The THP Range/Practice Thread

I cleared snow off a patch of ground today and hit a few with the 6 iron. Frustrating. After a bit of success this winter trying to ingrain proper weight shift, I fell back to old habits just like that. It seems like hitting a golf ball from off my back foot just comes so natural that I can't seem to shake it. Been working on it for years with each year bringing just enough confidence to provide a glimmer of hope. The reality is that even a simple mental change like this is an uphill battle for me. And now the self-doubt starts to creep in, followed by the "why TF am I putting effort into this again" thoughts.

Oh well... I can't let a single setback get to me. Just got to keep at it.

An encouraging 30 mins hitting the 60* out in the yard this afternoon. It followed a discouraging 15 mins hitting the 56*. :confused2:

After a warm up period, I hit 56, 8i shots. Mostly just for full swing exercise.

After that, I took some putting practice.

Being a Saturday, the course was pretty busy. Open practice areas were limited.

My home course has heated bays and TopTracer, so I can practice all winter, as well as play some virtual golf if I want to.

Well...

This little Mizuno Experience thing means golf boot camp is going to have to get really....real.

Speed training and golf workouts begin tomorrow for me, and will begin looking for a new instructor.

The chase for 170 is back on...again. :ROFLMAO:

Oh well... I can't let a single setback get to me. Just got to keep at it.
Hit a few this morning. Concentrated on continuing the follow-through and hip rotation after contact... more of a swinging-through-the-ball type of feeling. Also focused on a more controlled tempo. Much better results with the weight shift. The resulting contact was good and ball flight was all over the place, but because that wasn't the concern, I felt pretty good about accomplishing the goal and getting back on track.

Does anyone else feel bit bi-polar at times about practice/improvement?

Worked on hand position at the top of my back swing and at impact today. Also, working on keeping the grip a but more neutral. I'll be working on this once a week for the next four weeks at the indoor sim. I started casting a bit again, and my face angle is slightly off resulting is some pull hooks.

Weather finally improved enough here to get back to the heated range after a few weeks. Pretty happy with the progress on the swing changes. Have been working a lot on keeping my trail foot down until impact and keeping the hips from spinning out on the downswing. Getting close to having the changes ingrained nicely. Seems to have helped eliminate the left miss I was dealing with the last few years. Excited for this year of golf.

Midsection feels like I was a body shot dummy for a boxer... I took waaay too many swings yesterday trying to fix a new to me inside out swing.

Worked on hand position more today. It is becoming more natural, but still a lot of work ahead of me.
I beat the snot out of the ball with my driver and 3 wood too. So that was fun.

Another long sim range session yesterday. This new swing and slice is killing me inside! Working on bringing the club back more upright and then kind of anchoring my trail elbow to my side to flatten the downswing. Will it work? I don’t know! I kind of want to go back to my uber flat swing 😓

Finally got my simulator up and running. Had a good session this morning. Did the skills assessment and was a bit eye opening as I was weaker in areas I didn't see as weak and stronger in areas I felt like were my weakest areas. Always nice to see the data and how it correlates with what your brain believes.

There was just enough bare ground to practice chipping. Gap wedge allowed for pretty consistent contact but the 60° is going to be a bit tougher to learn. I don't think there's as much of a margin of error with that club. But boy, the results sure are nice when I do execute. I also took a few full swings with each and the same thing. The gap wedge was money and the lob wedge was about 2-1 good contact vs poor.

Spent a good bit of work in the garage sim tonight and hope all the work carries over to the course!!

My home course has heated bays, along with TopTracer, so I can hit balls all winter, get some numbers, and also play some virtual golf. I go almost every day.

Went to the range for a couple hours yesterday and basically just worked on contact. Mid irons have been abysmal as of late, so I removed a good amount of turf until that wasn't a thing anymore. Feels like I'm holding onto it too long and then the utter panic of being too under, frantic attempt to release it to get the clubhead back out on plane and nope.

Continued to work on my wedge game today both with chipping and partial to full swings.

Good session in my garage tonight working a lot on partial swings with wedges

Ok trackman... not sure how this was programmed but was it was VERY generous
20210302_201100.jpg

I am ramping up my practice getting ready for an April start to the season. I will put in about 5 hrs/week on sims plus putting practice on a mat.

Swing has come along nicely. Keep club outside hands on takeaway and initiate downswing with legs-hips and good shots happen. I still have an earlier release that I want to change. When I get tired or lazy some nasty moves and uglier strikes can surface, but my biggest issue right now is that I am confident and get too creative in shot making. But for some reason I love working the ball. I will keep at it.

Short game outside of putting is a strength. Lots of room to improve, of course, but I can rely on this aspect of my game.

Putting is a variable hot mess. I need consistency and confidence. Working on it. If I can putt with average skill, my hc will drop a couple of strokes. A robust <5 is right there if I can putt. But I have a ways to go. I am fairly certain that to this day I have never played a round without multiple 3-putts. A putter change based on Sam lab is hopefully starting me on a better track. Armlock is on the shelf for now given that sam lab did not approve. 😬

Putting, putting, putting.... BirdieBall putting mat along with the PuttOut Pressure Putt trainer.... making decent progress. Working on a more smooth and consistent stroke.

Started out with very short putts 2-3 feet, and working my way back one foot at a time, to 10-12 footers. I only move back another foot, or so, once I'm holing at least 80% at a given length. I continue to work on the shorter putts as well to maintain competency and not lose the feel. I'm going to be adding some of the contour shims as well to work on breaking putts, once confident in my straight putts... Hope it all translates to better on-course putting.

Can't wait to get out there and hit driver.... that's where i need the most work, just haven't had the time...

Instructor had me doing something for 3 hrs early in the transition. Some bad habit that needs to leave my swing to zero out the club path and not get it stuck inside. It's like an over the top move that isn't because the lower body starts first ..

Last edited:
swinging in my living room up here in cold MA. Instructor has me really working on swinging inside out and hands at impact. Trying to also keep wide arc and not too long on backswing which is a terrible habit i get into. Had a good run in middle of last year then fell into bad habits with backswing and over the top move

Had another lesson today and worked on driver. Tried something different and man the results were dramatic. I tend to spray my driver all over the place when my timing is off. My teacher had me lock my left elbow in place and swing that way. I piped every single drive. I didn’t hit it as far because it feels awkward as hell but man it was super straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another warm night called for another range trip20210304_170639.jpg

Back