The THP Range/Practice Thread

OldandStiff

Well-known member
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 23, 2019
Messages
2,031
Reaction score
1,515
Location
NE
Handicap
+
Can't handle not being able to swing, so after my meeting I'm going to go play a round pitching and putting from my most likely green miss areas. I'm kind of curious how many up and downs I can convert just playing the greens. And how long it will take.


Edit: 3 holes and rained out. The gods really just don't want me to golf. 10/12 up and down though.
 
Last edited:

FreddieMac

Returning Golfer
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
78
Location
Baton Rouge
Handicap
23.4
Is there a way with TheGrint app to go to a open field or driving range to mark distances for new clubs?
 

OldandStiff

Well-known member
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 23, 2019
Messages
2,031
Reaction score
1,515
Location
NE
Handicap
+
FreddieMac;n8878403 said:
Is there a way with TheGrint app to go to a open field or driving range to mark distances for new clubs?
I live in the golf boonies (hours to the closest trackman), so I have this problem. My home course has a range with markers at 50 yd increments, but the area to hit from can change by a good 20 yards depending on the week. How are you supposed to be able to tell exactly how far they're traveling? So I used Golfshot (maybe hole19, I can't remember, but would probably work the same for TheGrint) and started a round. Basically tells you you're no where near the hole, but if you act like you're hitting from there and 'track your shot', and walk out on the range it will show you exactly how far you are from where you started. Gives you a better idea of true distances to the markers. I've stuck a couple alignment sticks in the ground at certain distance between markers out there as a visual aid before too. You're still using range balls, and only able to discern carry, and only to the extent that you can see and judge where it hits, but it's better than just completely guessing.
 

FreddieMac

Returning Golfer
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
78
Location
Baton Rouge
Handicap
23.4
OldandStiff;n8878422 said:
I live in the golf boonies (hours to the closest trackman), so I have this problem. My home course has a range with markers at 50 yd increments, but the area to hit from can change by a good 20 yards depending on the week. How are you supposed to be able to tell exactly how far they're traveling? So I used Golfshot (maybe hole19, I can't remember, but would probably work the same for TheGrint) and started a round. Basically tells you you're no where near the hole, but if you act like you're hitting from there and 'track your shot', and walk out on the range it will show you exactly how far you are from where you started. Gives you a better idea of true distances to the markers. I've stuck a couple alignment sticks in the ground at certain distance between markers out there as a visual aid before too. You're still using range balls, and only able to discern carry, and only to the extent that you can see and judge where it hits, but it's better than just completely guessing.
Thanks, that is a good idea. I am just worried about rough carry right now. I like to hit like 5 shots per club and just take an average. All new irons that are 16 years newer technology going from steel to graphite, I have no clue how far they will go. I was wondering how the app would work if not on a course. I will give this a try. There is a top golf about 30 miles from my house. I thought about going there for rough distances. Does anyone know how accurate those are? Once I have the average number, I will refine it at the course.
 

OldandStiff

Well-known member
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 23, 2019
Messages
2,031
Reaction score
1,515
Location
NE
Handicap
+
You'd probably get a better response from someone who goes there often like my uncle who 'only goes to Top Golf with his buddies when they're rained out on the course, wink, wink', but I wouldn't suggest it from my experience. I pretty much disregard the numbers there, even at the ones with the newer tech. I don't know if it's to protect the rf chips in the balls or what, but they do not travel like a typical golf ball. If they did I feel like I would bounce them off the big screen at the one in Vegas regularly, and I do not. I actually meant to make a thread asking other guys about this a while back and forgot.
 

FreddieMac

Returning Golfer
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
78
Location
Baton Rouge
Handicap
23.4
OldandStiff;n8878532 said:
You'd probably get a better response from someone who goes there often like my uncle who 'only goes to Top Golf with his buddies when they're rained out on the course, wink, wink', but I wouldn't suggest it from my experience. I pretty much disregard the numbers there, even at the ones with the newer tech. I don't know if it's to protect the rf chips in the balls or what, but they do not travel like a typical golf ball. If they did I feel like I would bounce them off the big screen at the one in Vegas regularly, and I do not. I actually meant to make a thread asking other guys about this a while back and forgot.
That is good to know.
 

goalie

Well-known member
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
735
Reaction score
364
Location
Minnesota
Handicap
15.7
I'm confused.

Now, I'm not only not slicing my driver, but I'm getting a little draw sometimes.

I tried what works with my Launchers: swing easy.

Funny how that works......

FWIW, I love my "new" Cobra F8 that I bought on a whim for to a sale.

If this keeps up through my annual fall guy's weekend, they're gonna be pissed.



Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 

JonMA1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2017
Messages
496
Reaction score
406
Location
Northern Michigan
Handicap
High
FreddieMac;n8878443 said:
Thanks, that is a good idea. I am just worried about rough carry right now. I like to hit like 5 shots per club and just take an average. All new irons that are 16 years newer technology going from steel to graphite, I have no clue how far they will go. I was wondering how the app would work if not on a course. I will give this a try. There is a top golf about 30 miles from my house. I thought about going there for rough distances. Does anyone know how accurate those are? Once I have the average number, I will refine it at the course.
There are a couple different ways I measure my distances while practicing. Since you're looking for carry only, I'm not sure if any of these suggestions will work...

1) I hit into a field behind my house. There are trees and bushes that are easily identifiable using Google Maps. Google Maps has a measure feature that allow me to get distances between these "markers" where I can then apply those distance to my shots. It's not perfect but it gives me a pretty close idea of how far I hit each club.

2) If the field you're hitting into doesn't have anything like this, you can try a GPS measuring app for your phone. I use one called "Distance Measure". It works by setting your first location (waypoint) from where you're hitting from. Walking from that point, tapping another waypoint will give you the distance between the two points. You can record all the points where each ball lands which will give you a shot zone. Or, bring out some bright colored objects to the field (small orange cones or whatever you have available). By using the app to measure, set the objects down at desired distances (100, 125, 150 and so on). The free apps are a little squirrelly, but with a little imagination they work pretty well.

I don't own a laser range finder, but I believe you could do the same thing using one of those. Set your bag up from where you'll be hitting from and by walking out into the field, find your distances by zapping the golf bag.

What has really helped me figure out my distances is the free phone app for GameGolf. I believe it will only work on the course (almost all courses are mapped). After recording several rounds, you'll start to get a very good idea of how far you hit your new clubs in on-course situations.
 

FreddieMac

Returning Golfer
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
78
Location
Baton Rouge
Handicap
23.4
JonMA1;n8880271 said:
There are a couple different ways I measure my distances while practicing. Since you're looking for carry only, I'm not sure if any of these suggestions will work...

1) I hit into a field behind my house. There are trees and bushes that are easily identifiable using Google Maps. Google Maps has a measure feature that allow me to get distances between these "markers" where I can then apply those distance to my shots. It's not perfect but it gives me a pretty close idea of how far I hit each club.

2) If the field you're hitting into doesn't have anything like this, you can try a GPS measuring app for your phone. I use one called "Distance Measure". It works by setting your first location (waypoint) from where you're hitting from. Walking from that point, tapping another waypoint will give you the distance between the two points. You can record all the points where each ball lands which will give you a shot zone. Or, bring out some bright colored objects to the field (small orange cones or whatever you have available). By using the app to measure, set the objects down at desired distances (100, 125, 150 and so on). The free apps are a little squirrelly, but with a little imagination they work pretty well.

I don't own a laser range finder, but I believe you could do the same thing using one of those. Set your bag up from where you'll be hitting from and by walking out into the field, find your distances by zapping the golf bag.

What has really helped me figure out my distances is the free phone app for GameGolf. I believe it will only work on the course (almost all courses are mapped). After recording several rounds, you'll start to get a very good idea of how far you hit your new clubs in on-course situations.
All great thoughts, I did not think of google earth. I was thinking about buying a range finder, but TheGrint app seems very accurate for me. Does anyone thing there is an advantage/disadvantage to using both or either?
 

JonMA1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2017
Messages
496
Reaction score
406
Location
Northern Michigan
Handicap
High
FreddieMac;n8880610 said:
All great thoughts, I did not think of google earth. I was thinking about buying a range finder, but TheGrint app seems very accurate for me. Does anyone thing there is an advantage/disadvantage to using both or either?
I use TheGrint just to track my HC but have heard good things about the app. Does the app come with the Pro Membership?
 

FreddieMac

Returning Golfer
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
78
Location
Baton Rouge
Handicap
23.4
JonMA1;n8881079 said:
I use TheGrint just to track my HC but have heard good things about the app. Does the app come with the Pro Membership?
I used the 7 day free trial on my last round. I liked it and get an official handicap for free. I went ahead and paid for the pro membership just to support the site.
 

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
27,951
Reaction score
6,331
Location
orlando
Handicap
7.1
2 hours of short game practice with the 56 and 60. short, long, high, low. tried everything as i work on the lesson i had a couple weeks ago. it went pretty well, and i’m feeling more comfortable. also enjoyed the catalyst 80 in the wedges.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
7,265
Reaction score
306
Location
Tampa,FL
Handicap
9.3
I had some time yesterday and took my nephew to the range and Par 3 course.

I haven’t picked up a club in 3 weeks and to my surprise I didn’t have much rust. I worked on 2 things. A better takeaway, but actually staring at the golf ball the entire time and not in front of it.

We played 2 golf balls each hole since we had foursomes in front of us and shot 29-30 on a Par 27. 3 birdies.

It felt good, smooth, and consistent.

Going to play this afternoon. Maybe I can get back out a little more. 3 weeks off was great though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

JonMA1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2017
Messages
496
Reaction score
406
Location
Northern Michigan
Handicap
High
I'd been experiencing a severe 2-way miss with the driver the last few weeks (ok, since forever) and decided to work just on that Thursday night.

