The THP Range/Practice Thread

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had a worse range session ever. I got a bucket of 70. I shanked my first 10 with my gap. Switched to pw and hit 10 more before hitting my first good shot. Slowly went down my clubs until my 5h where I finally hit a couple decent. Hit my 3w and had maybe 1 good shot out of 5. Switched to driver and was 50-50 decent with one good drove. Had 10 balls left and went back to wedges. Didn’t hit a single good shot. So frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting practice today. Nothing but putting. Took 3 flatsticks with me: the new Bettinardi Studio Stock 14, SC Futura X5 Dual balance, Odyssey EXO 7.
Had a putt off.
And the winner for the next few rounds
SC Futura X5
The new Bettinardi will be sidelined @fairwaynut LOL

Spent time today with a couple of baskets of balls just getting reaquainted with my clubs as they were just extended. Worked the whole bag and was pleasantly surprised with the results. A few hooks, a number of pushes, and about half of them either straight or slight draw. Did hit a few fat getting adjusted to new length. But very happy overall (my back not so much right now - haven't hit that many shots at one session in a few years.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

I tried to take a more aggressive approach to some shots today...instead of taking the easy (but less total yardage) fairways, I tried more over-tree launches out of the tee box (went 2-3 with that 3rd one not quite clearing) and a few 3/4 swing lob wedge shots onto the green...I think subconsciously, I dialed back a little on the LWs to make sure I got a good swing in since I was short of where I wanted to land...but I got the flight I wanted so I guess I can work that into the game more often...

Went across the street to the baseball field. The grass needs mowing.
my 50* was all over the place. It better get better by Wednesday

made a concerted effort to use the 56* inside of 70-80yds today...worked out pretty well. better spin on the ball. still not 100% completely comfortable with it but today was encouraging.

Made it one day without doing anything golf. Hit a couple of buckets of range balls and then chipped with my shag bag.

I am hitting the ball stupidly well. Center of face. Work the ball. Flight shots. I flushed 12 4irons in a row, off the deck; I use 4i as a good benchmark for how I'm swinging. I just don't get it. Baffling how I could hit so many poor shots Monday and then back to range and boom, boom, boom. Even before my round Monday warming up on the range I was striping the ball and then under pressure, poop toast. Put my range ball striking on a course with my C-rated short game, and I'm shooting mid-70s or better on most courses. Find a B or A short game, which happens from time to time, and oh yeah. I literally need a brain reboot. The game is there. Argh.

Range was still closed this morning after all the rain this week, so I spent a half hour on the putting green to start. It was a little hairy, but I did not put many good strokes on the ball today. I could not get the line rolling over itself as often as I'd liked to have. I think I rolled 5-7 good putts in 30 mins.

After that, about 20 mins with various wedges around the other practice green; confirmed what I already knew. I suck chipping with a 56* or 60* wedge and am much more comfortable with a 51* (or less) wedge.

Nothing..... didn’t even clean the clubs.
Watched open to close the Charles Schwab

Went to the range to try out my irons with the new Project X blackout shafts.... Perfect ball flight. Love it. So happy.

In my latest quest to create more club head speed, I spent the early, before sun up, morning hitting balls with my #2 Ironwood.

Probably hit 50-60 balls with it. Once warmed up, I would swing faster than I normally do, while trying to stay in balance. .

The first 15, or so ball flights were not pretty. Didn't expect them to be. All I was looking for was added distance.

My target was a thick trunk palm tree which I couldn't reach even with my driver. I had 180+/- yards I could work with safely.

Towards the end of my hour plus practice session, I started seeing some positive results, both in distance, and dispersion.

I figure it will take me a couple of months, maybe longer to be swinging faster in a comfortable, in balance manner. I just want the increased swing speed to be there naturally.

Once the sun got up a little ways, it was time to cruise on back home. By 6:00 am, I had already worked up a pretty good (humid) sweat. We are getting back into our triple digit days again. Don't want to over do it. I'm not in the cooler, high desert elevation any more. Have to give Mother Nature her due respect.

Went to hit balls today. After a lesson last week I need to learn to stand a little further from the ball I am told.
Tried this and had a few big huge cuts, cutting across the ball. Learned the set up nature needed and started to stripe a few 5I down the range in line.
felt good let’s see how it does on Sunday

Good range session. Strong wind from back and left to right. I put some time into low flight draws that held their line. Chipped for awhile.

