NEWS The USGA Distance Insights Project

at what point to do they start putting little wobblers into golf balls because people are 'hitting it too straight' or 'making too many putts'?
Didn't callaway try that?????

Watching tour guys get 75 yards of bounce is the simplest way to solve distance 'issues' for basically all of golf.... because it's isolated to the tour, and that is the kind of condition they play in.

You're altering equipment to solve a less-than-one-percenter problem that can be solved with some extra water two days before an event.

....and I have the Superintendent of Streamsong Red/Blue telling me on Twitter that all courses play this way. "Plenty of amateur golfers have access to firm fairways" then he tells me to "Hit the ball lower" :ROFLMAO: what a turd :poop:

I mean the US Open set up is an extreme case to the point that the USGA making their own changes to the course in terms of sight lines and fairway width, that also only covers what, 0.3% of courses in the US, if that.

Agreed. It was just an effort to point out good designs can be wrecked by bad set up. And vise versa is the course is set up well, a less than perfect design can play quite well. They go hand in hand but are separate issues to a degree.

In some a ways it is the perfect example as well. As who does the set up for the us open?!

....and I have the Superintendent of Streamsong Red/Blue telling me on Twitter that all courses play this way. "Plenty of amateur golfers have access to firm fairways" then he tells me to "Hit the ball lower" :ROFLMAO: what a turd :poop:
haha, I just played on the weekend and got bounce once. I guess I'm broken.

Just read the highlight points and am glad to see the governing bodies finally take a stand on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If golfers will not move up tee boxes then hypothetically, what if the greenskeeper just moves all the tee markers up? Would people consistently just play from the "wrong" tee box? Just a curious thought.

I do sometimes.

I'm being fairly serious. If I get to a course and they've moved the blacks/golds/champions/blues/whatever up to next ones up for some reason, even on just some of the holes, I'll ask if I can still play the back box(if that's what I had intended before I arrived). The answer is usually 'go ahead'. I doubt everyone would ask though. Some would just do it.

The only locker room conversation should be "Please stop talking to me while I am taking a shower".

The media call wrapped up with "This is a long term play for the betterment of the game".

Someone needs to tell the USGA that it is 2020, and not 1920.

This is then just a "Augusta rule"? Didn't Ridley say that they will wait on USGA report before they haul back the 13th tee. We'll see Augusta introducing an own ball or ball rule I'm pretty sure. Or then they ban the use of driver only on the 13th, now that would be fun. Or you need to pick-up a special ball only for hole 13 :)

The USGA making arbitrary decisions that harm the game. A tradition unlike any other.

So if they are looking to enforce a "local rule" on how far can a club hit a ball, how in the world is that even enforceable? Are they going to swing speed test / trackman test every driver before a round for conformity? Logistically speaking, they have opened up a huge can of worms.

The USGA better be staffed by nothing but proctologists, because between this proposal and the new handicap rules taking into account local course conditions, they will apparently be up our a**es on every single shot.

Why would anyone stop playing? Just like effective gun laws, we'll just use the illegal stuff anyway.

Golf stores are going to be like video stores in the 90s with the side door to the adult-only room. "Psssssst, I noticed you could use a bit of extra distance....We have some really nice F9s over there through that door, see if there is anything you like....."

Another thing that I was just thinking about. In regards to driving distance. We are at a point now where a centered shot will still only transfer about 1.5 times of swing speed into ball speed. I see people mention (on social media), that if this trend continues, these courses will be obsolete. But, with the current limits in place, it's not like Cam Champ will be hitting the ball 400 yards eventually. We are seeing the average distance rise slightly as more and more people are hitting the gym and taking their athletic prowess into the game of golf. You have guys that wouldn't have ever chosen golf before entering the game. These guys are athletes now. They train hard. They play under the same equipment restrictions that have been in place for some time now.

So, are we just going to have a gut reaction now because more professional golfers are now "athletes" than ever before?

Another thing that I was just thinking about. In regards to driving distance. We are at a point now where a centered shot will still only transfer about 1.5 times of swing speed into ball speed. I see people mention (on social media), that if this trend continues, these courses will be obsolete. But, with the current limits in place, it's not like Cam Champ will be hitting the ball 400 yards eventually. We are seeing the average distance rise slightly as more and more people are hitting the gym and taking their athletic prowess into the game of golf. You have guys that wouldn't have ever chosen golf before entering the game. These guys are athletes now. They train hard. They play under the same equipment restrictions that have been in place for some time now.

So, are we just going to have a gut reaction now because more professional golfers are now "athletes" than ever before?

This was what I was on about before I even finished catching up on the news. The athletic gains really drive the numbers.

I wonder how many here have read the report. Here is one of the key findings:

The review of overall conformance specifications for both clubs and balls, including specifications that both directly and indirectly affect hitting distances. It is not currently intended to consider revising overall equipment specifications in a way that would produce substantial reductions in hitting distances at all levels of the game.

I personally do not see the implementation of rules that will impact the current distance of equipment being used by we amateurs. This forum is a sample of the backlash that would result.

My advice... breath deeply. It’s all going to be ok. :)

Weird how apparently Nicklaus has been FORCED to continue to design and build 7000+ yard courses.

