The THP Range/Practice Thread

20200531_172732.jpg#grinding

that looks crazy peaceful.

How much do you use the sticks?
I try to use them every other session, Dan. I'll use them one session to keep my dilaed in and getting my eyes acclimated to what I SHOULD be seeing at address and then I'll go a session without to see if it's sticking. I'm getting better at my alignment but it does tend to stray if I don't stay on top of it. I'll tend to get a little closed and I start (what I think is) pushing but typically I've just let my eyes start lying to me again and I'm actually hitting the damned thing right where I was aimed. Then the pull starts coming into play...............again. :rolleyes:

I try to use them every other session, Dan. I'll use them one session to keep my dilaed in and getting my eyes acclimated to what I SHOULD be seeing at address and then I'll go a session without to see if it's sticking. I'm getting better at my alignment but it does tend to stray if I don't stay on top of it. I'll tend to get a little closed and I start (what I think is) pushing but typically I've just let my eyes start lying to me again and I'm actually hitting the damned thing right where I was aimed. Then the pull starts coming into play...............again. :rolleyes:
haha, I feel that!

My alignment has been pretty strong, but man... Where my eyes think the line is at address is trash. My range sessions have been more about seeing something two feet in front of the ball that is in line with my aim... Sometimes it blows my mind what I think is right.

This also applies to my putter. I have to remind myself of that almost every round haha

haha, I feel that!

My alignment has been pretty strong, but man... Where my eyes think the line is at address is trash. My range sessions have been more about seeing something two feet in front of the ball that is in line with my aim... Sometimes it blows my mind what I think is right.

This also applies to my putter. I have to remind myself of that almost every round haha
Yeah, I've actually gotten into the habit of doing the same thing with the target a couple of feet in front of my ball. I went for a stretch there that if I looked up and took my focus off that target and stared down the fairway or green, I'd step off of it again and re-address my ball and re-focus on the two foot target.

And I feel ya with the putter. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I set up a couple of degrees open and deal with it. My issue with the putter lately has been more tempo related. I've really been working on it and my distance control has gotten WAY better which has, consequently, improved my reads.

Yeah, I've actually gotten into the habit of doing the same thing with the target a couple of feet in front of my ball. I went for a stretch there that if I looked up and took my focus off that target and stared down the fairway or green, I'd step off of it again and re-address my ball and re-focus on the two foot target.

And I feel ya with the putter. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I set up a couple of degrees open and deal with it. My issue with the putter lately has been more tempo related. I've really been working on it and my distance control has gotten WAY better which has, consequently, improved my reads.
DUDE! My SAM report at Club Champion was SO aggravating.

I went in looking for a fix... and the results were "incredibly consistent at being slightly incorrect" with limited real room for improvement regarding changing product.

UGH... I've got a putting green I need to spend a month on.

haha, I feel that!

My alignment has been pretty strong, but man... Where my eyes think the line is at address is trash. My range sessions have been more about seeing something two feet in front of the ball that is in line with my aim... Sometimes it blows my mind what I think is right...
I have to use that method too. I tend to line up way left if I trust my eyes, so I pick a spot a couple feet in front of the ball, line up to it, and don't even look back out at the real target. If I do, my mind thinks I'm lined up way right, I twist my upper body to the left to compensate, and all kinds of bad things happen from there.

I have to use that method too. I tend to line up way left if I trust my eyes, so I pick a spot a couple feet in front of the ball, line up to it, and don't even look back out at the real target. If I do, my mind thinks I'm lined up way right, I twist my upper body to the left to compensate, and all kinds of bad things happen from there.
I usually try and limit it to range sessions, because it can REALLY cripple me during a round. I'm a firm believer in taking what you have and committing to it once you've started a round.

Already hit a bunch of putts between meetings and am planning some iron work in my garage sim tonight

Been working on my swing and especially working on irons. Went to the range Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Just forcing some swing changes thru...means I'll hit some duds of course, but I can see it will be worth the work when I hit it pure...getting good trajectory and some solid distance on good strikes (better than I would normally see from my irons). I need to make sure to intersperse some other range work though, as well...the Driver is getting a little more inconsistent with such a focus on other clubs the last few weeks. That said...I'm going to use my irons/wedges/putters a lot more throughout a round of golf. I have hit the FW woods a bit, mixed in with the heavy iron focus...and it seems to be helping with those clubs as well. All in all...I've got to keep at it...but the progress is promising.

