The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still trying to go with a 'less back swing and more aggressive downswing' thought. Works really well with everything but the driver. I feel like there is a divide between my driver swing speed and the rest of the bag. Hard for me to wrap my logical head around it.

As I work towards this swing change, I am spending time erasing and engraining new muscle memory. Right now I am only working on the take away and to further that, only working on the first 2 feet of the take away or when the club head reaches about thigh high. Its an effort to get my body to take the club head back straighter and then shift rather than take it away inside. I spent about an hour doing this yesterday and it is starting to feel like normal.

Haven't been able to hit a ball for some time now but have been working on the first half of my take away and getting over my right side while indoors since I took a golftec lesson a few weeks ago. Im trying to do 20-30 reps each night to ingrain the take away move.

With the weather warming up the next couple days I hope to go hit some balls to validate it, excited for the season to get started!!!

Lately I chipped in to buy a putting mat (no pun intended) and it has been doing great. Putting for 10 minutes a day which is around maybe 50 putts can really do a lot to keep a solid putting stroke. If I had room in my house I would have an indoor golf net, but I had to settle for one outside. After school hitting balls into it for an hour a day can do wonders for the game.

Went to the PGA super store in Schaumburg today! Hit some putts and chips then tried out some irons and drivers.

Was smoking the srixon z star 7 iron they had 180-190 and straight. Of course they are OOS at all locations and they were on sale for 399!

Ended up smoking the RBZ tour driver with x stiff shaft saw some good head speeds and then proceeded to snap the shaft literally in half! Whoops!! No matter good practice session.

Got an approval notice from the boss to cut out of Daddy duties for an hour or so this afternoon to get some range time in. Low 50s here today and sunny, gotta take advantage. It will be my first time trying out a range nearby, hope its up to snuff compared to what I was used to in KC.

Lessons begin next Wednesday. Very excited. Going to commit to working on drills as often as I can. High hopes for 2013.

Had a really good knock the rust off range session yesterday. Hit a bucket moving up and down my bag. Really worked on just concentrating on coming from the inside and was drawing the ball more than I ever could before. Pretty awesome to see. Be nice if I could get to the point of controlling that over the next year.

I was able to get out and hit a bucket of balls today. I could have shanked everything and still enjoyed the bucket, since it was 70 degrees and I was wearing shorts. Almost unheard of for GA.

I have really been struggling with my irons lately, but I think I figured it out. I focused more on turning my hips and using my legs during the swing. I was shifting my weight instead of turning back and through. The mistake caused me to get too upright and also typically caused a laid off club at the top. Not good.

Focusing on my legs and hips allowed me to make a proper turn and follow through the ball. It also had me leading the swing from the bottom up. Everything just fell back into place.

The only nervous part about this swing thought is that I have no focus on my arms or hands. Everything is focused on my knees, hips and feet. If I trust the swing, really good things happen. But, if I try to use my hands, the swing gets upright again. I've gone though this before, and I'm hoping repetition helps make this swing more natural.

Took me a while to get going with the full swing yesterday. I think the best thought I can have in my mind is to be aggressive. Once I quit trying to baby things I really hit the ball well. Slow-mo just doesn't work for me.

worked on my putting again last night for a little bit...
incorporated another drill that i took away from my SPi fitting/lesson.
the drill focuses on creating good torso/shoulder turn in your putting stroke, moving towards the end goal of a pure stroke and pure roll.

take your driver or 3 wood and place the headcover into the center of your chest, and the butt-end of the grip on the top of your putter.
make your normal putting stroke while keeping the driver in place.
it's not a very easy drill and takes some practice, but you should start seeing results quickly...then once you've gotten the hang of it, try doing it again, this time without the headcover. makes it a little more difficult to keep that club in place.

Can you explain the torso/shoulder turn? I don't think I've ever rotated by torso while putting

I know it's a mistake but I really want to hit some balls today. It's freaking warm out

I had a ton of 3 putts the last time out so I'm going to the putting green before I play today to see if I can figure out why I was missing right. I've done some research and I think it's because I was taking my putter too far inside. Moving the ball forward in my stance didn't fix the problem. I'm going to set up two balls to use as a gate and see what I can figure out.

Been to the indoor range about one every 5-10 day this winter, but today was able to get out to the outdoor range. Got up early this morning, a buddy called me up and said that it's 8 degrees out, we need to go. Bundled up an went.

Indoor ranges are nice, but I like seeing my ball flight. So this morning worked on trying to get my ball flight a bit higher in the 6i-3i. I tend to have a low finish, so worked on trying to get the hand to finish higher.

The worst part was having to go pick our own balls up afterwards because the range wasn't officially "open", but overall it was great to get out and work on some stuff.

Been working at a left hand low putting stroke for about a week or so now. Seems to be working out pretty well. Ready to get on the course next week to see how it works in the real world.

Bought an indoor putting mat a few weeks ago. Broke into it today and rolled my SeeMore for thirty minutes for the start of my Morgan Cup prep. The snow is melting, I was sinking putts - awesome feeling to get started.

Been to the indoor range about one every 5-10 day this winter, but today was able to get out to the outdoor range. Got up early this morning, a buddy called me up and said that it's 8 degrees out, we need to go. Bundled up an went.

Indoor ranges are nice, but I like seeing my ball flight. So this morning worked on trying to get my ball flight a bit higher in the 6i-3i. I tend to have a low finish, so worked on trying to get the hand to finish higher.

The worst part was having to go pick our own balls up afterwards because the range wasn't officially "open", but overall it was great to get out and work on some stuff.

Bet that felt real nice. Had the same thing yesterday basically. It was on the course, but first time I'd been outdoors in a while.

As for today - excellent practice session and that's just what I needed on a cold winter day.

Two things I'm working on

A small change to my grip.

Getting my weight back on my right side, but not too far back. I want to be on my instep, but often end up on the outer side of my foot. The cure (today) was actually in the form of a pretty common warm up stretch.

back-warm-up-stretch.jpg

Just tried to capture that feeling of my weight going back and then forward to a finish. Then I'd set up and hit a ball. Rinse, repeat, successful practice session for me.

One day after work this week, I need to go focus on the three wood. I have absolutely no luck with it right now. Par fives in two are out of the question when my next longest club is my 4i. Gotta figure that fw wood out...

I will be working on some green side chipping over the next few weeks. Chunks and thins haunted me today, and once that creeps in to my mind, it's tough to get it going on the course again without some practice time.

I will be working on some green side chipping over the next few weeks. Chunks and thins haunted me today, and once that creeps in to my mind, it's tough to get it going on the course again without some practice time.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Had the same issues today..... Good news it's only January, plenty of time to fix that up......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hit 300 balls...took 150 to get into the groove of things but felt pretty nice.

I wanna hit 300 balls.

I wanna hit 300 balls.

I *did* hit them indoors into a net. ;) Though I had Flightscope and cameras to aid me.

I *did* hit them indoors into a net. ;) Though I had Flightscope and cameras to aid me.

Been doing lots of that lately, but it's better than sitting on my butt.

Been doing lots of that lately, but it's better than sitting on my butt.

Sure is. In the summer you might go "meh, don't wanna hit balls today, slight drizzle outside" but in the winter "hit balls into a net?! Sign me up!". Amazing how big the contrasts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back