The THP Range/Practice Thread

Finally got back to a practice session tonight. 25 wedge shots using the Plane Mate. Then moving on to 30 shots with the irons. Only half swings working on path and center face contact.

This morning's round turned into more of a practice where I focused on hip rotation on the downswing. I continued that this afternoon hitting into the field at home.

Certain key moves seem to be getting closer to more natural or automatic (no need to think about it) but it's easy to revert to bad habits.

My last two range visits Saturday and today were resounding successes. Both times the swing sequencing I’ve been working on melted together. I’m tentative to say it’s ‘grooved’ because if it doesn’t happen on the course it doesn’t matter.

I’m going to play 18 on Tuesday so I’m going to find out. If I do finally have a grooved swing down I’ll be ecstatic. Then I can move on to shaping instead of just hitting everything straight ahead.

Thanks to @Tevenor I've got a new drill to incorporate to help me with a bad habit in my downswing. Thank you again Sean!!!

Another backyard session after work today. Maybe a bit to fast of pace today. It’s an issue I seem to have when practicing. Need to slow myself down a bit and find the quality over quantity.

Range-ing today. Lots of testing off mats, and playing on sore parts, has my tempo, transition, and turn way out of whack. Time to reign it in.

Another great range visit today. This time I got the bigger bucket (100 ish balls). I went up and down through all my clubs again to better understand my distances. When I got the distance I expected out of a club I would hit it 5 more times to get the feel of the proper swing size and speed. It felt good.

Out of the 100ish balls there were only 6 that were what I would consider 'bad/unplayable' hits. A couple of hosel rockets and toe hits. My consistency is feeling really good right now. I really gotta just start working on my short game but to be honest I'm not necessarily looking forward to it.

Still looking for the reason why I have so much trouble controlling the club face. I've been trying some different things in the evening at slow motion but I cannot find any sort of cause or pattern.
On the course, what feels like the same swing will produce wildly different results. Same thing tonight hitting out into the field. I finally gave up and just went back to my normal 6i swing and started hitting nice long, straight shots. Does it matter that I was finishing off balance? Probably. It was one of those practices that wasn't very beneficial. It's getting to that part of the season when it's easier to start accepting the way things are and knowing it's not from lack of effort or thought.

Still looking for the reason why I have so much trouble controlling the club face. I've been trying some different things in the evening at slow motion but I cannot find any sort of cause or pattern.
On the course, what feels like the same swing will produce wildly different results. Same thing tonight hitting out into the field. I finally gave up and just went back to my normal 6i swing and started hitting nice long, straight shots. Does it matter that I was finishing off balance? Probably. It was one of those practices that wasn't very beneficial. It's getting to that part of the season when it's easier to start accepting the way things are and knowing it's not from lack of effort or thought.
If I can make a suggestion. Focus on making sure the back of your lead hand is pointing down the target line as the clubhead goes through the impact zone. If you are simply inconsistent on closing the face this will give you a consistent starting line for your iron shots ASSUMING you grip the club the same way on each shot. Now they might be going consistently right or left, but if that is happening, now you just need to strengthen or weaken your grip to consistently square it up.

If focusing on getting the back of your lead hand down the line doesn't produce a consistent starting line, you need to look at a few other things.

1. An inconsistent path. For right handed players this would look like balls starting left will tend to slice and balls starting way right will tend to draw back.

2. Inconsistent ball then ground contact combined with an improper lie angle on your irons. If you chunk it and the toe of your iron is in the air the face will quickly close as it crashes into the ball causing a hook or dead pull. If you chunk it and the toe comes in contact with the ground first the club face will open causing a slice or push.

3. Inconsistent ball position and/or weight shift. Ball position and weight shift both impact path and clubhead direction at impact.

If I can make a suggestion. Focus on making sure the back of your lead hand is pointing down the target line as the clubhead goes through the impact zone. If you are simply inconsistent on closing the face this will give you a consistent starting line for your iron shots ASSUMING you grip the club the same way on each shot. Now they might be going consistently right or left, but if that is happening, now you just need to strengthen or weaken your grip to consistently square it up.

If focusing on getting the back of your lead hand down the line doesn't produce a consistent starting line, you need to look at a few other things.

1. An inconsistent path. For right handed players this would look like balls starting left will tend to slice and balls starting way right will tend to draw back.

2. Inconsistent ball then ground contact combined with an improper lie angle on your irons. If you chunk it and the toe of your iron is in the air the face will quickly close as it crashes into the ball causing a hook or dead pull. If you chunk it and the toe comes in contact with the ground first the club face will open causing a slice or push.

3. Inconsistent ball position and/or weight shift. Ball position and weight shift both impact path and clubhead direction at impact.

Thank you @leftshot . I do believe there is a root cause to most issues. Poor results from a golf swing is a great example of a root cause not always being obvious.

I'll work on focusing on getting the back of my hand down the line and I'll check the lie of my irons even though the two-way miss is throughout the bag with full swing. I suspect inconsistent/poor weight shift might be the cause and I've been fighting that for years. My tempo can be all over the map and that seems to have an effect on weight shift.

