The Two Clubs One Loft Appreciation Thread

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
JB and golfunfiltered talked about having two clubs in the same spot in the most recent Golf Industry Uncut podcast. JB said he plays two drivers, one for "normal" tee shots and one slightly shorter and higher spin for tight driving holes and even some shots off the deck. golfunfiltered said he has two 58* wedges, one "normal" wedge and one Callaway Sure Out wedge specifically for bunker shots.

I have two 50* wedges, one from my set and one "specialty" wedge, but both are only full swing clubs. They gap about 10-15 yards apart.

I think there are some other two-club-one-loft enthusiasts around these parts. Tell me about your jumbled bag spot and why you do that thing you do!

I'm in the group. Two 10.5 degree clubs.

14 is a lot of clubs for someone of my skill level. Might as well have fun with it

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I'm in the group. Two 10.5 degree clubs.

14 is a lot of clubs for someone of my skill level. Might as well have fun with it

what do the two clubs do differently for you?

what do the two clubs do differently for you?
One's an inch and a half shorter and a little bit spinnier. That translate to about 15 yards less. I'm more comfortable with it than 3 wood off the tee. Plus when my swing is off this one will keep me in play.

I'm in the club. Same deal as obedt in that I carry two drivers sometimes. Same reason & very similar setup.

When I don't carry a second driver, I usually bag a 4 iron, which is the same loft as my 7 wood. Distances overlap some, but for me the 4I is mostly for shots where I can't roll the ball up or I need it to stop before/at 210. I also use the 4I for punch shots. I can certainly live without it, but it is nice on long par 3s to have options as the F7 is a bomber off the tee.

Not sure if this counts or not but: 5i for longer par 3 tee shots; 5h for off-the-deck longish approaches on par 4 and 5's.

My Callaway set has a Razr X HL 6 hybrid and an XR 7 iron ... both 30 degrees. The hybrid is for off the deck as I hit it better than the 7 iron, but the 7 iron is for off a low tee for certain par 3 holes as I am more consistent with an iron off the tee. I have space for both ... but I would keep just the hybrid if I had to drop one.

I don't do this, but I have a driver and mini driver now so that is similar to JBs setup, I am interested in how Adam sets up with the wedges

I just put my Cobra F6 Baffler back in the bag. It's set at 18.5* and my Ping G Crossover 3 is also 18 degrees. The Ping is a bit longer and a easier to control in the wind but the Cobra is easy to land softly and is amazing out of bad lies or bunkers.

I have two 19 degree hybrids in my bag. One is a Cleveland Hi-bore and the other is a Maltby KE4. The Cleveland is 3/4 of an inch longer. I've also got an 18 degree 5 wood, also a Maltby, that is an inch longer than the Cleveland. The course I play, most often, is 6039 from the whites. Seven of the holes are dog-legs and a well-struck 3 wood can blow the corner. Last time out, with just the 5 wood and hybrids, I was 10 of 14 in fairways hit...due mostly to being able to just swing away...instead of trying to shape the ball around corners. Then again...neither hybrid made it out of the bag. My seconds, on the par 5's, were a 5 wood, a 5 iron, another 5 wood, and a 7 iron. You know...the more I think about this...the sillier it sounds.

Close, I play a 19° hybrid (original TE Exotics) and an 18° Cleveland Mashie. More odd perhaps, the higher lofted club is a solid 15+ yards longer for me than the other.

I'll sometimes swap the Mashie for my 19.5° Wilson Fybrid. Again, 19° Exotics mainstay is significantly longer.

Back