The Underrated Course in Your Area?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each area has its favorites. They have their clubs, resorts, etc. But there is always that course or two that very few talk about that absolutely shines.

What course in your area is that?

There is a course near French Lick about an hour away called Sultan's Run. It is better than the Donald Ross course at French Lick. I cannot compare it to the Dye course because I haven't played it, but I doubt there is much difference in quality to be honest. This course is 18 phenomenal holes in really good condition and it costs between $50 & $80 depending on when you play. The Ross and Dye courses at the resort nearby are $180 and $350 respectively. Sultan's Run is still my favorite course I have ever played and it is definitely an under the radar gem.

I would have to say, The Rock in Pickens, SC. It's nestled into the mountains and has beautiful views. The course is always in great condition and the greens are fast and smooth. The Rock never disappoints.
As an added bonus, their hamburgers are the best I've ever had here. Crispy outer crust on the patty, juicy, and fall apart messy delicious.

George Wright outside Boston is usually my pick for an impeccable design from the Golden Age, but it keeps getting more and more accolades. Going to say either Chemawa in North Attleborough, MA or Blissful Meadows in Uxbridge, MA. Both have excellent conditioning this year, are reasonably priced, and have their own perks. Chemawa features tight fairways and postage stamp size greens but Blissful has some holes over an old silver mine and others on rolling farm land.

Eagle Ridge in Louisa, KY

What hurts it is that its 30 miles from anything. Fun layout, up and down the foothills, and always in great shape. The last pic is from the teebox on that hole.

1623072380341.png

1623072465634.png

1623072751971.png

I may be biased having joined the course this year, but i think Iron Valley is underrated. It’s the most expensive course in the area, but my playing partners have agreed it’s worth the price. The elevation changes and the hole creativity are the reasons I committed to playing the majority of my rounds here this year.
1623073602799.png

For me its Shelby Park. Donald Ross design and very interesting layout. If they would be the same money in it as Two Rivers or Harpeth I think that it could really be something special.

Hmm great question. I'm not really sure what course that might be around here. I have favorites but they are considered to be some of the best. I guess if I had to choose one it would actually be a city course named Sanctuary Lake. It has some elevation, decent layout and greens are ok albeit slow usually. Its priced decently and I love that you can bomb driver whenever you want.

Gus Wortham Golf Course
Muni course that underwent a renovation in late 2018
Fantastic layout along a bayou and even has some undulations which are rare in this area
The tee sheet is always packed, but I have ran across so many local golfers who have not heard of the course
$38 to walk on the weekends

Eagle Pointe Golf Course
About 45 minutes east of Houston
Wonderful layout and would easily be a $90-$100 course if it were closer to town

No too many underrated here, but a few overrated...

I guess it depends on what you consider my area - there aren't a whole lot of tracks out in my immediate area, but there's a TON in an hour radius. So I'm gonna use an hour radius.

If so, then I probably go with Willow Hollow. It's far from the longest course or the toughest course (or even my personal favorite course), but the greens are always rolling beautifully and there's a couple genuinely tricky and interesting hole designs. Punches way above its weight as far as price goes too (it's $40 to ride on a weekend). I don't play there often enough, and a lot of folks don't talk about it too much (other than the immediate locals).

Have a place in our area that used to be called Buck Ridge and was sold a few years ago and is now called Ridge and Gardens. Was great when it opened, but the previous owners really let it go. New owners have done a great job and it's almost back now. Layout is great aside from 1 dumb hole.

I’m going to say Rock Hollow Golf Club in Peru, Indiana. Absolutely awesome layout and conditions. It’s out in the middle no where in northern Indiana and far enough from South Bend, Indy, Fort Wayne, and Chicago that it probably doesn’t get then pub it deserves.

In my area, I'd say it is Mount Ogden or Hobblecreek. Go further south there are a lot of great courses but The Ledges for me is very underrated.

Hyland Golf Club, Southern Pines, NC. A very fair layout for the average player.

I don’t know who does the ratings or what they are on any of the dozen courses around me. I can’t say which are over or underrated

Pecan Hollow seems to get that title if you ask me for the North Dallas area.

Gus Wortham Golf Course
Muni course that underwent a renovation in late 2018
Fantastic layout along a bayou and even has some undulations which are rare in this area
The tee sheet is always packed, but I have ran across so many local golfers who have not heard of the course
$38 to walk on the weekends

Eagle Pointe Golf Course
About 45 minutes east of Houston
Wonderful layout and would easily be a $90-$100 course if it were closer to town

Agree with all your comments about Eagle Pointe! I thoroughly enjoyed my round there

Emerald Canyon in Parker, AZ. It's a muni (county owned) that punches well above its weight class IMO. It's a challenging but fun, picturesque desert course with lots of variety in the holes, some good risk/reward decisions, and lots of elevation changes. Much of it is cut into rocky desert mountains/canyons, with some nice views of the Colorado River (which is right across the road from the golf course). $70 (w/cart) to play in the winter, $35 (w/cart) on weekdays between May and October.

Last edited:
Glade Springs Resort in West Virginia. Three courses. I’ve seen two of them and played the lesser known twice. A lot of forced carries and elevation changes make people avoid it because they won’t play the correct tee.

Back