The THP Range/Practice Thread

Nice practice session today during a break in the rain. Worked on swing tempo at the range. As an exercise I purposely tried to have the slowest tempo I could keep in sync with a full swing. Putting practice is actually becoming fun. I've been getting into trouble by losing track of time on the practice green. I don't know what happened to that other mtcowdog. He would never do that.

Need to get back to a chipping green if I am going to play much more this year. Proximity to the hole from greenside yesterday was BRUTAL

So it's time to start learning to swing a driver. I'm getting much more consistent with my 5W off the tee. Since I play more forward tees, hitting 220-240 works well. But if I ever want to move back I need to start with a driver. So I found a good deal on a new Rouge SZ with PX Evenflow 6.0/65 S shaft. Now to learn to hit it. My current issue is should I just unleash it on the range? The course that I may a monthly fee to use the rage at, has a second rarely used range at the back end of the main range. there is also a hole on the course that comes close to that area with out netting. If the range is fully back it is 275 yards. Since it's real grass, the hitting line is generally much further up shortening it to under 230.

What's the proper thing to do, what until the range is near the back position and you don't see anyone in the kill zone. Chances are I'm not hitting it any where close to a danger spot. But worry if I really slice one it could wander onto the course. Or find some place else to work on contact?

One day I go to the range and hit the ball perfectly, the next day, like today way awful. I'm not far from quitting the game all together.

I'm currently really appreciating how much better graphite shafted irons feel after a practice session. I also am enjoying the fact that I've given up no accuracy with the graphite shafts on short game partial swing shots with my PW and AW

Range story. I was hitting a bucket and an older guy next to me kept eyeing me and my clubs. He eventually walked over and said, "which Pings are you playing?" As he got close he said, "oh, those are Mizuno." I laughed, and we talked a little. He's 80, gets fit at Ping HQ every couple of years, prefers Callaway woods, and hits a very consistent ball with every club (i210 irons, btw). I am pretty sure he would kick my butt on the course. We talked a bit about gear, and then poof he was gone. Loved that guy. Meeting him was my lesson for the day.

big shout out roger f'ing cleveland. i have been listening to some recent callaway podcasts with him, and that man can make even a moron like i am understand short game. his description of the bounce as a "skid plate" just clicked with me today. i've also been leaning the handle forward quite a bit and having to open the face a lot to engage the bounce, so i reduced that shaft lean a little and saw much better contact. i'm still focused on the techniques discussed with my instructor, but this skid plate visual was really helpful.

Maybe my best divots ever from a range session

ac5cd149c31317f8602fafab24c7ea5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a few days ago my oldest had a group lesson, so i bugged out of work early to hit balls next to him.

i got a large bucket and split my time between 7i and 60. just working on my new swing. hit a position with shaft parallel to the ground by turning torso instead of just arms, then fold right arm, then stop at the top, then use lower body to initiate downswing.

hardest part right now is that pause at the top. when i do it, the contact is really excellent.

7i for the most part was pretty good. there was a strong headwind, so hard to gauge distance. but it was just about the swing, not distance.

60 was a disaster though. lots of heavy contact. hard pulls. just no rhythm or consistency at all.

i think i’ll be able to get back out today before the rain comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm hitting balls on the range prepping for "guy's weekend 2019" and hit my HL4 4iw about a dozen times in a row great/straight of the tee.

I think I'm finally going to play "smart" for at least one of the rounds and hit 4iw of the tee and be in play, likely in the fairway, 200-220 on every hole and see how it goes without 5-6 penalties in a round......

Welp. Cannot take the frustration anymore. Scheduled my first ever golf lesson for tomorrow. :oops:

Great range session yesterday, got some practice with my new wedge, which really pissed me off in my last round because I must've duffed 6 or 7 chips

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

oh for crying out loud

hitting the ball as consistently as I ever have

beauty push draw

3 wood is being a monster for me

and it's the start of monsoon season

:mad:

Hit a few 6i shots into the field behind my house. Worked on keeping my right arm better connected and slowing down the tempo and swing speed. Slowing everything down seems to help me finish more on my lead foot. Hit just as far as when I try to swing out of my shoes and with better dispersion/consistency. Why I can't remember or am unable to do this on the course is beyond me.

Heading to the range a bit this evening trying to get rid of what either seems mental or an ugly habit I've picked up with my swing of late. I can't even begin to count how many balls off the hosel and can't understand what I am doing. I've found myself thinking prior to the swing drive through the ball and lets not shank it and I do exactly that...shank it. So frustrated and I have to believe the fellas sitting on the patio behind the range had to be entertained.

Help....

Lunch time range session completed @Canadan As you can see by my mood over there unfortunately I am not completely cured after just one lesson. It's going to be a struggle it seems for the foreseeable future. Though I only hit el hosel on 3 of 68 balls they were still there. Thanks to the lesson I took on Tuesday I am starting to understand why it keeps happening (I think) I actually tried to recreate the swing that causes it on purpose so I could feel the difference. The current fix or swing thought has me hitting lots of draws with my irons, I guess thats ok just not used to it. I suspect there are several other underlying issues that have caused my ball striking to go down the drain this past year but will keep at it till I can play like I'm capable of again.

Lunch time range session completed @Canadan As you can see by my mood over there unfortunately I am not completely cured after just one lesson. It's going to be a struggle it seems for the foreseeable future. Though I only hit el hosel on 3 of 68 balls they were still there. Thanks to the lesson I took on Tuesday I am starting to understand why it keeps happening (I think) I actually tried to recreate the swing that causes it on purpose so I could feel the difference. The current fix or swing thought has me hitting lots of draws with my irons, I guess thats ok just not used to it. I suspect there are several other underlying issues that have caused my ball striking to go down the drain this past year but will keep at it till I can play like I'm capable of again.
Repetition bro..

It's going to come around, you've got a great swing.

worst day of golf practice since i can remember. i need to hit the reset button cuz it’s not very fun right now and i’m getting too many negative vibes in my head.

worst day of golf practice since i can remember. i need to hit the reset button cuz it’s not very fun right now and i’m getting too many negative vibes in my head.

That is not fun. Been there myself a number of times.
I jump into golf talk about courses, gear, etc and take a few days off.

That is not fun. Been there myself a number of times.
I jump into golf talk about courses, gear, etc and take a few days off.

so true, my friend. so. f’ing. true.

i’m gonna clean the clubs. shoot them the bird. then tuck them away til my trip next week to play with some thp’ers who are some of the best people i’ve ever met. in the meantime, i will continue to enjoy this incredible new forum, watch some golf, and enjoy all the positivity life has shown to me this year.

Went to the range today to try and figure out why my driver was ballooning so bad half way through my round Sunday. Hit about 30 balls and was getting pretty frustrated when the coach/ owner of the range came walking by, without even stopping he said" Move the ball 3" forward in your stance and try it", welp, popped that ballooning driving right there! Sure pays to have a good Coach to help out when things go south. I hadn't noticed anything different about my set-up but he picked up on it in one glance.:)

Reactions: JB
Back