Thank you @leftshot . I do believe there is a root cause to most issues. Poor results from a golf swing is a great example of a root cause not always being obvious.

I'll work on focusing on getting the back of my hand down the line and I'll check the lie of my irons even though the two-way miss is throughout the bag with full swing. I suspect inconsistent/poor weight shift might be the cause and I've been fighting that for years. My tempo can be all over the map and that seems to have an effect on weight shift.
Makes sense and you wouldn't be the first one with those problems. All I was trying to do is give you some places to look and ways to diagnose what's happening. I know how frustrating it can be seeing those problems and being at a lose to figure out where they are coming from or how to fix them.

Worked on keeping the back of my hand towards the target at impact today and that seemed to be beneficial. I wasn't worried about contact or the quality of the shot. It's something I've never thought about in the past and, if nothing else, it made me more aware of my follow-through.

Hit the range after the round to hit a few with the new Riptide and make a couple videos for friends and decided to do a little actual work too. Been getting a little dippy for the sake of power, and getting more inside and around. Showed today. So worked some exaggerated feels on getting out and through. Was good. Need my back to freshen up and should be able to get back to the groove between.

I am at Kiawha. Hitting the range at Turtle Point. Totally opposite of my play more practice less resolution pledge. I am playing later in the week. It is wet here.

I took a few weeks of from golf and while playing my last round, I totally lost my swing on the back 9, couldn't figure it out no matter what I tried.
After 7 days of range time seems my backswing angle was causing the relentless turmoil and sleepless nights I was having after that round.
Golf is hard.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I took a few weeks of from golf and while playing my last round, I totally lost my swing on the back 9, couldn't figure it out no matter what I tried.
After 7 days of range time seems my backswing angle was causing the relentless turmoil and sleepless nights I was having after that round.
Golf is hard.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
I've benefited a lot from developing a checklist. Each person has specific tendencies when things go wonkers. Over time if you keep track of them, I've found I tend to have the same stuff screwing up my swing and the checklist becomes more and more valuable to identify quickly what is happening and correct it.

I've been working pretty hard this week on the couple of priority pieces my instructor asked me to concentrate on. If ball flight is an indicator, I am still not delofting the club nor am I able to come inside-out with the path. I took some video of the practice swings vs the swing on the ball and I'm going to look for differences.

For a long time I've suspected a poor weight shift has been the root of the problems and it makes sense why and how it would affect a positive shaft lean at impact as well as difficulty with the in-to-out swing path. Since getting my weight forward is something he addressed on Tuesday, we will hopefully be able to change what I've been unable to by myself thus far.

I've spent almost a week now trying to accomplish one simple goal and have gone backwards. In addition to 9 holes this morning, I've spent several hours on the practice range today with nothing to show for it. Took a bunch of video and the practice swing and real swing are just miles apart - just as they have been since taking up the game.

At age 60, I could spend the next 20 years endlessly practicing drills and thousands of dollars on instruction just to be at the exact same level I'm at now. I've finally found a good instructor and I just don't see anything magically changing with how my mind works. Extremely frustrating. Decent golf isn't for everyone regardless of desire, effort and determination.

I've spent almost a week now trying to accomplish one simple goal and have gone backwards. In addition to 9 holes this morning, I've spent several hours on the practice range today with nothing to show for it. Took a bunch of video and the practice swing and real swing are just miles apart - just as they have been since taking up the game.

At age 60, I could spend the next 20 years endlessly practicing drills and thousands of dollars on instruction just to be at the exact same level I'm at now. I've finally found a good instructor and I just don't see anything magically changing with how my mind works. Extremely frustrating. Decent golf isn't for everyone regardless of desire, effort and determination.
Golf is hard and one can sense the tension and frustration in your post. We’ve all been there so keep smiling and enjoying the game.

Unsolicited suggestion: Next time you go to the practice range, leave all mechanical and positional thoughts at home. Instead, focus only on smooth tempo and rhythm with a soft grip. Force yourself to feel the club head from set up to finish — every ball. Swing in slow motion if necessary— half swings progressing up to full swings. Swing the club head instead of trying to hit the ball.

You may feel that frustration leave your mind and body, and be replaced with the pleasure of feeling the club head swing through the ball to a balanced finish.

Golf is a journey. Enjoy it.

Golf is hard
Single digit golf is very hard even for those who are gifted. Low teens golf is hard for more than half of those who work at it.

Bogey golf.
Feeling even the slightest difference between swings that produce a giant slice and a snap hook.
Exaggerating downswings that will produce an in-to-out swing path, or enough shaft lean to eliminate casting.
Having even the smallest amount of control over ones lower body during the golf swing.

While all of these things might take effort to develop, they're not impossible for 99% of those who put forth the effort.

Yes, I'm frustrated. At a time when a positive attitude is needed to improve, there's not even a glimmer. And I'm little pissed at myself for not being able to walk that line between indifference and obsession.

I appreciate the advice @Puttmaster. I just need to stop posting my negative crap on this forum.

I appreciate the advice @Puttmaster. I just need to stop posting my negative crap on this forum.

