The THP Range/Practice Thread

My course charges member for range balls. At my old place, I used to be able to just pound balls to work out whatever swing issues I had. Not able to do that anymore for free, I don't do it. My iron game, which was once my strength, is now the worst part of my game. Its time to go find an instructor and get lessons. I'm also about two or three rounds on our terrible course away from joining somewhere else at great increased expense. Of course, I've been talking about leaving since we moved to this course, and the only reason I'm there is because the game I play in. You know its bad when the best thing you can say if someone asks about your home course is, "The new cart paths are real nice." I wonder if hating the course and the condition its in contributes to my abysmal play.

At the end of the day what rang true was swinging the club back with a right pinky overlap grip.

Last edited:
Got some good work in at the range tonight.. mainly working on half swings

Been trying to get out for at least 30 minutes every night. Last night I was out for about an hour in some pretty strong winds. Started off with driver trying to figure out a way to diminish the slice with that club. I then hit the 6i and since I was hitting into that strong wind, decided to vary the flight. Never really tried it with a long irons but to my surprise, was able to keep the flight lower by shortening up the backswing and follow through. Finished off the practice with about a half hour of wedges from different distances and lies.

Tonight was the 3h for a few full swings and then more work with the wedges.

The more I work on the short game, the more I realize how far away I am from bogey golf. While becoming more precise would be nice, I need to simply make good contact on a regular basis. One thing I'm realizing is that the longer my swing is, the more chance of shanking or blading the ball. I have a lot to learn about when to pull which wedge. I also worked on flighting shots instead of taking full swings and can see some benefits from learning that skill.

I have a lot of old habits to break - some of which have been helpful in the past. But if I don't improve this part of the game, I have no chance of gaining back lost strokes from a full swing and putting that cost me plenty.

I miss hitting fades. I improved my swing fundamentals over the winter, and every shot now has some right to left, even when I feel like I am swinging on a neutral path. Fine. I hit center or near center on the vast majority of strikes, and that was a big part of the swing change goal. But lines and control are harder so far. I am not far off, but in golf a few yards can make a big difference. I landed several approach shots on the back left edge of firm early season greens and watched my ball bounce into difficult up and down situations. I also don't visualize right to left very well yet. With driver, I am not sure where I want to start my lines. Edging out right takes a force of will. Last year, my swing may have had more flaws, but gosh those fades were reliable. One, I need to control this right to left shot shape better. Two, I need to figure out how to hit fades again when I want them. Basically, working on face to path is the answer to both.

And then chipping. Hitting off mats on sims all winter, I slipped right into the amateur golfer trap of grabbing the low bounce 60* for everything. On the firm, still frozen ground with tight, short thick grass, that was not the answer. I need to spend some time chipping with less loft. It would also help if I hadn't sold my trusty 50* wedge (thought I would have a new set with an AW by now -- oops).

But as I say with golf. Yee ha, I love working on my game. I get the biggest kick out of the challenge of golf. Let's do this. :love:

Been trying to get out for at least 30 minutes every night. Last night I was out for about an hour in some pretty strong winds. Started off with driver trying to figure out a way to diminish the slice with that club. I then hit the 6i and since I was hitting into that strong wind, decided to vary the flight. Never really tried it with a long irons but to my surprise, was able to keep the flight lower by shortening up the backswing and follow through. Finished off the practice with about a half hour of wedges from different distances and lies.

Tonight was the 3h for a few full swings and then more work with the wedges.

The more I work on the short game, the more I realize how far away I am from bogey golf. While becoming more precise would be nice, I need to simply make good contact on a regular basis. One thing I'm realizing is that the longer my swing is, the more chance of shanking or blading the ball. I have a lot to learn about when to pull which wedge. I also worked on flighting shots instead of taking full swings and can see some benefits from learning that skill.

I have a lot of old habits to break - some of which have been helpful in the past. But if I don't improve this part of the game, I have no chance of gaining back lost strokes from a full swing and putting that cost me plenty.
I feel you, I have gone through a month on full transformation on my swing. Old habits are hard to break but we will make it happen.
Tomorrow my first test.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Some of the poor iron play that has shown up on the course has finally reared it's ugly head during my practices - which is really a blessing in disguise. I'm definitely more apt to hit towards the heel of the club face than the toe. Tonight I worked on keeping weight a bit more on my heels and it seemed to work to some extent.

One thing that seems consistent from year to year are the periods of better than average ball striking followed by a complete collapse. I'm going to try and prevent that - or at least try to reduce it this year. Tonight I started to change my swing a little after hitting a series of poor shots. I then stopped myself and went back to what had been working so well. I have to be ok finishing a practice session when I failed to figure something out.

Even though the season is very young, there have been so many small successes that my confidence is higher than it's been in a long time. But that self-doubt is never very far out of sight and it seems with each year the urge to say f*** it becomes easier.

Last edited:
Was hitting some 100 yd 56* shots today to get ready to start golfing again on Sunday. First round 7/10 within 20 ft. Next 5/10 but trying different shot shapes. Then it went downhill and was hitting 3-4 out of 10 straight right and low. Some of the others were close but the shanks were very annoying. Not sure if I was pulling lead hip out early, gonna have to correct

Been working on the longer clubs this week - specifically the 6i, 4h, 3h. Feels like I'm chasing a moving target.

