JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Roger Cleveland has spoken to many THPers at events about how much the wide sole can help golfers in their wedges. As someone that has contemplated switching to a Wide Low or similar in my 56 degree, I wanted to see what kind of feedback THPers have with wider sole wedges.

Tried a wider sole once. Absolutely awful for me. Turf interaction was never an issue before it, and I started flubbing chips more than I ever had in my life with a wide sole wedge. I can see how they might work for people, but personally, never again.

• Admin
Tried a wider sole once. Absolutely awful for me. Turf interaction was never an issue before it, and I started flubbing chips more than I ever had in my life with a wide sole wedge. I can see how they might work for people, but personally, never again.

In this instance it wouldn't be for chipping. That is where I use something more narrow.
But that is interesting, because I would have expected the opposite to happen.

Absolutely adore my WL in 60*

Such a great greenside and short distance wedge club.

I've had it in two iterations from Cobra both the Black and PUR also was a fan of the Callaway W grind in my MD3 54*

I love the new TM Bigfoot. even at 15* bounce I haven't had any issue from any lie. You can open the face slightly but not too much. in 2 months ive yet to thin or shank a shot with it. Ive played 2 different links course and my usual rounds at Cog Hill.... Tight/firm fairways and softer/wet fairways its been incredible

I've never really thought about it. I don't know that I've seen one in the wild.

I've always liked a traditional shape. But if it doesn't look awful and it helps, I'd probably give it a try.

I’ve played with a SureOut. That might be a little wider than you’re thinking. I never had any issues with it, worked great out of the sand and was ok from the fairway.

Was a fan of the Cobra King Black 58 WL that I had...until I lost it somehow. :mad: Was fantastic out of the bunker especially. I never was able to get really comfortable with it around the greens though.

I'm not sure if the PM Grind falls into the Wide Sole category, but if it does it has changed the short game for me. The results out of the sand speaks for itself, but around the greens (say 40yds and in) it has made chipping easy. It has taken the leading edge out of the equation for me and allowed me to be more aggressive.

Was a fan of the Cobra King Black 58 WL that I had...until I lost it somehow. :mad: Was fantastic out of the bunker especially. I never was able to get really comfortable with it around the greens though.

Im really diving into my wedge play and looking through some data, I was best with a wide 56. Something I can use in the bunkers, but also in the super thick stuff.

I have yet to try one, but the TM Bigfoot wedge is on my radar.

Just bought a TM bigfoot yesterday. Cant wait to get it on the course.

The PM Grind is as exotic as I've ever got with grinds so I'm not a huge help. I will say that grind has been amazing for me around the green though.

I have both the PM Grind and Sure out and use both from the bunker and rough, including deep rough. Have solid success with both clubs from those lies. The PM grind is better for me when opened up some, where the Sure Out does not work for me with the face opened.

I love the new TM Bigfoot. even at 15* bounce I haven't had any issue from any lie. You can open the face slightly but not too much. in 2 months ive yet to thin or shank a shot with it. Ive played 2 different links course and my usual rounds at Cog Hill.... Tight/firm fairways and softer/wet fairways its been incredible

I agree totally. The TM Bigfoot is really easy club to hit. From bunkers to full shots. It delivers!

I like having one wide sole wedge in the bag, right now it's my 64*, but I don't know about having more of them, right now my iron set goes through SW, and has some beef to the sole, I also like having my current 60* with a narrow sole for different shots as well.

Ive tried a few wider sole wedges, mostly Tour Edge and Tommy Armour and didnt notice much difference over more bladelike wedges. I did notice a big downside with turf interaction though.
As someone who likes to open and close the face a lot to manipulate the loft, Im not a fan of wide sole wedges.
IMO, much like wider soles in irons, its more marketing hype than it is anything else. Why practice and build a better swing when you can just buy a more forgiving club? :rolleyes:

Ive tried a few wider sole wedges, mostly Tour Edge and Tommy Armour and didnt notice much difference over more bladelike wedges. I did notice a big downside with turf interaction though.
As someone who likes to open and close the face a lot to manipulate the loft, Im not a fan of wide sole wedges.
IMO, much like wider soles in irons, its more marketing hype than it is anything else. Why practice and build a better swing when you can just buy a more forgiving club? :rolleyes:

Wide sole in many cases is a blade. See Cobra Wide Low. Callaway W Grind. Etc.

Wide sole in many cases is a blade. See Cobra Wide Low. Callaway W Grind. Etc.
True, anything without a cavity is a blade technically. The ones that Ive tried were more the super wide sole cavity back ones and they were very forgiving and easy to hit but didnt seem to have a ton of versatility, which is a no-go for someone like me who needs to be able to manipulate the face because I only carry 1 wedge.

Don't think I have ever owned or tried a wedge that would be considered a wide sole. Certainly not opposed to trying it.

They are too limiting when it comes to creativity - face angle, loft, etc. I think they only really shine in soft bunkers and thick rough.

If golfers were aloud to carry more clubs I’d use one if it had low bounce and a ton of loft (62-64) and it would be exclusively for greenside bunkers and greenside pitches out of thick rough.

I’m trusting whatever he says to get if he shows up at the GD, but after watching all the RFC videos and how well the CBX works for me now, the Jaws wide will probably be my SW.

I added the md5 wide sole low bounce 58 to the bag 3 weeks ago and couldnt be more happy. My miss with a wedge, and it holds me back from swinging full, is digging into the turf. I've yet to dig the md5.

I like enough that I wanted to add a 54 anyways and am now thinking I should go wide in that also.

For reference the wide sole is why I love the cbx in my 48 spot. I like the more spin versus a traditional AW/GW that I usually play in that spot, the added forgiveness of the wide sole really helps me on full swings.

My Cobra Black Wide Low 58 degree has been my best wedge this year. Never was a fan before.

If i am taking a full wedge shot or out of a bunker like a little wider sole for sure. Have the MD W in 60* that I use quite a bit however my Bridgestone XW 1 58 i like for chipping and non full swings and has much less sole.

Back