Well, not exactly a great practice day in my back yard setup. Seems this net is on its way out. Thank god I setup my kid's trampoline behind my hitting net or that 6i shot might have been in someone's bedroom a couple houses down. :oops:

20200601_203232.jpg

20200603_143737.jpg

Oh man it'd been months since I actually went and worked the range. Way overdue, and so much more fun because of it. Got to work on all the little things a guy feels during a round that hang with you despite good results. Started off my usual way by working on my absolute weakest things, so that was awesome for my self esteem. :cry: Was also swinging like an old man at first which is always great to have an automated voice tell you over and over again. lol Made the driver portion a little weird, and I ended up switching to a rogue white 60X and heavier head weight in my Sub Zero just to sort it out. Crazy with how well I've been swinging my driver lately. Body just didn't have it to go at first today.

Felt so good to just hit balls though. Really needed that. Got some good numbers to compare on some clubs and balls, worked my alignment and shot shapes, got in an absolute groove on this punchy spinner I've been working on (thank you mavrik pros for that idea), found an alignment thing that had been in the way of a reliable mid iron draw, and was finally getting some real good results on some stingers, so I quit while I was ahead on that and went to working wedges and finished feeling great.

Hadn't been through the bag since probably late February or early March and I need to not let that happen again.

I hit a bucket of balls at a grass range over lunch. It was not satisfying. My divots sucked - I was casting and hitting well behind the ball and digging deep divots. There was a head wind and I wasn’t reaching normal numbers and that made me swing harder, which did me no good. i was heel side and had an unusual for me weak fade ball flight. Blah, blah, blah

Last edited:
Well, not exactly a great practice day in my back yard setup. Seems this net is on its way out. Thank god I setup my kid's trampoline behind my hitting net or that 6i shot might have been in someone's bedroom a couple houses down. :oops:

View attachment 8946927

And 2 more holes. Looks like it's time to get replaced. Just when there is no stock anywhere. :banghead:

I hit a bucket of balls at a grass range over lunch. I was not satisfying. My divots sucked - I was casting and hitting well behind the ball and digging deep divots. There was a head wind and I wasn’t reaching normal numbers and that made me swing harder, which did me no good. i was heel side and had an unusual for e ball flight. Blah, blah, blah

I honestly feel sometimes like anyone that goes to the range and finds a head wind, should just go home. It's so hard to do any real work, and it gets in your head, and it usually just sucks. Yuck.

After my halted round and some work needs clean up, I was able to get in a practice time. Out of sorts today. I worked on finding swing cues that would give me good outcomes in spite of my unfocused funk. I think I made a little progress. It's a process.

I honestly feel sometimes like anyone that goes to the range and finds a head wind, should just go home. It's so hard to do any real work, and it gets in your head, and it usually just sucks. Yuck.

When it's a head wind, I give up on the idea on distance and focus on shaping shots or trying to hit a consistent shop shape. Head wind really amplifies it. Males it easier to see what kind 8f spin axis you are putting on the ball.

When it's a head wind, I give up on the idea on distance and focus on shaping shots or trying to hit a consistent shop shape. Head wind really amplifies it. Males it easier to see what kind 8f spin axis you are putting on the ball.
I get ya. I probably wouldn't be as bitter about it if we didn't already play in that constantly here. But we do, so we get schooled plenty on that, and it's the last thing I want at the range usually. I do think for most that wouldn't want to work on something like that though, that it can be counterproductive.

Lesson today. Cleaned up some things and worked on a few specific shots.

Brought driver back online in a big way.
Worked on stinger with 4i and flighting the ball down with all irons.
Tweaked my wedge play. I had gotten the ball forward and needed to keep my follow through lower.

Nice session. If I can bring these things to the course, I will have some seriously fun rounds.

I’m the most schizophrenic golfer ever

I’m always right. Well until I over compensate. Really need to devote some time to the range this week. I’ve made great strides lately, but honestly it would be much better with some time on the range and some sticks on the ground.

Got 90 minutes in at the range working on my swing and chipping. At some point it becomes counter productive due to me getting tired. That’s when I move to the chipping area and work on that. Then I got tired there as well. :( Time to rest a couple days. Well rest from swinging it’s now workout time.

Had 3 short game sessions this week, spent a lot of time with P, 48, 54, 62 and hitting three shots to each hole, one high, one mid, one low. Working to get my versatility back where it should be, and it’s part of why my scores dropped this week.

Also been practicing the super flop for fun, because after correcting alignment concepts I can finally manipulate and hold the face angles more.

Spent time this afternoon working on the alignment, mainly my left shoulder position. I am finding if I dont I hit a pull draw, once I adjust the position of my shoulde I am hitting a nice high slight draw 90% of the time

Will continue to work on it until it just comes naturally

Back