The THP Range/Practice Thread

Went to the range to work on my iron changes a little. It's going to cost me a little yardage while I get it grooved, but I think it's going to be worth it in the end. Some really promising shots and laser-like accuracy when I'm lined up right and hit my position. Also worked on my driver swing which has suddenly gone haywire and think I got it sorted. Still a little flat though, so I switched to a 10.5* Sub Zero head to get a little altitude. Looked good.

Mixed bag for me at the range tonight. Some good. Some crap. Finished on some high notes though and had a good short game practice after taking my full swings. Good chipping and some great putting. Ready to play some golf this weekend....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got three swings in yesterday before I felt a twinge in the muscle on the right side of my neck. I shut it it down as I'm playing tomorrow morning. Let's see how fast this old body can heal!!

Practiced with all 4 wedges this morning, hitting shots up to 80 yards, which was all the room I had to work with.

Since the short game area does not have flag pins right now, I used some of those 1' foot high orange cones for targets.

1/4-1/2-3/4, full swings, and flop shots were the focus this morning, along minimal dispersion. Main focus was hitting my landing area targets. Hit about 80+/- balls.

Everything was hit off real turf, with some lies being a little on the thin side.

Also saw a little increase in distance, which is a good think

The course is filling up for the holiday weekend. Might have to change my practice location due to over crowding..

Went to the local range this afternoon as it had just opened up again after being closed due to Covid

Only took my 7i and 52* wedge as I wanted to get a feel of how the new clubs played.

Not sure if its the grips, shafts or lie, but my draw has now gone and a little baby fade has replaced it. Have to say I much prefer the baby fade as its so easy to aim for

First session with the new sticks and I like them a lot

Got a competition on Sunday where I will see just how they perform, its a 4 Ball Better Ball so a good opportunity to give them a proper outing

I’ve been working on my swing plane and ball striking. Just started using this Flatball disc and it seems to be helping. Four swings with the Flatball followed by one with a real ball and the real ball is flushed each time. Anyone else try these?493BA516-E08A-40D2-9DA4-E3955F74EC3E.jpeg39B3ABF9-67EA-4791-AE4A-54E0F08CCF14.jpeg

I’ve been working on my swing plane and ball striking. Just started using this Flatball disc and it seems to be helping. Four swings with the Flatball followed by one with a real ball and the real ball is flushed each time. Anyone else try these?View attachment 8951902View attachment 8951903

I have not tried these, but you have peaked my interest. I'll have to take a look into these.

I have not tried these, but you have peaked my interest. I'll have to take a look into these.
They are pretty cool to because you can hit them anywhere. They are soft and won’t fly to far. I think I got em at DSG for about $10BB804898-DB3E-433F-904F-659607708113.jpeg4922857B-4D7C-4AA9-AE15-D4585A13ADB6.jpeg

Gonna head to the range after some lunch to see how this G410 hits. I'll return with some feedback - hopefully good feedback!

Well, all I have to say is WOW. This thing is amazing. I would definitely say this driver is forgiving. Even severe heel/toe hits go decently straight and when you hit just right, look out! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the Tensei Orange 60 shaft, but I think it fits me well. It's shorter than my previous shaft, which helps with my accuracy. I might hit the range again tomorrow to dial in a little more. Overall, very happy with this driver and think it will be in my bag for a while.

5FE1FC14-9643-4601-93A9-BC7F07FE87B1_1_105_c.jpeg

Did another short session with the flat ball. Every swing at a real ball was center flush. Will it transfer to the course? Time will tell. But I like the feedback I’m getting with it at home.

It feels like my issues are mostly in my head because I’m striking the ball great right now. But I know I gave up strokes around the green. I recently went from my 52* to my 9i to chip and there are some growing pains. Working on chipping and putting in the living room to improve my feel.
7C713327-055E-4DD3-BD28-0FF2FBAE1854.jpeg

Well, today's was much better than last Monday, though it wouldn't have taken much to surpass that effort. Still shanked 2 or 3, but that's better than shanking 2 out of every 3, right?

These are interesting...
I’m interested to see how it translates. So far they seem to be working for me. Shrinking down the target has improved my ball striking significantly on the mat when I do hit a ball. Oddly enough I think I’ve averaged one miss a day hitting the Flat Ball. I bought these when I first started playing but only recently started using them.

I’m interested to see how it translates. So far they seem to be working for me. Shrinking down the target has improved my ball striking significantly on the mat when I do hit a ball. Oddly enough I think I’ve averaged one miss a day hitting the Flat Ball. I bought these when I first started playing but only recently started using them.
I can see how would make a guy focus more. Kind of like the irons you chose. Visually, they're small heel-to-toe for their class and force you to focus on contact, even though they're as forgiving as anything else.

I can see how would make a guy focus more. Kind of like the irons you chose. Visually, they're small heel-to-toe for their class and force you to focus on contact, even though they're as forgiving as anything else.
Very much so. The irons the fitter told me I needed I could not stand to look at. Now it seems like I’m drawn to the smaller irons. I think it force‘a focus and the hand eye coordination.

Another range day to try and get the G410 dialed in. It was an "ok" day at the range. Wind was blowing at a good click so it was as if every swing I was trying to fight the winds direction, but hey, I guess today was practice for windy conditions. Got a round booked for tomorrow at a beautiful course. My G410's maiden voyage!

Another great session with the Flat Ball. This time I was hitting a club that I’m not very consistent with. Results had the golf ball flying back out of the net at me. Good stuff. Think I may take a couple of them to the course on game day. Warm up with them.

Another great session with the Flat Ball. This time I was hitting a club that I’m not very consistent with. Results had the golf ball flying back out of the net at me. Good stuff. Think I may take a couple of them to the course on game day. Warm up with them.

Are you hitting these on carpet, grass, mats?

Are you hitting these on carpet, grass, mats?
Mats currently. But I feel I could hit em on the range as well. It’s not real busy in the morning. I could also hit em in the chipping area because they don’t go more than about 25 feet. You could do carpet if you wanted but it may be a bit harsh.

I'm trying to simplify my takeaway and when it works it feels great but my brain wants to keep going back to my previous takeaway which is much more inconsistent.

Got in my living room <10ft chipping and putting drills. Chipping with the 9i, 52*, and 60*

Spent an hour at the range this morning to try and work on my swing. Only hit 60 balls but think I figured a few things out so will see if it translates to the course tomorrow

Went from hitting weak fades to high draw bombs like I was seeing last year, so I am feeling much more confident again

And all it took was a slight adjustment to my setup..... Looks like I had got too narrow at address - widened my stance which just allowed me to feel much more comfortable and swing freely through the ball and hit the shots I wanted

Some days, minus a few shots, the best option seems to be quitting.

Back