The Tiger Woods Fan Thread

ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
Taking an idea from a fellow member, I think we need a thread where Tiger and Tiger related news can be discussed without the "haters" chiming in. I personally would like a place to have an intelligent Tiger conversation that is not immediately reduced to jokes and disparaging statements.
I would ask people to refrain from general negative statements (ie. Tiger is a horrible golfer) and jokes, but differing opinions and welcome and encouraged. I am clearly going to need some Forum Leader support to keep this thread on track, sorry guys.

I would like to start by referencing an article out today saying Tiger might come back next week to play in the Bridgestone.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/201...rn-at-bridgestone.html?sct=hp_t2_a8&eref=sihp

I would really prefer to see him stay on the sidelines and heal up and not rush himself back, more below his standard performances will just fuel people's fire and I don't think he needs that.

This is basically the opposite of the Tiger Issues Thread

Last edited:
I think you need to retitle the thread the Tiger Fans thread then.
Not everybody that has thoughts on the subject is a "hater". Some try to look at each issue objectively and have an opinion.
Since you do not want objective thoughts in here, it should really be a Tiger Fan thread no?

Fair enough, I will retitle the thread.

Edit: Can a Forum Leader help me change the title or point me in the right direction?

Interesting article. I think it's pretty hard for him to miss majors and I kind of expected him to play the PGA after skipping the US and British Open. I doubt this is a great idea as I am sure his game isn't even close to mediocre at the moment. I know he said he had been working on putting, which would certainly help. I am ready to watch some great golf from him, albeit it probably won't be anytime soon. He is fairly secretive though, so maybe he is getting closer to 100%.

Ripper, as a forum leader I will help you keep this thread clean and clear of "hater" statements.

I think Tiger needs to get healthy first and foremost. Then I think he needs play golf, and as much as possible, and if that means coming back for the PGA, then I'm all for it.

Ripper, as a forum leader I will help you keep this thread clean and clear of "hater" statements.

I think Tiger needs to get healthy first and foremost. Then I think he needs play golf, and as much as possible, and if that means coming back for the PGA, then I'm all for it.

Thanks TC, I just want to try to avoid the mean spirited comments and the jokes, not discourage opinions that don't match mine. I thought it might be a good way to keep a cool discussion flowing.

I agree, I would like him to stay on the sidelines until he is 100% and then come back and play as much as possible. I know Tiger does not like to play in all that many tournaments but playing himself back into shape with the goal of winning majors might motivate him to play in more events.

I hope he can get healthy and back to somewhere near his old form, but he has had some pretty serious injuries to try and bounce back from. For the sake of the game of golf I hope he can come back and bring that Tiger excitement with him. I think he needs to wait until he's 90-95% (honestly he'll never be able to get back to 100% physically) and then start playing lots of events instead of his usual Tiger schedule. I watch golf no matter if he's playing or not, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't care if he ever comes back. I want to see at least a few more glimpses of his greatness before he's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he can get healthy and back to somewhere near his old form, but he has had some pretty serious injuries to try and bounce back from. For the sake of the game of golf I hope he can come back and bring that Tiger excitement with him. I think he needs to wait until he's 90-95% (honestly he'll never be able to get back to 100% physically) and then start playing lots of events instead of his usual Tiger schedule. I watch golf no matter if he's playing or not, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't care if he ever comes back. I want to see at least a few more glimpses of his greatness before he's done.

So do I. I miss watching him dominate.

Thanks TC, I just want to try to avoid the mean spirited comments and the jokes, not discourage opinions that don't match mine. I thought it might be a good way to keep a cool discussion flowing.

I agree, I would like him to stay on the sidelines until he is 100% and then come back and play as much as possible. I know Tiger does not like to play in all that many tournaments but playing himself back into shape with the goal of winning majors might motivate him to play in more events.

He definitely needs to add some more tournaments when he does come back. He needs to get in more of those pressure situations that he used to thrive in. I was very disappointed when he basically gave the tournament away last December. It would definitely help some of the smaller tournaments if he showed up.

lol at this thread...how can THP even keep this topic civil?