Nah, letting it all out amongst THP friends is healthy, too. 👊

I played last week with a guy who had a tough front nine and, by hole 15, was swearing he was going to “take two weeks off and then quit” golf. On 16, he chipped in for par. He then parred 17 and 18 back to back “for the first time ever.”

It was glorious to see the smile on his face walking off 18 green. That joy for all of us is just one swing away.

Last edited:
...Took a bunch of video and the practice swing and real swing are just miles apart - just as they have been since taking up the game...
JonMA1, I really appreciated the heartfelt interaction between Puttmaster and you. His empathy and understanding of your frustration I could tell you appreciated. I wish more of our interactions with each other were like that.

I also wanted you to know that you showed a lot of insight with the above statement. The vast majority of golfers who have this problem, not being able to replicate their practice swing when it comes time to do the real swing, don't recognize that's what is happening or they minimize the difference. Two core things change between a practice swing and the real deal.

One is the task has changed. In our mind, the task has changed from swinging the club to hitting the ball. This may sound like a small thing, but it's not. The second is consequences. There are no consequences with a practice swing. Very different with the real deal.

These two feed each other. The consequences of a real swing causes you to focus on hitting the ball, instead of swinging the club and visa versa.

Just like your realizing how different your practice swing and real swing are was important, so is realizing these two differences that are feeding that difference.

Now if I might be so bold, I'd like to suggest what you could help you to replicate your practice swing when the moment of truth comes.

I've had success with this multi-step approach, both for me and for others.

Step 1 is to learn to swing the club at the range. The idea is that by starting at the range we can remove most or all of the consequences while focusing on swinging the club. If you can find a secluded place on the range, even better. Your entire focus needs to be swinging the club WITHOUT A BALL. Just brushing the grass (or the mat). That's your task.

Step 2 is after swinging the club this way just brushing the grass, you introduce the ball, but keep the task the same. Your focus remains swinging the club so that you just brush the grass. I don't care a whit where the ball goes and neither should you. There are no consequences to where the ball goes.

This is NOT easy, but it does make the change possible. There is no timetable for this. It takes as long as it takes. This too reduces the consequences. Your tendency will be to want to introduce the ball before you are ready. Just realize that. You are obviously quite self aware. So, if you do, just catch yourself and go back to swinging the club so that you brush the grass. At some point you are going to realize that you can swing the club and get better and more consistent contact. When that occurs you will have even more motivation to stick with it.

Eventually, you are going to get really good at doing this ON THE RANGE. The next step is to be able to take that on the course. Start with practice rounds where you intentionally minimize the consequences. That means no games, no betting, not even with your buddies. Some people can focus better and relax playing as a single with 3 strangers. Others can focus and relax easier when out with their buddies. You know yourself and your buddies. Just pick the scenario that works best for you. Over time you can introduce other circumstances. Once again, give yourself time.

You and I are around the same age. So I understand the wondering if you are ever going to get there. I hope this helps you see you can do this. I certainly would not have taken the time to write all this down for you if I felt otherwise.

Last edited:
Thank you @leftshot . There have been replies and even some PMs from so many members here. The help is always appreciated and never taken for granted. This truly is a community that seems to want to help one another.

What you suggested is exactly the lesson plan I'm working on. The mental part is of course where I struggle. I take 5-10 practice swings and while they are not perfect, they are - for lack of a better description - classic swings. Once a ball is placed down there is no tricking what has become instinct. Even with total disregard to contact or shot result, the differences begin immediately with the takeaway of the club and everything that follows becomes bastardized. I don't even realize I'm doing these things until I look at video. Often I can feel the weight back at impact and during the follow through. Occasionally, I do get the feeling of the pulling the club through impact instead of pushing it through. But I can't just will that to happen. I've tried bowing my wrist, aiming at a spot on the target side of the ball...

I started down this road in 2015 thinking that the practice swings would eventually creep into my actual swings. I spent several years on it before giving up in 2019. Honestly, I don't want to put another three or four years into something I couldn't make work previously. There simply is no trust left in my ability.

I'm going to talk to my instructor and see if there's another way to get weight forward or at least the ultimate goal of a better lead arm/shaft inline position at impact. I don't care what the rest of the swing looks like. I was happy with my distances before and with how solidly I was hitting shots. IMO, the biggest thing keeping me from bogey golf is left to right dispersion. If a classic swing is the only way to improve that dispersion, and the only way to a classic swing is this method, I need to accept that and move on.

Got out to the range today after practicing in my back yard mostly lately. Took me a bit to get warmed up and not swinging like an idiot. Overall not a bad session, but I have to do a better job of turning through my swing and not sliding and blocking everything out to the left. I felt good about things towards the end though, so I feel good about it. They charged extra at this place to use the putting green, so I didn't practice putting at all. Kind of a bummer. I'll need to get to the course early tomorrow and putt a bit as I am rusty af.

Been hitting the range before my rounds this week. It seems to be helping in a 2 seps forward one step back manner. Takes time to get changes to stick. It can be frustrating, and rewarding throughout practice or a round. Trying to get back to practicing chips on a regular basis as it’s been a weak part of my game recently.

Back