The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a great range session this afternoon followed by a lesson with my instructor. It will be the last lesson before the Morgan Cup, but not the last range session. I'll get a couple more of those in, and at least one round, before I leave for Myrtle. Range sessions have become a little shorter and a lot less like work since coming back from my neck injury. Actually, they've seemed to be more productive. So, there might be a lesson in there somewhere about how hard one needs to push it to really be effective. I know I've been having a lot more fun practicing lately, and the results seem to be coming easier.

You have overcome a lot for this event, and the work and pressure you went through will pay off next week!

Short game is going to show up some point tonight.

On to the short game area

raquvy8a.jpg

Did a lot of short game and putting practice today on a nicer course with faster greens. Had some god awful touch for about 30min until I got used to the speed and undulation. They were healing from aeration and verticut, so I thought they'd be slow. Nope, still fast. I spent all that time triple guessing if it was going to be fast or not, even though I knew it was. Kinda frustrating.

I have been really encouraged by how short game practice translates very directly to playing on the course (this is not necessarily true for me with full swing range sessions.).

I didn't even have an especially good short game practice session this morning, but I went through my normal routine: basic putting stroke stuff on the flat putting green, working on getting up and down at the short game green, and I pitched maybe 50-100 balls from the shag bag to a basket from the range. (When I go to the range I spend a good amount of time on Pelz swings.)

Anyway, I played 9 this afternoon. Hit some good and bad shots, nothing to write home about. But I had a bunch of nice Pelz shots, 4 one putts and no 3 putts, I think 3 up and downs (good for me) and some decent pitch shots from say 15 to 30 yards.

Back at the range tonight after a week off due to work and it took about half a bucket to shake the rust with the odds, 3W and driver. I've been thinking about a reliable shot with the driver when the pressure is on and I must hit the fairway. This month's Golf Digest has a good article for this go-to shot (I believe it's also known as the Wardy Stinger hehe).

I'm paraphrasing here:

1. Tee the ball low enough that it's not visible above the crown.
2. Grip down on the driver to help with accuracy.
3. More weight on the lead leg than normal for a driver swing.
4. 3/4 swing

I gave this a try and saw low line drives that had a straight to slight fade ball flight. This will also work well into the wind. I've added this to my practice sessions and will give it a try on the course soon.

7 weeks away from #theGauntlet. It's go time Team Finley!

Had an ok session today just focused on the 3 things I was given to work on. Hit a large bucket, the first half was just meh. My goals were to load the right thigh on the backswing, keep my head down a fraction of a second longer, and to pull my right shoulder back in my stance which actually squares me up. Second half of the bucket was better, ended with a few drivers that started out terrible but worked their way out. I definitely need a few more sessions before I hit the course again, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last practice session before the MC. Worked on short game, hitting high and low chip shots. Looking forward to being in Myrtle in a couple of days and can't wait to spend some time in the short game area at Caledonia.

Last practice session before the MC. Worked on short game, hitting high and low chip shots. Looking forward to being in Myrtle in a couple of days and can't wait to spend some time in the short game area at Caledonia.

Nice brotherman, my last session is tomorrow, can't wait to see ya buddy.

Nice brotherman, my last session is tomorrow, can't wait to see ya buddy.

I need a week with THPers. Hard to think about anything else right now.

Had a great practice session this morning. 80 ball bucket, went straight to chipping green and picked t spots to chip from. Then full swing work. Then putting green. Came away feeling good and that is it until wednesday practice round at true blue!

Bolded for truth. I've heard much about that little short game area. Might have to disappear there for a while. Think we could get a flood light or two put up around there for a couple days?

Bolded for truth. I've heard much about that little short game area. Might have to disappear there for a while. Think we could get a flood light or two put up around there for a couple days?

I am sure we could figure something out. Maybe get a bunch of cars to shine their headlights.

I am sure we could figure something out. Maybe get a bunch of cars to shine their headlights.

If only there was a way we could get everyone with rental cars to somehow park near Caledonia...

Brief in prompt to range session. My main focus was stretching out and swinging easy. Things were going OK and then I hit an above average PW. I noticed I delivered the club from the inside a bit and wanted to replicate it. I went on to hit some extremely nice shots with PW and 8i. I kept thinking to myself hit the inside of the ball and don't move my lower body.

I have had my last practice session until Thursday when I get to Myrtle for a practice round, the swing's solid but not perfect and I've worked very hard to get where I am at with it. In hindsight I wouldn't have changed the swing with such a short window but it is what it is and I'm bringing the best of both swings combined, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious.

I have had my last practice session until Thursday when I get to Myrtle for a practice round, the swing's solid but not perfect and I've worked very hard to get where I am at with it. In hindsight I wouldn't have changed the swing with such a short window but it is what it is and I'm bringing the best of both swings combined, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious.
We all know what happens when you step on the course. Cant wait to meet you dude!

Good stuff my friend, cannot wait to see you and that gorgeous golf swing.

Told myself I was going to take the day off, talked myself into a range session and talked myself into a practice 9. Should have stopped with the range session.

Range session was good for the most part, but was off a little with the woods. Got worse from there and just didn't like anything I saw. Swing felt lazy and lacked energy.

Tomorrow is another day.

Another range session in the books. Started out at the chipping green for 45 minutes practicing a variety of shots. Only misses were thin from stupid me coming up out of swing early.

Then 7 iron work. Moved ball back a smudge in my stance and made some really solid contact. Gotta get those hips firing and that should slim instead my slight miss right.

A few solid swings with driver and some 60 to 100 yard work and called it a night.

Playing 9 with father in law tomorrow and then possible 9 Tuesday as a playing lesson before I head to MB.

Had my last practice on the home range today before MB. Will play a fun round with my dad tomorrow and then its off the MB practice rounds!

Got out today for my last range session before the MC. Started with gw, then 5i, sw, driver, LW, 4w, 4h, 7i. Was really pleased with most of it, with the most issue with the 7i, which is a holdover from my old set and I don't think it is to specs. Was really hitting the rest well, especially the 5i which I was actually able to draw into the wind on command, something I've never been able to do. After the range I went to putt with mostly good results. Lag putting is a struggle, but inside 10' is much better with the true balance.

Good practice session today focusing in iron striking. Placed a tee beside the ball, and a business card before the ball, making sure I took out the business card.

Then took it to the course, where I might have hit my irons the best I ever have!

Felt good to see the benefits of a practice session taken to the course!

Worked on putting tonight and specifically lag putting. Gotta get rid of those 3 putts. Seen the claw was working for second place man Garcia this weekend, so it's gotta be good :)

Some long club work and chipping and putting work tonight. Hit the XCG6 directly against my Bertha and it was quite illuminating. The Bertha launches high bombs with huge carry, while the XCG6 tends to produce mid trajectory shots with low spin and big rollout. It also seems like my miss with the XCG6 is more accurate - had one or two big misses with the Bertha, while I didn't have any real big ones with the Tour Edge. Lost a little more distance on mishits, but not as far offline.

Interesting results for now, can't wait to try it out again and see if I see the same things.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Spent an hr on the practice greens last night. Working on chipping/pitching and putting lesson I had with Cody from SeeMore. Some really really good results with the putter.

Went to the range and hit balls working on posture more athletic(upright) that was actually carry over from my lesson with Cody. What a difference that made in my contact, distance, flight. Changing up my posture also corrected or made it easier to keep my most common swing flaw at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back