:alien:

Thats a really good point, any ideas on how close to normal he can realistically get back to following so many surgeries? I havent seen any reports on estimates from doctors but I imagine you are right, he wont ever be back to where he was physically.

lol at this thread...how can THP even keep this topic civil?

:alien:

By people just being adult about the whole thing.

I think TC is bang on with this, he needs to rest up till he is as healthy as he can get, and then he needs to play a lot of tournament golf again. He can no longer be the guy that plays 4 tournaments a year and then 4 majors.

As a fan I would like to see TW play in more events and the events he had never played in. I want to see him in the heat of battle in Mississippi, Iowa, Milwaukee, cancun etc. If he plays he will improve and win!!!
I want to see him go up against the worlds best and the guys struggling to keep their cards.

I like what the OP said... get back to 100% then come back. Achilles injuries are no joke (not to mention the knee). If he pushes himself past a threshold then he can re-injure that achilles even worse than now which will definitely sideline him for a full year. I also agree that if and when he comes back at 100% he needs to play more tourneys in the long haul. Kinda like rebuilding the brand he has lost to a degree.

Basically health comes first. Even if that means shutting it down for the rest of the season.

I have a hard time believing that he could come back as early as the Bridgestone, by his own admission he has not hit balls in almost 3 months. It was one thing when he was dominating the game to go several weeks or a month between tournaments, it's another to go that long without taking a single swing, while trying to go through a major swing change. He would be much better off to sit out not only until he is healthy, but until he has time to work on his swing and be ready to compete.

If he comes back too early he runs the risk of not only reaggrivating the Achilles and the knee, but also damaging his cinfidense in his own game.

I dont remember hearing that he hasnt hit any golf balls since may.

Im all for him playing as much as possible when hes healthy. Including crappy events. He isnt good enough or powerful enough in the mind to pick and choose his events. I think he will play the bridgestone.

I don't think he discloses everything lol, he's probably healthier than we know. I hope he kicks Arse!

Achilles injuries take a long time to recover from and even when you're healed you'll never be back to 100%. Also, they are very easy to re-aggravate. I'm not sure what exactly he did to his or how severe it was, but take that injury completely out of the equation. The best he can hope to get that knee back to is about 90%. I think a dedicated 90% Tiger still wins some tournaments and contends in most though. The main thing when it comes to knee and achilles injuries is getting your trust back to use them the way you use to. You also have to make sure your not overcompensating on other tendons and whatnot or else you end up overusing those and injuring them. But, TW has the cash to have the best doctors, PTs, and state of the art treatments so I'm rooting for him to get healthy enough to contend for another 10 years or so.

I'd like to ask the Tiger faithful a question. My thoughts on this are well documented here but i'd be curious to know your thoughts on the Tiger/Sean Foley partnership. Is it good? Will it last?

I find this even more polarizing now that Sean O'hair won.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I dont remember hearing that he hasnt hit any golf balls since may..

He said during a TV interview at the AT&T that he hadn't taken any full swings since the Players, but he had been hitting some putts.

I think it was reported somewhere else as well.

I'd like to ask the Tiger faithful a question. My thoughts on this are well documented here but i'd be curious to know your thoughts on the Tiger/Sean Foley partnership. Is it good? Will it last?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I'm not a Tiger faithful, but to be honest I don't know what Tiger needs swing coach wise. Foley seems to want to implement a whole new swing with Tiger and I personally think Tiger needs more of a Haney type coach. Obviously the guy knows how to swing a club, so I think a swing coach that sort of just hangs back, watching his swing, and just offers mostly encouragement while throwing in a tip here and there would work better. That's just an opinion based off really no knowledge of the situation though. Haha

I wonder if he isnt going to find someone more traditional, in a way (and I have nothing to support this) I think Foley would do whatever and say whatever Tiger wants. Maybe he needs a taskmaster with the resume to make Tiger respect him.

I wish he would stay out longer & come back and kick some &%$#. Thats all I got to write

I hope he comes back soon, but I hope that when he does he sticks around.

Back