The THP Range/Practice Thread

Hit the range after the round to hit a few with the new Riptide and make a couple videos for friends and decided to do a little actual work too. Been getting a little dippy for the sake of power, and getting more inside and around. Showed today. So worked some exaggerated feels on getting out and through. Was good. Need my back to freshen up and should be able to get back to the groove between.

Nice one. What software are you using for the ball tracing?

Nice one. What software are you using for the ball tracing?
Just a Shot Tracer app. That's all it's called. Think mine is by Visual Vertigo.

Worked on the range a little before my 9 hole round. Got a in a little groove with the driver. That hasn't happened in three weeks so it was a relief to see. Hopefully the game turns a good corner soon

Have been playing "night golf" the last few days. Will go out at 7:30 pm with putter and two wedges, hit the short game area with wedges and finish up with putting until about 8:40 - get a great moon at about 8:15 while there is still light ... last one to leave the range tonight. On wedges, I work on keeping the downswing shallow so I don't get dig ... that move translates to irons, woods and drivers.

77EDEFB9-9183-4C74-8D71-0D41DD61169B.jpeg
5 perfect putts in a row from 6 feet.
Think I’ll retire. Haha

Worked on the range a little before my 9 hole round. Got a in a little groove with the driver. That hasn't happened in three weeks so it was a relief to see. Hopefully the game turns a good corner soon
I hope so too. Do you know what changed that allowed you to get in a groove with the driver? I've found my ability to sustain a performance improvement really goes up when I understand why it occurred.

(Still doesn't preclude something else sneaking in to mess it up. But at least I can sustain that element and build on it.)

When Grandaddy approaches...Good things happen.

When Grandaddy approaches...Good things happen.
My handicap has gone from a 4.0 to a 5.7 in less than a month. Hopefully the good things start happening on the actual course soon lol

But I can't wait, regardless of my play! Meeting everyone is going to be incredible!

Last edited:
I hope so too. Do you know what changed that allowed you to get in a groove with the driver? I've found my ability to sustain a performance improvement really goes up when I understand why it occurred.

(Still doesn't preclude something else sneaking in to mess it up. But at least I can sustain that element and build on it.)
It really came down to my focus on my timing. A couple weeks ago I was on the range and I got really violent with my swing. It actually worked really well for about 27 holes. Like 300+ drives consistently. But it wasn't a sustainable swing and relied a lot on me getting lucky if I'm being honest. Because there was no way to replicate what I was doing consistently. So I've dialed it back and focused on timing everything up with my upper and lower body.

It's only gone well on one range session and one 9 hole round. So it's keeping it going that's the issue. But I feel like this will be more sustainable than what I'd assume was a flash in the pan.

Few weeks lost my swing in a middle of a round. since then I have been frustrated trying to fix it.
Today at the range success,, I was bombing my 4 iron in the 220s with slight head wind.
Yes golf is hard but satisfying when it's done right.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Welp, it happened. I finally got frustrated enough to launch a 7 iron 40 yards downrange. At least something stayed on-line today.
Super embarrassing as I'm at this range all the time. I'm so ashamed of myself.

At least the staff got a good chuckle out of it and retrieved my club for me.

Welp, it happened. I finally got frustrated enough to launch a 7 iron 40 yards downrange. At least something stayed on-line today.

That's a great practice drill! ;)

You're not the first person whose done it and you won't be the last.

Had a lesson last night specifically working on inside 30y with my 58 degrees. I felt like a giraffe learning to walk with how I simply could not perform the movement the instructor was trying to teach me. It all seems so simple but I just appear to be unable to loosen the sensation in my arms while still gripping the club properly, and then disassociate my lower body from my upper body as I backswing, but pick them all up together and finish fully facing the target.

Went to a smart bay last night to try and get some yardages on the new irons, but it seems like the balls were dead as can be. The data shows that I was hitting a 7 iron 120y and my driver 200y. I know that that is not correct so that was $40 wasted.

got out and practiced putting and hit the range for a while today. Putting felt really good. I was super happy how well I was putting. Range time felt good, but still a lot to work on. Lots of rust to shake off, but I hit some really good shots and kept most of them in front of me at least. good times!!

Short game boot camp is underway.

It's not so much just the range at this point, but I am making some great strides on what I knew was a flaw.

To catch anyone up not following, I got some lessons, didn't get any useful drills, but got enough out of them to work my own swing back into a more sensible position as I drive into contact. Biggest issue has been driver, and I actually have been super pleased with how things are progressing, where the sweepy b**ch fade has turned into a bit of a nasty bomb again, turning right at the end but only slightly (no sweat).

Biggest thing for me is setting the club in the right spot while corking my wrist a bit to keep the face a bit more neutral. I guess one of my biggest flaws that got me into this mess is trying to shut the head down in the wrong way, which went from down the line to inside. Also finishing with my hands driving through the zone rather than across has shown some real promise.

it sucks to feel like I'm on this journey basically alone from a swing standpoint, but I am absolutely thrilled that I'm finding the shape I used to expect again. Could turn into some seriously lethal golf in the short run.

I'm going back to some chipping games/ drills after my last 2 rounds. There's definitely room for improvement there!

It really came down to my focus on my timing. A couple weeks ago I was on the range and I got really violent with my swing. It actually worked really well for about 27 holes. Like 300+ drives consistently. But it wasn't a sustainable swing and relied a lot on me getting lucky if I'm being honest. Because there was no way to replicate what I was doing consistently. So I've dialed it back and focused on timing everything up with my upper and lower body.

It's only gone well on one range session and one 9 hole round. So it's keeping it going that's the issue. But I feel like this will be more sustainable than what I'd assume was a flash in the pan.
Well...the short term success didn't follow me to the course. I shot a 77 two days after this and then five rounds straight in the mid and high 80s. And it's all been directly correlated to the tee game and that doubt crept in to my irons and wedges.

Back to the range I went yesterday. I regained those bombed drives that I previously found and it was exciting as hell. It's all a timing issue with my arms and my lower body. I just have to be able to bring it out to the course. Full grind mode has started to get this to be a consistent thing. I WILL get this figured out before December

I have been really trying to do range sessions at 50 percent speed. I have a coach who teaches the george gankis way. This simple drill has really helped me learn how to stay in-tempo when I go to 90-100 percent swing speed. Controlling the club face always gets me in trouble. Slowing it down is the best way I have found to really get the feedback I need. Shot my personal best 72 last week. Even par Baby!

Hit a big bucket of balls after work today. My swing has been a little off and still working through it.

Get after it!!

What's going on?
I went through a stretch where the swing felt natural and I just swung and was playing really good golf. Then something was off and I started having contact issues. I'm going back to some drills my coach gave me which helped before.

Back