusing on distance or power tonight, but rather on clean swings. I did notice some overswinging with the Driver, which led to some pulls and slices, but those can be addressed later.

After half the bucket my back was definitely tiring out. The new change in posture is having a huge impact here, but I'm confident that continuing to work with this posture will improve my stamina and lower back strength.

I switched to hitting easy wedge shots, and saw improvement here as well. Flops, full wedges, and bump-n-runs were much crisper than I've been hitting in a long time, with good direction.

Impressions: pleased with the improvement thus far, still a lot of work to be done.

I have my first indoor simulator session of the winter scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I'm not going to play 18 holes though, I'm going to just get into the driving range mode and work a lot on swings with my Tour Striker wedge and my normal 8 iron. I'm going to hit a good number of 9-to-3 shots, but also focus on my takeaway and maintaining width on my backswing.

It's warmed up a bit here this week, so I think I may sneak out for some range work tomorrow afternoon.

It'll be even warmer next week, so I may have to get a round in.

What type of drills do you Over the toppers use / are working on?
I had a lesson yesterday and for some reason the stuff we've worked on I just still struggle with getting the club in the proper slot and coming from the inside.
Now I'm working on a shorter swing because for some reason with a full swing I'm losing control at the top / on the way down.
That's my focus for the next week or two. Hoping after I get the path corrected with the short swing that I'll be able to expand to a more full swing

What type of drills do you Over the toppers use / are working on?
I had a lesson yesterday and for some reason the stuff we've worked on I just still struggle with getting the club in the proper slot and coming from the inside.
Now I'm working on a shorter swing because for some reason with a full swing I'm losing control at the top / on the way down.
That's my focus for the next week or two. Hoping after I get the path corrected with the short swing that I'll be able to expand to a more full swing

Not to make a joke, but you should be on the lookout for P4B's review of the slot machine training aid. I have a similar problem as you.

the box drill that i use works really well that I posted in here last night, it's just a few posts up actually, it lets you know when you are messing up, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back