NEWS The USGA Distance Insights Project

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Report will be out later today, but there this was sent out by Mike Johnson just now.

• Admin
Should expect the report in the next 90 minutes, but there are a lot of people that are wondering if this organization is about to completely change the game.

I don't like "needs to be addressed". Do you think they will force PW's to be 48 degrees of loft?

As many of you know, I am steadfastly in the "distance is a problem" camp. Equipment has gotten away from us, especially when compared to golf architecture advancements, and golfers continue to refuse moving up a tee box.

Did Nicklaus finally get to them? Is he getting nervous seeing Tiger's recent form and drive?

I just hope they don't do some stupid &$@* to ruin the game for us dedicated and fun-loving hackers...

• Admin
As many of you know, I am steadfastly in the "distance is a problem" camp. Equipment has gotten away from us, especially when compared to golf architecture advancements, and golfers continue to refuse moving up a tee box.

Distance isn't a problem for 99% of the golfers in the world. If you are saying golfers are refusing to move up a tee box, then they certainly aren't hitting it too far.

All this because of a stupid focus on scoring as a relationship to par. If pros were shooting 258 now instead of 268 no one would care, but calling it 20 under instead of 10 under makes it look like winning scores have gotten twice as good with new equipment and that is just not the case. In reality winning scores have gotten 3.73% better which is nothing.

#RollTheBallBack :unsure:

Distance is not a problem but the media talking heads have made it one.

You know they could literally change the cut of grass length and direction it's mowed and they can curtail the distance trend real fast, right?

Distance isn't a problem for 99% of the golfers in the world. If you are saying golfers are refusing to move up a tee box, then they certainly aren't hitting it too far.

Let's say, hypothetically, the USGA recommends constraints on equipment moving forward. The message of "ball will be cut back 10%" is spread. Do you think Average Joe golfer will continue to head to the back tees?

Ahhhh yes. Please change clubs and balls back and have limited flights like some range balls to screw over the people paying a ton of money to play. I really hope they do. Because the next step would be to remove the USGA from golf.

You know they could literally change the cut of grass length and direction it's mowed and they can curtail the distance trend real fast, right?
What? You don't like fairways hard as a rock that give you 75 - 100 yards of roll? :eek:

Let's say, hypothetically, the USGA recommends constraints on equipment moving forward. The message of "ball will be cut back 10%" is spread. Do you think Average Joe golfer will continue to head to the back tees?

I dont think the average Joe has any idea what the USGA says or does.
Do you think golf courses are all of the sudden going to shrink?

But you are making my point. If people are playing too far back for how far they can hit it, why on earth are we going to limit that, only because there are a few hundred golfers that hit it too far on courses with perfectly manicured grass and 50 yards of roll.

They can make the pros hit a different club but it seems to me their profits are tied to the average golfer. Of course the USGA may not care about the average Joe. Better go get my new driver now. :ROFLMAO:

Of course. And they could simply move the tee boxes up everywhere.

I hate agreeing with JB, but so much of this could be solved by how they set up the courses, ie stop rolling the fairways. I mean did you see Webb Simpson's drive on 18 last weekend with a 5 Wood!!! Rolled out like 50+ yards. Give me a break.

The real story "Jacked lofts", back to balata and hickory you heathens! ???

So you're saying, they could cut over 10% of distance immediately by not allowing Webb's 280 something drive to finish 320+? Erroneous. ;)

i have no faith in a reasoned and well thought out process here. It's going to be akin to using a hammer to fix a broken window. course setup is the absolute best way to resolve this concern of theirs! @JB is very much right here.

Back