The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the box drill that i use works really well that I posted in here last night, it's just a few posts up actually, it lets you know when you are messing up, which is nice.

You're right. I'm gonna get me a box asap

What type of drills do you Over the toppers use / are working on?
I had a lesson yesterday and for some reason the stuff we've worked on I just still struggle with getting the club in the proper slot and coming from the inside.
Now I'm working on a shorter swing because for some reason with a full swing I'm losing control at the top / on the way down.
That's my focus for the next week or two. Hoping after I get the path corrected with the short swing that I'll be able to expand to a more full swing

I had two things to focus on to build an in to out swing path; first focus on hitting the inside of the ball. Around 7 oclock if noon is straight down the target line. Second is to actually say the word pause at the top. You'll slow the transition and drop to the inside due to gravity.

I use the pause on every full swing and go back to hitting the inside of the ball when I'm really coming over the top.

I had a lesson yesterday and for some reason the stuff we've worked on I just still struggle with getting the club in the proper slot and coming from the inside.
Now I'm working on a shorter swing because for some reason with a full swing I'm losing control at the top / on the way down.
That's my focus for the next week or two. Hoping after I get the path corrected with the short swing that I'll be able to expand to a more full swing
What is your first move from the top of your swing?

Hitting the range this afternoon with my brother-in-law. Looking forward to getting back to swinging, over the holidays it's been tough with work and running around like crazy.

Planning on getting some range time in later after work, it will only be for a short while as I have got a badminton match so I have my PW, 7i and 5W in the car just to hit some balls as I haven't done that since about October

I don't have the luxury of a grass range around here, but it is floodlit which is a bonus considering how early it gets dark so anything to finally get to swing a club again is nice, and hopefully I will be able to get to the range once a week until I manage to get out on the course and start playing

Quick fix is to place an alignment stick into the grass at 45 degree angle. I usually measure its placement about 1ft off my back foot and then 3ft away from that. If you're over the top, you'll definitely hit the stick. I love this drill and takes away an OTT real quick.

What is your first move from the top of your swing?

I'm honestly not sure at this point. A bit ago I thought I was starting with my hops turning and pulling the club but video showed I was turning my shoulders instead.

U guess right now it's more if a pulling with the hands motion.

Quick fix is to place an alignment stick into the grass at 45 degree angle. I usually measure its placement about 1ft off my back foot and then 3ft away from that. If you're over the top, you'll definitely hit the stick. I love this drill and takes away an OTT real quick.

Thanks canes. I will give it a shot

Nice range session today. Worked primarily on my take away and keeping my hips from turning too early. Lead to a more compact swing and efficient power. Felt really solid.

I'm honestly not sure at this point. A bit ago I thought I was starting with my hops turning and pulling the club but video showed I was turning my shoulders instead.

U guess right now it's more if a pulling with the hands motion.

Setup like you're gonna hit the Baal. Then take the club and cross your arms in front of your chest. Now you look like a T. Your first move away from the ball is with the right shoulder. The mice back into the ball starts with the left shoulder. This will keep your chest moving over the ball and also gives you the feel of having the club in front of you.

I do the same drill with the butt of the club in my chest. Extend the arms down the shaft and keep the grip in your chest as you turn back and through. The club will come off the chest on the back swing and find its way back as the hands come back across your chest. Does this make sense?

Setup like you're gonna hit the Baal. Then take the club and cross your arms in front of your chest. Now you look like a T. Your first move away from the ball is with the right shoulder. The mice back into the ball starts with the left shoulder. This will keep your chest moving over the ball and also gives you the feel of having the club in front of you.

I do the same drill with the butt of the club in my chest. Extend the arms down the shaft and keep the grip in your chest as you turn back and through. The club will come off the chest on the back swing and find its way back as the hands come back across your chest. Does this make sense?

That makes sense. Thanks Freddie.
I will be working on this at the range tomorrow.

Since getting my indoor hitting area set up I've been practicing more than ever. Especially paying off with contact in my irons. Still feel like I have some work to do with my driver, so I'm going to get with my instructor on that. I can swing it well or not so well on any given day and I'd like to get a happy medium if possible.

Since getting my indoor hitting area set up I've been practicing more than ever. Especially paying off with contact in my irons. Still feel like I have some work to do with my driver, so I'm going to get with my instructor on that. I can swing it well or not so well on any given day and I'd like to get a happy medium if possible.

The iron swing and driver swing are different (or should be) so there are probably logical reasons. Keep it up Hawk.

The iron swing and driver swing are different (or should be) so there are probably logical reasons. Keep it up Hawk.

Thanks! I think I want to make them the same at times and that's a part of it. I've hit a ton of iron shots recently, so that's sort of ingrained in my head. I just need to get off my butt and go see the guy. He's like a magician. I wish he lived with me.

Had a pretty horrible range session today. Everything that could go wrong did. Picked it up right near the end, but it was laughable. Ridiculous

Had a pretty horrible range session today. Everything that could go wrong did. Picked it up right near the end, but it was laughable. Ridiculous

Shake it off buddy. Every body has days like that.
It'll be better next time

Lame. Don't stress it!

Not putting much stock in it. Just sucks to feel like all that hard work put in was sabotaged by two weeks of Holiday break. Just gotta keep grinding!

8 iron flow in the simulator to a target 150 yards away. The circle extends 10 yards out from the target. I'm pretty happy with this dispersion, no quick hooks!

hu6ytasa.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

No worries, it happens, I even have really bad range sessions and then go off and have a good round right after. Golf is so up and down for sure!!!

Decent range session at lunch today. Struggled at first but figured out I was trying to hit the ball. Once I started swinging to the target again, got back on track.

8 iron flow in the simulator to a target 150 yards away. The circle extends 10 yards out from the target. I'm pretty happy with this dispersion, no quick hooks!

hu6ytasa.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk
Very nice, where's the sim at?

hu6ytasa.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Ary I don't think you have that 8 iron dialed in enough. You should probably keep working... You're all over the place! :alien:

Ary - great work man

I'm feeling so much better today so I'm heading out to the range for a small buck and then half an hour in the short game area.
I will be working on swinging from the inside.

So just finished a range session today and after yesterday's debacle, I finally turned it back around. Started out extremely rough again and could not correct myself from coming across and out to in. So I basically stepped away and began to just focus on getting my hands through. I then actually started swinging harder little by little until I was probably at 90-95%.

Man, it made a huge difference. Almost like when I was slowing the swing down I was fighting my natural flow. It's weird, because usually when I try to uncork it, it is bad news. Going to try to begin my next session (after warming up) at full strength and see how that goes.

Was a good for the most part though, felt much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back