Started the practice session by pulling/hooking the most of the first 12-15 drives. I then tried to focus eliminating the left side of my target line. I slowed down my tempo, opened the face slightly at address and bent my left wrist (flexion??) just a bit at the top of the swing, trying to maintain that through contact. The swing felt very slow and deliberate, but the results looked good.

I then mapped the shots on the GPS and was pretty happy not only by the dispersion but by the distance I was getting. Out of 12 shots, one push, one pull - neither being far off - and the rest being very tight to the target line. I hit another set with similar results.

I headed out Saturday afternoon to a course that is very driver friendly and played 18, trying to continue with the same swing thoughts. Using the driver on all but the par 3's was able to keep everything in play and most to the right side. An unexpected bonus is that I must be getting less backspin as there was much more roll out than I'm accustomed to. I played 9 holes this morning at my much tighter home course with similar improved dispersion and added distance. I did top the first drive of the day, but that was the only penalty from the driver in 20 or so tee shots.
 

GoldenBuff

Wag more, bark less (formerly mtcowdog)
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Feb 2, 2015
Messages
5,218
Reaction score
1,785
Location
Bozeman, Montana
Handicap
8-10
I’ve made a commitment to work on my game the end of this summer and into fall as long as possible. My approach is each week is to get in 2-3 range and practice green sessions and 1-2 9-hole practice rounds. I want to get a stronger base for a full season in 2020.

I have changed in my practice to keep ~50% of range balls for wedges and focus on a more consistent swing with smoother tempo. I am trying all sorts of little games and drills to stay motivated with short game practice.

I don’t know if any of this will improve my game, but so far I am having a lot of fun. I still have plenty of swing and putt misses that make me growl at myself and look to the sky for answers. Then I laugh, and that’s the piece that can make this sustainable.
 

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
27,951
Reaction score
6,331
Location
orlando
Handicap
7.1
back to the practice green by my house. took my kids so my wife could rest. just brought the 60, and it went ok. my right hand is trying to add too much loft. i can tell that’s going to be an ongoing struggle. but, i’m still very happy with the work i’m doing. at least i have a direction and purpose instead of throwing sh1t at the wall hoping something would stick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

goalie

Well-known member
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
735
Reaction score
364
Location
Minnesota
Handicap
15.7
I have somehow gone from thirty-five years of slicing everything longer than an 8i to hooking hybrids like it's going out of style.

This game can be frustrating

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 

mtbloco

Go Blue
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 15, 2019
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
1,489
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Handicap
goalie;n8892092 said:
I have somehow gone from thirty-five years of slicing everything longer than an 8i to hooking hybrids like it's going out of style.

This game can be frustrating

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I had been a consistent hook / draw in my longer clubs, now i'm turning into a slicer.......
 

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
27,951
Reaction score
6,331
Location
orlando
Handicap
7.1
still working on the short game stuff from my lesson. i really lost the feel and have been struggling, but i hit a nice little groove working late in the practice session today. hopefully i can carry that feel over, and see some consistency.
 

JonMA1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2017
Messages
496
Reaction score
406
Location
Northern Michigan
Handicap
High
I only went out for about 15 minutes this afternoon, but I may have figured out (temporarily anyway) why I was leaving the face open at impact and pushing everything right. I think it was as simple as failing to rotate through impact. I'm not sure why it crept in there and why mainly just with that club. Hopefully, the correction will last.
 

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
87,973
Reaction score
9,835
Location
Ohio
Handicap
+
I've been doing a lot more with my short game lately (just getting reps in) and it's been paying off in a big way on the course.

Makes me feel very good. Kind of a reminder of what it takes and where it comes from.
 

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Albatross 2020 Club
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
41,201
Reaction score
5,366
Location
My Happy Place
Handicap
The Clock
Canadan;n8899878 said:
I've been doing a lot more with my short game lately (just getting reps in) and it's been paying off in a big way on the course.

Makes me feel very good. Kind of a reminder of what it takes and where it comes from.
I need to do more with short game practice. Really let it slip this year, and with swing problems, didn't have it to pick me up.
 

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
87,973
Reaction score
9,835
Location
Ohio
Handicap
+
OITW;n8899952 said:
I need to do more with short game practice. Really let it slip this year, and with swing problems, didn't have it to pick me up.
It is such an easy thing to let slide, yet plays a huge role in our scores.
 

FreddieMac

Returning Golfer
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
78
Location
Baton Rouge
Handicap
23.4
Canadan;n8899878 said:
I've been doing a lot more with my short game lately (just getting reps in) and it's been paying off in a big way on the course.

Makes me feel very good. Kind of a reminder of what it takes and where it comes from.
That is the only time I have really seen my scores improve. I cannot wait to the LA heat is gone so I can start practicing my short-game for realz. I started back playing in mid-July in Louisiana, not the best golf weather.
 

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in
Top