Theft at Golf Course

Honest question here, but are cards in the USA not pin protected? I'm shocked that you can just swipe for $3k with no PIN or ID check.

Seems so silly to me.

WOW?!? A couple years back I had my Chase card hacked but they were very good about clearing the unauthorized charges. If screwing you is indicative of some new policy that card needs to go. So sorry about your entire ordeal.
I am so pissed right now. Since being a chase cardholder, I've made almost $1,000,000 worth of purchases on the card - all of which has been paid off immediately.

I also just provided all parties involved these screen captures from my iPhone that shows exactly where I was when the thefts occurred. This should for sure prove that it was impossible for me to have made the purchases as I was on the freaking golf course.
IMG_1877.PNG

IMG_1876.PNG

Sorry this happened and your bank isn't believing you.

I've never had any theft problems at any golf course, not even in sketchy areas like Indian Mounds. I have had my card numbers stolen and used on two different occcasions about a year apart, but not from a physical theft. My bank and the card company covered everything, and even fronted money into my checking account to cover outstanding legit charges (they cleaned out my checking account with my debit card). Sorry you're having to deal with this. It's always a big PITA. Hope they catch the buggers.

Update - Chase closed the case and held me responsible because I have a history of purchases at Apple. WTF. Of course the lazy police officer hasn’t done squat on the investigation. I really hate to do it, but I may have to get my friends in power in that particular jurisdiction the police officer works in to put some pressure on that officer to get to work doing his job.
Really??? Wow that sucks. I've never had anything but good experiences with Chase fraud... hopefully there's a way to appeal the decision.

Also, seems like there's nothing around Gateway National... definitely wouldn't have expected theft from nongolfers there!

Also, seems like there's nothing around Gateway National... definitely wouldn't have expected theft from nongolfers there!
There's nothing in the immediate area around it, but Madison, Venice, Brooklyn, and East St. Louis are all just a stone's throw away ... none of which fall into the "nice neighborhoods" category. It's also right off I-55/70/64, which makes for easy and quick access from St. Louis City.

Screen shots prove you were not at the purchase...They do not prove whoever was at the purchase was not there with your card with your approval to utilize. I'd be going apeshit on Chase appealing up the ladder and utilizing any leverage you have to bring additional pressure to bear via getting others to walk away from Chase.
On the bigger situation of theft at golf courses.....I am surprised that there isn't much more. I think how you drive up and they throw clubs in your car without any checking....Golf courses are an easy target.

Man that really sucks...

We were also lamenting the other day about the odds of retrieving clubs lost at the golf course. 20 years ago, you could be 99% sure they would turn up in the pro shop later. Nowadays, we figure 50-60%.

I keep all my cash and cards in my front pockets at all times, but I constantly worry now about my golf clubs that I keep in the back of my SUV. The windows are tinted but the clubs are visible for anyone taking a close peek.

Dude that sucks, I've never been a fa of Chase. Anyhow hope you get it all worked out.

Working in the financial industry, it really is unfortunate the amount of fraud that occurs and the amount of fraud that the FI's are on the hook for. The Chip cards have helped but they don't fix the issue that you had. I have resorted to always using a credit card instead of a debit card due to the fact you have more protection and it doesn't have that connection to your liquid cash.

It is unfortunate, especially the ones who are able to commit fraud through hacking, that they have decided to use their skills for bad instead of good. Unfortunate your situation as you look at your course as your "home away from home" and to have something like that happen in your own "home" feels all the worse I'm sure!

I just hate thieves,

I once lost $14,000.00 dollars worth of tools when they broke into my trailer and the house I was building. They also stole a tile-cutting machine that the homeowner was using. I was told I didn't have coverage for tools that were stolen because they were not in my shop. But I could get coverage for future thefts at a cost of $4000.00 a year. I thought to myself. I might as well put my tools out on the curb, free for the taking. At least I would have new tools every three years instead of paying the insurance company. Sorry for my rant.

wubears71, I feel your pain and frustration.

Honest question here, but are cards in the USA not pin protected? I'm shocked that you can just swipe for $3k with no PIN or ID check.

Seems so silly to me.
All you gotta do is put card into card reader, and the system charges it. Ever since we have moved to chips on cards, not one cashier employee has asked to check ID. If physical card is presented, it is more than likely going to go through without issue unless it has been reported missing or stolen.

That’s sucks! This is another reason I don’t leave my wallet anywhere except my back pocket. I always do the triple check before going anywhere...wallet, phone, keys.

Ugg, brutal. This is why I hate leaving my clubs at a bag drop or my clubs unattended for any period of time. If I leave them, I’ll usually throw a towel over the top of them.

Sad how dishonest people are at times.

Sorry this happened and your bank isn't believing you.

Yes, there is no way Chase can hold you responsible. I'll make sure to never open a Chase account.

Sucks that it happened Wu. Had my whole set of sticks jacked once.

All you gotta do is put card into card reader, and the system charges it. Ever since we have moved to chips on cards, not one cashier employee has asked to check ID. If physical card is presented, it is more than likely going to go through without issue unless it has been reported missing or stolen.
When we moved to chip cards it coincided with a PIN number being required. I can tap the card for any purchase under $100, but beyond that you need my PIN to use it.
You're telling me that in the USA if I steal someone's card I can go nuts with it until they report it stolen? That's insane. No wonder so many cards get stolen.

When we moved to chip cards it coincided with a PIN number being required. I can tap the card for any purchase under $100, but beyond that you need my PIN to use it.
You're telling me that in the USA if I steal someone's card I can go nuts with it until they report it stolen? That's insane. No wonder so many cards get stolen.
Yep. And then in my case It’s my fault that the Apple store employee didn’t verify that the person using my CC was me.

The fact that I give my CC to a server to take to back of house to run a transaction still blows
My mind. When I was in Europe 10 years ago, the machine was brought to me. I was the only one that handled my card.

True but how does Apple just let purchases like that go without checking ID? Mind boggling

I actually have “see ID” as my signature and rarely get asked to see ID. I do say thank you when the cashier asks.

Yep. And then in my case It’s my fault that the Apple store employee didn’t verify that the person using my CC was me.

The fact that I give my CC to a server to take to back of house to run a transaction still blows
My mind. When I was in Europe 10 years ago, the machine was brought to me. I was the only one that handled my card.
Up here (Canada) servers don't take your card anywhere. Machine comes to you or you go to a central machine.

Update - Chase closed the case and held me responsible because I have a history of purchases at Apple. WTF. Of course the lazy police officer hasn’t done squat on the investigation. I really hate to do it, but I may have to get my friends in power in that particular jurisdiction the police officer works in to put some pressure on that officer to get to work doing his job.

That totally sucks. I am surprised they held you responsible for the purchases at Apple (even if online) when you could clearly show you were on the golf course at the same exact time.

Sorry for your bad luck. But the Universal Karma is Guaranteed :drinks:

That totally sucks. I am surprised they held you responsible for the purchases at Apple (even if online) when you could clearly show you were on the golf course at the same exact time.
It was a physical store purchase. That’s what blows my mind. All they have to do is pull video and show that I was not the person making the purchase.

Back