As always, working on my iron game, which continues to be erratic at best. I try not to hit more than 10 drivers in a session, unless it's been really off. I tend to use the driver as a tool to find tempo at the range.
Struggling with 9-GW the most due to flipping, I think.
Iron play used to be a strength for me, but lately it's been hideous. Need to find some confidence again.

Lesson/fitting today. Ended up working on grip and my active right hand. I have homework drills to work on. Taking the left miss out of play would be nice.

Fitting was with the Titleist driver heads. He really wants me in the Tsi4. I can get some good results, but that's not exactly a forgiving head. Shaft options were limited. Fun to explore. I'm sticking with my previous plans.

Worked on pitching and chipping for a half hour today. Was pretty happy with distance and direction control from 40 yards and in. Also hit a few 6i shots.

First swings in a month at the range this morning -- 8i and 3W. Nothing fat! Directional consistency was non-existent, though. It just felt good to get some swings in.

I've seen and read it often but there really may be something to not opening the club face in the back swing. Tough to close the face once you open it, especially when you're trying to swing faster.

This morning it was just faster swing practice at the range. Small basket, maybe 50 balls.

Warmed up with a nice, and easy 6i, before going to the range. Once feeling good, I pulled my 2i, and 4i out of my second bag.

Once at the range, and a few more warm up swings, it was time to see what I could do about adding some more swing speed.

Surprisingly I hit quite a few good shots with both clubs. Of course there were also a few, not so good ball flights too. Some were just plain ugly. No hand jarring mishits anyways.

Back in the day, my 2 ironwood was a great club for me.

This is my new quest for 2021...adding more swing speed to my game. I have the extra speed in me. I just need to quit being lazy, and dig it out. I've been comfortable long enough.

Took out the 3h and SW today and hit a few.

This is a strange game for sure. My normal mishit with a hybrid is to top it. So I purposely think hit down as a band-aid fix. Well, this afternoon I started hitting it fat instead. After a few shots of mixed contact, I "found" my swing and just started striping shots with that club - probably 15-20 in a row.

I think those who play this game well are able to recognize and remember what works and then apply that swing on a more regular basis - or at least not drift to far from it. Whether it's today, tomorrow, or whenever, I'll go back out to my practice area or the course and think all I have to do is use that swing that was so successful Thursday night. But too often I won't be able to get it back.

If there's anything positive about this year so far, it's that the actual swing on the ball feels more like my practice swing. I haven't taken any video to confirm that, but if so it would be the only time ever doing that.

My swing errors have moved from my driver (of last year) into my iron and wedge game. I am unofficially plagued by trash, and it is a combination or infuriating, devastating, and humiliating. I genuinely do not remember the last time I have felt this broken.

I know what it is. I know what I need to do. I just need to find a way to get it done, and I am not sure I will play another round until it's gone.

This sounds like a swing overhaul, and honestly? It might have to be.

I wanted to try out my new hybrids, the Ping G425s and I think they're great. I got a large bucket. I never get a large bucket, but I've lost distance. I'm losing range of motion. This was "Hulk Smash" day. I didn't really care about form. I cared about club head speed and range of motion. Of course, I warmed up thoroughly. I fought through the pain. Those hybrids are a lot more forgiving than the irons. Then I took out my driver and smashed 25. I also changed my driver grip - I went to an interlock with it for stability - the regripping stopped. After the first couple I started hitting straightish bombs. Sure there was the slice thrown in... and the following hook. But mostly straightish. Then I went to my 4H and smoked it. All good there. Then my 8i and had my old iron shots back. I needed to loosen up the joints and give the muscles a good workout. Today, I'm feeling it in my left knee.

You know you can tell when you hit fat. You listen for the thud and click. If the thud and click are together you did it right. If you hear thud-click it's fat.

Oh my goodness, I finally got the garage cleared so I could set up the skytrak again. And then I went nuts yesterday and today with 2 sim rounds and looong practice sessions. I’m working on maybe shortening the iron swing and short game. Called it a night after this great trio of shots from 70 yards.
2D293A67-FAB7-47B3-A748-F07D51F4CBCC.png

Hit a bucket of balls on the range and then some time chipping and putting. I hate the cliche, but I think I worked out some things at the root of my recent poor scoring. Playing this afternoon. Real data incoming. :rolleyes:

Doing an early set seems to keep me on plane.

Worked on the full swing with the 8i and 6i today. Felt a bit more in control than I did during the last round. Also worked on partial approach shots with the PW.

Trying to work on in to out swing path. played 18 yesterday and got the path good but blocking and pushing everything right. Not slicing but just right, which means I am not closing the face at impact. got to get out to driving range and correct. Wasn't a terrible day yesterday but makes it hard to score well when you are under trees or have to get around a dogleg etc. Same ball all 18 so not too far off but far enough.

Spent about 45 minutes after work this evening. Contact with the 6i was decent, the SW felt great and the little bit of work I did trying to eliminate the 2-way miss with the driver was encouraging. Distance may suffer a bit, but keeping the ball in play is well worth it.

Golf is hard, today's practice range thought.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Back