Apparently Jack Nicklaus wasn't concerned about hitting the ball too far in 1963 when he won the long drive contest with a 341 yards drive.

He's just worried about holding on to his G. O. A. T. Record with 18 Majors.

Which he earned. But now decided to block the next generation from even trying.

I am sure that he used the best equipment available for his generation of players. Steel shafts and all. :drinks:

I triple dog dare anyone in this thread to, with a straight face, confirm they would quit the game if distances were limited.
If they change the game in a way that is inferior to what I enjoy.

Yes. I honestly would quit. I have better things to do with my time than to play golf with inferior clubs. By governing ruling organizations designs. :drinks:

Wait...

So which is it?

The main reason for this decline might be the aging golfing population. Which needs all the Distance enhanced assistance they can buy with conforming clubs.

I don't see anyone playing golf regularly under 35.

And this will only hasten the slow painful death of one of man's greatest games ever invented :drinks:

If golfers will not move up tee boxes then hypothetically, what if the greenskeeper just moves all the tee markers up? Would people consistently just play from the "wrong" tee box? Just a curious thought.

Two of my playing partners are + hcps and if the back tees aren't BACK...they will go all the way to the back of the back tee box if the markers are there or not. Now when I'm with them, I'm playing the tees that fit my game. Ill just wait for them to tee off, then ill be ready to go at the tees I'm playing that day right after.

I'm not worked up over this report one way or another. As long as we play under a consistent set of rules, it is still golf. And I would have to believe any equipment changes would be phased in over time. Plus as an amateur hack, nobody is going to break my knees if I don't jump on command.

But ideas for simply making this about course adjustment could be limited to specific regions. In the arid west where we have formal water rights, high costs for water, and limited water supplies, things like softening fairways and planting more trees may not be reasonable. There is a controlling climatology and biogeography out there.

It's been said, but it seems really simple to me. Look at the carry vs total distance and do the math. The travel these pros are getting on these fairways is unreal. Make the course layout a bit tougher. Maybe more treacherous. Require finesse and you'll get it. Dialing back equipment is only going to diminish interest in the game IMO.

Two of my playing partners are + hcps and if the back tees aren't BACK...they will go all the way to the back of the back tee box if the markers are there or not. Now when I'm with them, I'm playing the tees that fit my game. Ill just wait for them to tee off, then ill be ready to go at the tees I'm playing that day right after.
If they do that every round, they must be really good golfers to overcome the penalty strokes they accrue from teeing off from the wrong locations and still being + caps. ;)

So IF this really has to happen, the best thing to do is build a ball tester and set some kind of limit on the golf ball performance.
I would think something that has a level base and a consistent dropper at a set height.
If the ball goes over a certain height relative to the drop height, it can be ruled ineligible.

Having read all 15 pages over the last 20 minutes...I'm perplexed at some of these proposals by the USGA. But also not going to let it affect me. Hell I don't hit it far enough with new equipment and they want to limit my abilities? Please.

I happily play the whites or blues depending where we're at. And I'll happily continue playing "illegal" equipment even if this bogus stuff gets passed or whatever. I don't see the advantage that the USGA is getting from this.

Man, oh man! I see that golfunfiltered is totally wedded to the roll the ball back argument and sees it only as a minimal distance loss to everyone to try to force some players to move up a set of tees. It makes me want to play the championship tees just to spite him. And they're way out of my abilities.:ROFLMAO:

I can't be convinced that rolling the ball back will benefit anyone by penalizing everyone for the abilities of 1% of the golfers that drive the ball as far as I wish I could.

The one conversation I keep hearing from those that want a role back is that great designed courses are becoming obsolete. Also, that they do not like the way golf looks anymore. It is the optics of PGA pros hitting drivers and wedges on "iconic" ( I really hate that word) courses.

As has been said, these "iconic" courses, Augusta, Marion, etc etc etc. Are all super elite and private courses. The length is only an issue for tour pros.

As was So clearly explained in the thread about "Jacked Lofts " , if they don't like Professionals using Wedges on Approach shots to Par 4's or Par 5's change the name or numbers on the bottom of the clubs. Because when they announce on Television that "X" player used "X" Club Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids, Irons, or Wedges they never state the Lofts. So what is the concern about how far "X" player hits his "X" Wedge. It might be a 34 degree Pitching Wedge, which he still has to Stiff it close to the Well Guarded Pin behind Hazards and Bunkers. :drinks:

I triple dog dare anyone in this thread to, with a straight face, confirm they would quit the game if distances were limited.

Playing catchup here.

No, I wouldn't quit and that is the answer you are probably going to get from most golfers today. However, I do think you will lose younger potential golfers as they move to other ways to spend their time and dollars. I think you need to make the golf game quicker and more enjoyable for the younger person to find their way into golf. If you roll back distance, I think the game becomes longer and not as enjoyable.

Perhaps a better use of the USGA resources and energy could be put towards growing the game. How to increase membership and new comers to the game. It would be nice if more courses were being built instead of closed. Hey people like the homerun and they like to hit a golf ball far.

Back