The Vest: Yay or Nay?

Vest: Yay or Nay?

• Total voters
I'm definitely in favor of vests. Perfect for layering.

Never have been a vest fan

I'm a nay, but only because I am a nay for all vests. I no longer posses the build where a vest looks good on me.

I was planning on wearing a vest today for a quick 18 but it was 37 and snow flurries after I dropped my daughter off at school. Time to regrip my extra set of clubs that I’m hauling to Florida next Thursday. This cold snap is way too early!

I love my down vest for colder weather. It only interferes with my driver swing, so I just off and on at the tee box.

I like the vest options, especially the Puma Vest that we got at the 2018 THP Championship.

I’m a vest fan, but I don’t actually own any haha. However I’m definitely from the suburbs so of course I’m ok with vests.

I like them. I have a Mizuno Hayate windlite 1/4 zip vest and it is one of the best apparel purchases I've made.

Which brings me to a question - why doesn't mizuno seem to sell apparel in the US? Come on guys!
I've got one of their Warmalite 1/4 zips and it's one of my favs. Warm and not restricting at all. Wish I could find more but like you said not the easiest to get a hold of.

Vests are absurd. I can't think of another piece of attire that endures despite its pointless existence like vests do. I can understand the aesthetic purpose to cover a shirt or finish the look of a suit/coat, but the rest is beyond me. Your body already pulls back blood flow from your extremities to your core when you're cold. It's the last thing that needs an additional layer IMO. Hand me a vest and I'm more likely to fold it up and use it as a seat cushion, or a second towel, or trash bag. And know that if I see you wearing one, I probably think you look like an a**hole. I mean, I'm hairy af. I already have a vest. Give me some sleeves or a warmer pair of gloves!

My family is extremely suburban and every holiday for years some lovely-intentioned idiot would give me a f-ing vest. You could make an hour long highlight reel of me pretending not to want to sh*t in their sink for it. It was truly an unrelenting assault. They finally gave it up, and it's kind of amazing I'm not bitter about it.

Outside of trying to be funny (not my strength) I think a vest is a smart outdoor active wear. Golf is an outdoor active sport.

If it is cool enough to wear an extra layer, a vest can be a nice option. Golf to me is a walking sport. First, a vest packs well, requiring little space in the bag. And it goes well with a light rain jacket, making the combo more effective for a range of conditions. So as I generate heat, I want that to dissipate. Vests keep the core warm without overheating the extremities. And better vests are windproof and water resistant with some breathability, which is nice in wind or light rain in more arid climates. The arms, important for golf, are unrestricted. Better vests are slim fitting and use low bulk performance insulation. A good vest is an outstanding layering item.

Part of why I like vests very likely stems from where I live and play. In the mountains, temps and conditions can vary significantly throughout the day, spring, summer, or fall. Vest is a great piece for so many situations. I also don't fall prey to cultural attitudes about certain items. I spend a lot of time in places like Yellowstone and Glacier where we make fun of what visitors bring to wear. :p Their typical urban/suburban wear doesn't work there. Just saying.

I have one and like it more than I thought I would especially when it comes to, like, you know....actually wearing it while golfing.

Only denim.

1570810514206.png

Vests are absurd. I can't think of another piece of attire that endures despite its pointless existence like vests do. I can understand the aesthetic purpose to cover a shirt or finish the look of a suit/coat, but the rest is beyond me. Your body already pulls back blood flow from your extremities to your core when you're cold. It's the last thing that needs an additional layer IMO. Hand me a vest and I'm more likely to fold it up and use it as a seat cushion, or a second towel, or trash bag. And know that if I see you wearing one, I probably think you look like an a**hole. I mean, I'm hairy af. I already have a vest. Give me some sleeves or a warmer pair of gloves!

My family is extremely suburban and every holiday for years some lovely-intentioned idiot would give me a f-ing vest. You could make an hour long highlight reel of me pretending not to want to sh*t in their sink for it. It was truly an unrelenting assault. They finally gave it up, and it's kind of amazing I'm not bitter about it.
You bring up a point. I’m not a person that know much about biology, but if a vest keeps your core warm, wouldn’t that keep your body pumping warm blood to the extremities?

edit: it looks like that’s the case, although I can’t find any sources I’d quote on it.

You just haven't found the right one and a vest needs a good accessory or two. How about this one that I busted out a year ago for our annual Santa pub crawl? I know you love it! :p

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 11.48.36 AM.png

Yay All Day! I'v long the vest and have about 6 of them. Of course I was living in San Fran prior and spent a lot of time in the mountains, so they were essential.

1/4 zip, love mine. Used to think they were nerdy, but actually looks ok. And is good to have when its cool, but not quite for a full jacket.

I've never worn them but it's less a matter of fashion than it is function.

My shoulders get cold easily. If it's cool enough to consider a vest, then it's also cool enough that I'll need an extra layer shielding my shoulders.

I'm a big fan of vests but haven't found one that I love yet. One of these days I need to drop the money on a nice one.

All right. You’re all terrible influences.
I’ll look for one this weekend. I need another pair of pants anyway. :mad:

You don't want to look good when you play?

Look good, play good

I like the vest options, especially the Puma Vest that we got at the 2018 THP Championship.

I see what you did there, I dig it

I’m a vest fan, but I don’t actually own any haha. However I’m definitely from the suburbs so of course I’m ok with vests.

Sounds like shopping is in your weekend plans

All right. You’re all terrible influences.
I’ll look for one this weekend. I need another pair of pants anyway. :mad:

There he is! BOOM

I like vests, I'm also a big fan of layering in the colder months, I'm rocking a Cricket vest right now. I have a few Puma Vests both 1/4 Zip and Full Zip for on course layering needs.

I don't currently have one I wear, but I'm thinking I'll need to get a Ryder Cup '20 vest for play this winter. Vest have great utility in a golf swing.

You bring up a point. I’m not a person that know much about biology, but if a vest keeps your core warm, wouldn’t that keep your body pumping warm blood to the extremities?

edit: it looks like that’s the case, although I can’t find any sources I’d quote on it.

Yeah, the idea of it is that by keeping it warm in your core, it prevents your body from shunting (altering the flow away from your extermities). Show me a guy wearing nothing but three vests who's arms aren't cold though. Interestingly, the most effective current method for rewarming someone with hypothermia is by warming the blood in their arm and letting it recirculate through the rest of the body.

You just haven't found the right one and a vest needs a good accessory or two. How about this one that I busted out a year ago for our annual Santa pub crawl? I know you love it! :p

Yep. I would wear that. :LOL:

Yeah, the idea of it is that by keeping it warm in your core, it prevents your body from shunting (altering the flow away from your extermities). Show me a guy wearing nothing but three vests who's arms aren't cold though. Interestingly, the most effective current method for rewarming someone with hypothermia is by warming the blood in their arm and letting it recirculate through the rest of the body.

Im sure there comes a point when a vest is less effective than a jacket. I wonder if in ‘cool’ temperatures it might be effective. I’m thinking in the like 55°-60° F range for me personally.

Back