Heading out again in an hour. A buddy is getting a fitting with Taylormade rep. I'll be there for moral support and general purpose geek mode. I should be able to hit during this session but don't know if I can sample the TM goods or not. I would love to hit the MG2 wedges. P790 UDI would be fun to explore.

plowed through a pyramid of balls at the range. i hit every iron in the bag, as well as some 50y wedges, and a handful of drives. trying to work on the feels from my last lesson. definitely promising. i could do one move, and the other, but struggled with both in the same swing. it’s a process but i was encouraged.

I hit a variety of clubs today, and pulled out the swing speed radar for a portion.

D: 98, 100, 98, 101
3/4-fwy: 96, 97, 96
2/3-hyb: 96, 95, 105 (and it's flight was glorious)
6i: 91, 86, 78 (fat)
PW: 60, 71, 68, 67

15-20 swings where you figure something out is my kind of range session.

Seeing the kids hit some good shots was icing on the cake.

I had the chipping/pitching green to myself this morning. Also the maintained bunker next to it.

Hit well over 100 shots from distances up to 40 yards to the green.

This included 20 yard sand shots to the practice green. The maintenance guy, using his tractor, worked the bunker sand over while I was there.

Also hit shots from the four different uneven lies using the grassy hill next to the bunker.

I hit so many balls that my swings started breaking down causing poor shots. I was losing focus, and becoming lazy. That's when I knew it was time to quit.

I actually have a lesson tomorrow at 2 pm with the pro at Highland Springs. Now that I am healthy for the first time in 2 years it’s time to stop making excuses and start hitting the ball well again.
Good news is I am coming in on a 17 handicap for the next month 😈

I actually have a lesson tomorrow at 2 pm with the pro at Highland Springs. Now that I am healthy for the first time in 2 years it’s time to stop making excuses and start hitting the ball well again.
Good news is I am coming in on a 17 handicap for the next month

You are a beaut. 17 handicap.

Good news is I am coming in on a 17 handicap for the next month 😈
Love seeing you back to playing again.
Been out injured for almost 3 years myself. Just started practicing again 10 days ago. I blame Cookie. Got out with him two weeks ago and had a blast. No pain and felt good swinging the club again.
Got a membership at a course a week and a half ago very close to work that I can practice at everyday. Been at the range 7 times of the last 11 days. Very excited with what I'm seeing already. Just need to get in the reps to strengthen the back and left wrist. Hope to surprise some people this next weekend.

Headed to the range today and promptly developed a dose of the hosel rockets :eek:

I was coming way over the top on the downswing and cutting across my target line, resulting in striking the ball on the hosel

Once I started swinging through the bll down the target line they prompty went away. Have to work harder on this for a few days though now to get rid of them completley

Hit a few balls in the field, but wow they need to mow that grass. Thought I was hitting from the rough LOL

I went to the range today and some of the stations were out of balls so I went to one that had a decent amount left. A guy sets up in the station next to me and proceeds to pull a ball off my stack and hit it. No problem, balls are free, but I would have asked "would you mind if I grab some balls?" So me, being the good guy I am, I push some of the balls off my stack over onto his station, guy doesn't say thanks just keeps hitting. He hits through those and proceeds to pull one ball off my stack one at a time and turn around and hit it. Now, every time he pulled a ball off the stack I was over my ball preparing to hit and I would see his club come into my view as he pulled each ball away one by one. Guy never said a word and it was the weirdest range experience I've ever had.

I went to the range today and some of the stations were out of balls so I went to one that had a decent amount left. A guy sets up in the station next to me and proceeds to pull a ball off my stack and hit it. No problem, balls are free, but I would have asked "would you mind if I grab some balls?" So me, being the good guy I am, I push some of the balls off my stack over onto his station, guy doesn't say thanks just keeps hitting. He hits through those and proceeds to pull one ball off my stack one at a time and turn around and hit it. Now, every time he pulled a ball off the stack I was over my ball preparing to hit and I would see his club come into my view as he pulled each ball away one by one. Guy never said a word and it was the weirdest range experience I've ever had.

I would've moved. People like that really grind my gears.

Back