The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Scariest part is, this will only take us to 4/5 of the stuff.

Thats crazy, floor to ceiling yet in the room?

Thanks again for all the work the 2 of you are doing to bring this special event to us.

To be fair, no one knows what the mystery stuff weighs because you just can't find it anywhere.
Yup I know. Which is why it was just a for fun guess. Just enjoying the process of all this.

For the 40 participants in the Morgan Cup, it's not just an event that you show up, receive your equipment, and play golf. There is also a big responsibility that needs to be taken care of day in and day out on the forum. A couple of years ago there was a rule set in place about a minimum post count. Some people liked it, some argued against it. However, it's always important as a MC Staffer to engage in the forum and drum up support for this truly amazing event. Well this morning, on the eve of most of travel down to Pawley's Island, I decided to take a look at the numbers. I went back to January 1st, and totaled everyone's post count that is playing in the event. The numbers are impressive and I give a tip of the cap to all you. Below is the total number of posts by Morgan Cup Staffers during this time frame. The number is impressive to say the least. Congrats guys on a good journey leading up to this grand event unlike any other.

160,670 POSTS

The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

That's crazy, Dean

Last edited:
For the 40 participants in the Morgan Cup, it's not just an event that you show up, receive your equipment, and play golf. There is also a big responsibility that needs to be taken care of day in and day out on the forum. A couple of years ago there was a rule set in place about a minimum post count. Some people liked it, some argued against it. However, it's always important as a MC Staffer to engage in the forum and drum up support for this truly amazing event. Well this morning, on the eve of most of travel down to Pawley's Island, I decided to take a look at the numbers. I went back to January 1st, and totaled everyone's post count that is playing in the event. The numbers are impressive and I give a tip of the cap to all you. Below is the total number of posts by Morgan Cup Staffers during this time frame. The number is impressive to say the least. Congrats guys on a good journey leading up to this grand event unlike any other.

160,670 POSTS

Wow that's impressive well done everyone.

So I was going to try to write an eloquent post about the Morgan Cup and give some advice to this year's players, and then tyno and Puttin4Bird knocked it out of the park with their posts yesterday and I don't think I can add much more than those 2 guys said. But this event is awesome, it was my golfing highlight for the past 3 summers. In particular, I'll never forget the 3 days last summer, it was the best golfing experience I've ever had. I know that this is a different Morgan Cup (and perhaps the last one) and some might not want to hear advice from a "vet", but here goes:

*Sometime during this week, take some time to thank your family and support system, even if they are not with you in Pawley's Island. They have been the ones that have allowed you to put in all of the preparation and focus on this event, and it will make them feel better if you acknowledge them, especially if they had to sacrifice for your golf game. Trust me on this one, it goes a long way.

*Harry Arnett said something to this effect prior to the Grandaddy, but it holds true in this event as well: don't be a jerk. Everyone will be all smiles on Thursday and Friday with everyone meeting up with one another and getting to see their new equipment, but the competition days are a different animal and can bring out the best or worst in people. You are a staff professional for these companies and you should act like that on the course, and treat your opponent the way that you would want to be treated on the course. No one wants to lose, and I understand the frustration that can come with that, but you should be able to take off your hat at the end of every match and you and your opponent should be able to say to each other "That was fun, let's do it again sometime."

*Start hydrating very early this week, and don't stop at all throughout the weekend. The humidity in South Carolina in July is no joke, even for someone like myself that grew up there. I had some symptoms of heat exhaustion during the afternoon round last year and it took me a good 2-3 hours after that round to fully recover, I don't want anyone this year to be in that situation.

*In the team matches, be honest with your partner and yourself about your game. Don't try to play a game that you're not comfortable with or do something just because your partner recommended it. For example, last year at #8 on Caledonia, Puttin4Bird set me up in the fairway on that par 5 with a good chance to reach the green in 2, but I just didn't like the angle of the shot or my chances to carry the water in front. I told him that right when we got to the ball, and chose to lay up. It was alternate shot, and he hit our 3rd shot to 8 feet, I rolled in the birdie putt to win the hole. If you and your partner play to each of your strengths, you will have success.

*Finally, don't forget how lucky you are, and enjoy the hell out of every moment. At the courses, people will know that you are there for the Morgan Cup. Other players on the range will stare at your staff bag. The local media will probably be there to check the event out. Soak all of that in and realize that very few people have been in your shoes. Off the course, enjoy that you are surrounded by 39 other golf geeks that are just as excited as you are to play in this event, and that if you choose to do so, you'll make some really good friends this weekend that will have your back in any situation down the line. For the first timers, I hope that at the end of this weekend, you'll realize that what Tadashi70 said last year at the trophy ceremony makes sense (and I'm paraphrasing): "For some people, it's a website, but for the people here, it's a family."

Like tyno, I wish I could have been down there, but silly babies get in the way. :alien: Go out there and hit some great shots and make some memories that will last a lifetime.
Great post Amol! It has been great experience all 3 of our Morgan Cups right along side you. Twice winning it together!! Spending the entire day as your partner last year was great, first rolling fools in the scramble, then rolling fools and almost letting them back in before finally rolling fools on 18 at Caledonia goes down as one of my best days on the golf course. I'll never forget it as long as I live. I still need to get that picture you sent me of 18 at Caledonia framed so I can see it every single day!!

That's a lot of post. Good work guys!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I have not been informed on anything that has to do with Staff Sponsor Day on Friday, but I can surely say that you 40 guys are going to be in for a world of fun and excitement. That I can GUARANTEE!! See you guys on Friday. :banana:

160,670 POSTS

That is awesome. Comes out to almost 23,000 posts a month. Or about 765 posts a day.

160,000+ posts. That's insane. And to think, the month isn't over yet. My guess is that number goes up quite a bit Friday!

On a related note, the posts have been outstanding. Lets try and remember that throughout this week, as you see equipment, talk about golf courses, play rounds together, that the THP community is more than Morgan Cup threads. Im not saying anybody did anything wrong, but the little things help newcomers as they join in the site, and dont know much about things like this.

That is an awesome pic right there

160,670 POSTS

That's an amazing number.

I think 441 has about 100K of those. But, still very impressive.

:alien:

Another cool pic

y9e2u2e7.jpg

JB. Did you have to arrange outside security to stand outside your Villa until Friday AM :)

Nice bags. I spy some footwear as well.

Too much awesome in the thread today.

Love that TM bag

Love love love the Blue!!!

Great post Ary. You had me ready to gas up the car and drive non stop to MB.

I have no idea what I would have done once I got there. But u would have been ready for war. Ha

Back